• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

eclark1894

Visionary
@Rowan54 what a fun story! I was feeding the squirrels and birds one day at our local park, when a red tailed hawk swooshed right by my head and flew UP-ward fast (or would have run into a bank of bushes that the critters dashed back into)....I'm sure the hawk was disappointed.... but that was my "close encounter"! :)
I used to have a Siamese cat that was tortured by several cat-birds around my house. Whenever he walked out into the front yard, unless one of my family was with him, they would swoop down onhim from the powerlines. Just to mess with him.:sneaky:

Actually, I don't know if it was a "real" cat bird. We just called it that because it kept attacking our cat. It also sounded like the birds were laughing at my cat.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Sounds like mockingbirds. They'll do that too. Although I suspect that there is more than one kind of bird which likes to taunt predators.

Actually, as to the snakes, it isn't that there aren't some fairly decent snake models out there, but that there are very few snake pose sets. And the prospect of needing to pose a snake, isn't for the faint-hearted.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Mockingbirds are notorious cat attackers.

Here's an Iray render of my Common Poor-will, a nightjar that often seen in our yard at dusk, camped on the ground, patiently waiting to hawk Sphinx Moths. I was searching my library looking for an environment/ground texture that holds up well to close focus and went, duh! lol... why not use my Sagebrush Habitat, after all, that's what I created it for (to hold up to close focus shots).

common poor-will iray1.jpg

The common poor-will is the only bird known to go into torpor for extended periods (weeks to months). This happens on the southern edge of its range in the United States, where it spends much of the winter inactive, concealed in piles of rocks. This behavior has been reported in California and New Mexico. Such an extended period of torpor is close to a state of hibernation, not known among other birds.

Last edited:

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
It also sounded like the birds were laughing at my cat.

I've heard birds laughing at my cat...but only when they were firmly out of reach. He was on the ground, they were up in the tree going "CAT! CAT! CAT! CAT!" or something that sounded a lot like that.

Birds do take every chance to tease the cats, even the small birds will.

I was standing where I could see the mailbox, waiting for the mailman to show up and holding my cat Molly. And here comes a chickadee and at a safe distance it said "Dee, dee dee". Then it came a bush or two closer and in louder, more raspy, and more derisive voice said "Dee dee dee!" Then it came closer and got nastier sounding until it was like three feet off and going "DEE! DEE! DEE!" Molly wanted that bird so badly, but I was holding onto her.

And there was the incident with the wet muddy deep spot with blackberry vines over it, and a bird sitting on the vines calling in a loud voice. (Thrush? Chickadee? I don't remember, not a big bird.) I was watching for several minutes, realized that the cat, if it jumped at the bird, was going to end up in deep water, and that the bird was basically saying "Here kitty kitty kitty!" Sure enough, the cat leaped, the bird flew, and the cat landed on the blackberry vines, with feet placed on the vines. (Small cat.)

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
While even I enjoy hearing some of the cat stories, I feel I should point out that domestic cats are a huge issue for wild bird populations. They kill (conservatively) 1.4 billion birds a year (and probably up to 4 billion). In the last decade, they are responsible for at least a dozen bird species going extinct. While I have no issue with our local bobcat hunting squirrels and an occasional bird, domestic cats are not welcome in our yard and belong within their owners property.

I won't lecture any more other than to suggest these Audubon articles...

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Mine stay inside or are supervised.
And after some of the stunts my sister "the ornithologist" pulled, I'll keep my cats.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The health of birds and other small animals is one of several reasons Tsuki is an indoor cat, as was Taeyn. Once I was divorced and Sushi was no longer living with a dog, she too became an indoor cat. Rather difficult to keep a cat indoors when you have a doggie door.

Last edited:

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I tend to disapprove of wandering pets. They tend to be a nuisance, and are at risk of all kinds of health and safety issues.

As are their means of access. Some people in my APA (Amateur Press Association) reported last mailing that they'd had a problem with a family of marauding raccoons which had decided that they wanted into the house -- through the cat door. They ended up with a new hi-tech door and chipped cats. The raccoons, not being fitted with computer chips are shut out (for now). It would have been better to have kept the cats inside imho. I don't think I'd want any pet of mine wandering around where there were known to be raccoons.

eclark1894

Visionary
Hmm, I can see I'm going to be in the minority here. I do have tremendous empathy for any restricted animal, even though I know it's sometimes necessary for the animal and/or the public and wildlife. It's one reason I don't own a cat now. I'm not home during the day, and I absolutely HATE the idea of having to keep a cat or dog for that matter in the house all day, and I'm not a fan of having a dog chained in the yard all day. I've tried long chains, but I swear they get tangled up on purpose just to make me feel guilty for doing it.:sneaky:

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I'd rather my two elder cats had more time outside, but I do take them for walks. Under supervision. There are coyotes here. Wolves. Predatory birds. The great horned owl is more than big enough to take out a cat...they've taken down foxes. The cooper's hawk takes down chickens, which are bigger than my cats. We also have bald eagles which are always looking for easy meals. (Yes, we're close to a river.) Generally I let them play in the yard while I'm out there working in the garden.

As for birds, there has been major loss of bird, and animal, life in my local area logging the forests and people putting in big lawns and then using spray on them. I have birds here that ought to be in the high mountains, but those got extensively logged, so the birds are here. The hills behind me are being logged again, county owned land, only the gods know why they're logging in February, 1/4 mile back, the racket is incredible in the day time. Most of the local old growth forests have been cleared to make housing developments over the last few decades. (I've lived here 63 years, I know what it used to look like.) I'm sure people are more than happy to blame the disappearance of wild birds in those areas on domestic cats while avoiding the mirrors that'd tell them that cutting down the habitat and then planting a house and alien foliage there BY HUMAN BEINGS did more damage than any amount of pets of any species.

There are NO feral cats out here, not any more, even if we're where the clueless idiots from the city dump the pets they decided just didn't fit their decor. A very large coyote pack picks off anything it can reach. I had to rescue the deer from them the other day, the coyotes were trying to run them to death.

Why are the birds, and the animals, here, in my yard? I'll you why. Have any of you actually LOOKED at the packets of photos I posted here in the store? "Rowan's Forest" being a prime example. That's MY land. It's in Open Space, a nature conserve. Forest that's more than a hundred years old. I have the pictures up for sale to help raise money to pay the taxes due to keep this place wild.

Correction: The two packets taken ENTIRELY on my own land are "Forest Mist" and "Rowan's Forest". The rest were taken elsewhere.

Last edited:

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I've tried long chains, but I swear they get tangled up on purpose just to make me feel guilty for doing it
Yes, I've tried long chains as well. The doggies were amazingly good at getting themselves tangled. I also was sure they did it on purpose so we'd either let them loose or let them in.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have three cats. Two hate going outside. One likes to go for a walk around the house every now and then but he's always back within 15 minutes. At 15 and 14 and 14 I don't think the birds have anything to fear from them.

Aww I just checked out the Eagle cam he's sleeping!

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I have two cats. At 11 and 15 the birds have nothing to fear from one of them. The other one is getting up there, too.

eclark1894

Visionary
Maybe there's something I just don't understand. So I'm bringing it up here hoping someone will "splain" it to me. I've always admired a cat's hunting ability. And yes, they are formidable natural predators. But as good as they are, I don't think they can fly. Birds can. Now, I've lived at my current location for years. Since I was twelve. And while Raleigh,NC maybe not be a rural town, there's plenty of greenery and such around. Even though that's shrinking. In the last few years I've even seen deer in my back yard. Something I never saw as a kid. I've had cats before and there are still several cats hanging around the neighborhood. I've never thought this area was being "overhunted" by cats although, admittedly I see far fewer mice around than I used to. And I have contemplated getting a cat to help curtail some of the lizards that like to use my home as their base of operations.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating that people NOT control their animals and pets. I would never do that. And it's most likely that, in my case at least, I just haven't been paying attention, but, again, in my case at least, I'm not perceiving a problem.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
And the birds can sit out at the ends of the twigs which won't hold the weight of the cat and go neener neener. I've seen cats try to hunt birds there, and fail.

My cats hunt mice, rats, and other small things that are on the ground such as voles, moles, shrews, baby snakes, small lizards. The only time they can even get to birds is when the birds are on or near the ground or have a nest in something the cat is able to climb to. Cats can jump, but still that only covers things within 3 feet of the ground and still needs a fair amount of luck. Many of the trees here run to 40 or 50 feet high and the flocks of little birds are usually well out of reach up trunks that cats have very little luck climbing.

As for the wild kitties: I saw a bobcat take a flying chicken at 9 feet off of the ground and then run with it, but I think it was hidden up on top of the chicken house when it started the leap. I was out there guarding the chickens, only 15 feet away and unable to move fast enough to stop this. The whole thing was over in under a second. (But why the *best* rooster instead of the one I wanted to be rid of?) And no, I don't clip wings on chickens or claws on cats. I am on the edge of the wild. There is no good reason to disarm one's allies here. Chickens and cats are enough of targets without crippling them.