• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What's your Favorite Saturday Morning Cartoon show from when you were a kid?

eclark1894

Visionary
I had a bunch of cartoons I used to love watching on Saturday mornings. In no particular order they were:

Topcat.jpg

1. Top Cat

bandc_1435.gif

2. Beanie and Cecil

427936_large.jpg

3. Mighty Mouse

da18c2980690dc12897733e73897a742.jpg

4, Underdog and Friends

Terre

Renowned
I recognize some of the batch there with Underdog.
Remember Tennessee Tuxedo? Professor Peabody? For me they were right up there with Rocky and Bullwinkle.
My favorite wasn't a cartoon though. It was Barrier Reef. Too bad I was watching it on B&W TV since it was filmed on said reef as far as I know.
Pink Panther. Roadrunner.

eclark1894

Visionary
I recognize some of the batch there with Underdog.
Remember Tennessee Tuxedo? Professor Peabody? For me they were right up there with Rocky and Bullwinkle.
My favorite wasn't a cartoon though. It was Barrier Reef. Too bad I was watching it on B&W TV since it was filmed on said reef as far as I know.
Pink Panther. Roadrunner.
I never saw Barrier Reef. But I had my favorite live action Saturday morning shows too. Roy Rogers is one and do you remember a show called Sky King?

McGyver

Energetic
It was the early to mid 70s when I was Saturday morning cartoon age, so there were not a lot of great cartoons at that point... Well, at least well animated.
I preferred the older ones that were generally on early most weekdays... I remember most of the ones in the OP.
Of those, Top Cat was my favorite... Rocky and Bullwinkle too.

Probably the Bugs Bunny cartoons from the late 30s - 40s were my overall favorite.
I used to like the ones where he would ruin some bad guy's day by getting them to defeat themselves or by using other clever tricks... The ones where he stuck up for "the little guy".

Saturday morning cartoons... When did they fade out? I noticed some time in the late 90s that there weren't really any on TV anymore.

Didn't watch TV as a child, and really never did.
Except on rare occasions when at someone else's house, or in a club that has TVs all over.
But a band I was in once, did Jazz versions of TV theme songs and the audience just loved it.
One of my favorites was the Woody Woodpecker theme.
Man, that song SMOKES! I had a Bass solo in that one that got people jumpin'.
Another favorite was a theme from a very popular show about some rural community.
From way back but I can't even remember what it was called.
Very catchy tune, kind of goes.. dada dun, la di da da, la di da da, la di da dun dun di da di oh
err.. that looks kind of stupid...
Too bad I can't write the notes here.

eclark1894

Visionary
Eeeew... was that the water for the train, or the drinking water they were bathing in?
They weren't "bathing" in it. They just used to swim in it. And I think it was water for the Cannonball. Trivia fact: The Cannonball Train used on Petticoat Junction and Green Acres was the same Train used on The Wild Wild West.

Terre

Renowned
Sorry, I'm from '62 and never heard of Sky King. I am aware of Roy Rodgers though. Looks like that would have been one I'd have liked.
Which reminds me..... the cartoon Emergency +4 led me to watching Emergency. I guess it served it's purpose there.

I figured to play it on my keyboard and record the MIDI, and then display the music notation.
But who reads music anyway?
Only when I played it I remembered what we called it: Theme From Mayberry
So I searched it and the song is really named 'The Fishin' Hole' and the show is The Andy Griffith Show.
Anybody remember that?

Terre

Renowned
Yup. I didn't watch it very much though. What I saw more of was a spinoff. Gomer Pyle, USMC.

Oh and another one that could really cook is the theme from the Flintstones.
We had some real vulgar lyrics that the singer would sing to it sometimes, in certain kind of clubs.

eclark1894

Visionary
So I googled the Saturday Morning line up from 1966. I was 8 years old at the time. For everyone 25 years old and younger, there were only 3 networks way back there in the prehistoric days They were ABC, CBS, and NBC. After cartoons were over, we went outside and played with our actual real life friends.

10AM - The Porky Pig Show

10:30AM - The Beatles

11AM - The New Casper Cartoon Show

11:30AM - The Magilla Gorilla Show

12PM - The Bugs Bunny Show

12:30PM - Milton the Monster

1PM - The Adventures of Hoppity Hooper

1:30PM - The New American Bandstand

8AM - Captain Kangaroo

9AM - The Heckle and Jeckle Cartoon Show

9:30AM - Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales

10AM - Mighty Mouse Playhouse

10:30AM - Linus the Lionhearted

11AM - Tom and Jerry

11:30AM - Quick Draw McGaw

12PM - Sky King

12:30PM - The Adventures of Lassie

1PM - My Friend Flicka

9AM - The Jetsons

9:30AM - The Atom Ant Show

10AM - The Secret Squirrel Show

10:30AM - The Underdog Show

11AM - Top Cat

11:30AM - Fury

I don't recognize the show Fury, but I used to love my friend Flicka. That was a show about a horse.

Terre

Renowned
I recognize a number of them. Flicka was a cartoon? I'd have wanted to see that if I'd known about it. I think my first exposure to Saturday morning cartoons was in '69.

eclark1894

Visionary
I recognize a number of them. Flicka was a cartoon? I'd have wanted to see that if I'd known about it. I think my first exposure to Saturday morning cartoons was in '69.
Flicka was a live action show starring a young Roddy McDowell... and a horse named Flicka. I have to admit though that I did dink there was a cartoon Flicka but I'm thinking now it may have actually have been a Black Beauty cartoon adaptation.

Terre

Renowned
I read My Friend Flicka and Thunderhead (the sequel) as a teen. A live action show (loosely) based on the book sounds vaguely familiar but I never saw it.

Your comment about The Beatles reminds me of some cartoons (verrrry loosely) based on real people I saw: The Jackson 5, The Osmonds, and The Harlem Globetrotters.