• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Memba' These????

eclark1894

Visionary
Thought I'd have a little fun with the youngsters who may not know what these contraptions are.

They used to be quite common. See if you can guess what they are.

upload_2018-5-31_22-59-45.png

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My grandfather told me he once worked delivery for Coca Cola.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Wow! What a memory for me!

We had a drive-thru place that we would go to with the wooden crates full of empties and we would trade them for full ones. All kinds of sodas, too. Well, that's what it seemed like to me. I was very young - probably 5 or 6. Cool stuff!

Charles West

Adventurous
now a question on the old soda bottles... remember the short glass bottles and the larger one .... who know why the short bottle always seemed stronger?

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
We had a drive-thru place that we would go to with the wooden crates full of empties and we would trade them for full ones.

My grandparents used to collect empty lemonade bottles from the local park where they often got dumped, and save them up in plastic crates. There was something like 6 pence value on the bottles back then so when their kids wanted sweets, they would bring some empties to the shop and exchange them for goodies.
They should bring that system back, it might stop all the bottles getting smashed by scumbags if they can get money for them instead.

eclark1894

Visionary
now a question on the old soda bottles... remember the short glass bottles and the larger one .... who know why the short bottle always seemed stronger?
Because they probably were. Shorter bottles tend to run thicker, which of course, means more strength.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
We had a drive-thru place that we would go to with the wooden crates full of empties and we would trade them for full ones. All kinds of sodas, too.
Back in the days when I was still drinking soda, I used to go to a beer distributor store near my mother's house and buy a crate of soda at a time. I liked it because they had the smaller 8oz. cans you don't see in local supermarkets.

They didn't give us the crates like pictured above, though, they were wrapped in plastic, so I only had to cut it, remove the soda cans, and then crumple it up and throw it out. Of course, that was probably about 40 or so years ago, and folks weren't into recycling back then.

eclark1894

Visionary

I used to LOVE Rotary phones when I was a kid. I like to play with them until my mother made me stop.

Last edited:

Charles West

Adventurous
the old glass bottle machine in the local area... central Arkansas used to give tours when I was much younger... grade school. The tourguide showed us how it added syrup, then water and finally a shot of gas and capping was the slower on tall bottles. Since the small bottles took less time to fill they were capped quicker letting less of the carbonation escape after the shot of the gas. That was the secret of the small bottle tasting stronger or 'more bite'

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
We had those all over up North (small town by the Mississippi) Everybody had wooden cases of Pepsi cuz that's the drink of everybody in the North! When you went to the store, gas station whatever, and bought a case of Pepsi, they gave you the case. Then you brought it back with the empties when you were done and they'd give you like 2 cents a bottle for returning then. Ah, the old days.

When I came to Texas and had to learn to drink Coke, it was so nasty and syrup-y. I switched to diet Coke over 20 yr ago and regular Coke still makes me get that 'yuck' face.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That, and no caffeine, are the main reasons I was a dedicated 7-Up drinker. I hated that sweet taste of Coke, and never got into Pepsi at all.

eclark1894

Visionary
Pepsi was always my first choice as a drink with root beer a distant second. I basically drank coke if I couldn't find Pepsi. And Pepsi in the 16 0z. glass bottle, ROCKED! Some how, it just tasted BETTER!

Charles West

Adventurous
Pepsi was always my first choice as a drink with root beer a distant second. I basically drank coke if I couldn't find Pepsi. And Pepsi in the 16 0z. glass bottle, ROCKED! Some how, it just tasted BETTER!

Probably for the same reason that the people that like the short coke bottle... sharper taste more carbonation. The taller bottle had less carbonation and for those that liked pepsi sweet taste it would have seemed sweeter than a short bottle

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
I know now after 25+ years of living in Texas, there's a lot more places here with Pepsi and no Coke products. I tried the Pepsi once out of desperation and it tasted awful to me and gave me an instant pounding caffeine headache. I'm wondering how much caffeine it has compared to Coke.

eclark1894

Visionary
I know now after 25+ years of living in Texas, there's a lot more places here with Pepsi and no Coke products. I tried the Pepsi once out of desperation and it tasted awful to me and gave me an instant pounding caffeine headache. I'm wondering how much caffeine it has compared to Coke.

Beverage Caffeine Amount
Coca-Cola - 12 oz 34 mg

Pepsi - 12 0z 37 mg

The UK has on avereage about 37.6 mg of caffeine in Pepsi. And Pepsi is definitely sweeter than Coke.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Probably for the same reason that the people that like the short coke bottle... sharper taste more carbonation. The taller bottle had less carbonation and for those that liked pepsi sweet taste it would have seemed sweeter than a short bottle

Thank you for that! I've always liked Coke in a small glass bottle better. Thought I was imagining it tasted better. I won't even buy Coke in a big plastic bottle. Tastes flat.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
My dad would go round to the stores and if they were throwing any away, he'd collect them.
Or any wooden delivery crates they discarded, there was always some good wood on them and he used it.
He made knick-knack shelves. jewelry boxes or other things with the wood.
So many, many years ago. :)