• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Cooking Thread

McGyver

Energetic
I've been known to dip BBQ chips in soft vanilla ice cream. I like the salty and sweet combination.
Have you ever tried the Wendy's Frosty/ Wendy's Fries combo?
My friend used to dip her fries in the Frosty, which I thought was nasty, until she stuffed one in my mouth...
Of course she got bitten, but it turns out the combo wasn't bad... The finger, not so much.
I occasionally will partake of it (Frosty/Fries... Not fingers, humans taste bad), because my kids have now discovered it.

McGyver

Energetic
McGyver made me do it.:)

Funny you should say that...

About sixteen years ago I made "squab" for my wife and taped that (above) recipe to the inside of a cupboard door where she would hang some of her recipes... Oddly, she laughed at it and for some reason it is still there.
The real recipe called for beer... Me drinking beer... Apparently a lot of beer... Thus the really bad handwriting.
Oddly, I don't write recipes, but all my recipes involve me drinking beer.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Squirrel, Pidgen they all taste the same after several beer.:sick:

I can believe that but do they taste like squab?

For that matter, what does squab taste like?

Let's see. I've eaten rabbit, goat, snails on a pizza no less while stationed in Berlin before the wall fell. Soybean burgers and mystery meat taco's and duck. Still, I've never eaten a squab. I really don't want to eat anything that is staring back at me. I would include a googled picture but @Bonnie2001 would most likely faint.

D

Deleted member 325

I can believe that but do they taste like squab?

For that matter, what does squab taste like?
I would imagine squab tastes a lot like Pidgeon since it is Pidgeon.

I myself have mostly had the ordinary domestic fare, except for Venison and Duck. There are several other meats I would not mind trying.
I have had a wider variety of seafood, but can not remember specifically all the differing Sushi's I have tried (I am sure eel was among them), a host of shellfish, Squid, and Octopus (including self cooked once), Scallops, and I am certain since in my childhood my folks bought whichever tuna was cheapest I have had dolphin.

On my list of want to try is Snake (specifically Cobra from a proper Indian restaurant that prepares them right), Gator, Shark, and wild boar.

McGyver

Energetic
Snails on pizza...
Yeah... Not bad, but you have to leave the pizza out overnight in the garden to get enough snails to congregate on it...
Too much time involved.
Flies on pizza is much quicker.
Also pigeon on pizza, but it's really feathery and you have to move quickly or the topping flies off.
Well... Most of the topping...
Sometimes the main topping leaves complimentary toppings behind.

Sorry... It's a food thread.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
That looks delicious Ken!

I took several cooking classes before I moved here. They were taught usually by visiting chefs. My favorite was taught by John Ash. So I'm sorta not a slouch in the kitchen but better at meats, vegis and grilling. Been making bread for decades. Still I have to ask, what is Creme of Tartar? What's it do? I see it in a lot of recipes and I usually avoid those. :cautious:

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thank you. I could have googled it but I figured I would rather ask.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That looks scrumptious Ken. I wish I could eat it, but I suspect tangerines are as high in calcium oxilate as oranges, and I've been off them since losing a fight with a recalcitrant kidney stone back in 2009.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Tangerines cause kidney stones? That must be mitigated by the eggs in the souflee. If I find it, I'll definitely try it.

@McGyver If the Pizza is made in Fantasia, you'll find the snails much quicker. It's a never ending story...

Miss B

CV-BEE
No, anything that's high in Calcium Oxilate "can" cause kidney stones, depending on how much you consume. Oranges are very high, so I think Tangerines might be high as well. There's a whole list of foods I either have to avoid like the plague, or can only eat in small quantities, like Broccoli, which is my fave green veggie.

I think my undoing was because I ate 1 or 2 oranges every night for dessert for a long time, and even though I always drank water every day, I wasn't drinking enough to flush my kidneys, so there was a build-up, and eventually a problem, though my kidney stone had already passed out of the kidney, and got stuck in the ureter that runs between the kidneys and the bladder. OUCH!! I don't EVER what to go through that again in this lifetime.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Thanks Miss B. I sometimes forget that it's a lifetime accumulation of the things I've done (or haven't done) that can cause medical problems. For instance I used to eat a large pizza. I mean the entire pizza with no problem and I thought, with no gaining of weight. That suddenly changed when my blood pressure was high and I noticed that I suddenly weighed more than the heavyweight champion of the world. I realized that I wasn't as active as I was and changed my diet accordingly. I now weigh what I did in the 90's (I am 59) and my blood pressure dropped accordingly.

I've heard about kidney stones and after your description of yours it reminded me that 'I don't want that' was one of my sayings. Geez, how you passed that stone sounds you're tougher than I'll ever be!

Robin's Super Bowl Spread for two.

Medium sized Pizza with Pepperoni, Sausage, Mushrooms and olives.
Artichoke Spring Rolls
Sauteed Spinach
Pumpernickel Bread with real butter.
Homemade Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream
Coffee with the cake. Pepsi with the meal.

No Spirits of any kind though it's not a rule. I can drink a beer or have a glass of wine but since Sweetheart isn't indulging, I'm not either.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've heard about kidney stones and after your description of yours it reminded me that 'I don't want that' was one of my sayings. Geez, how you passed that stone sounds you're tougher than I'll ever be!
Oh I didn't pass it whole. I had a procedure called Lithotripsy, which basically is Ultra Sound Shock Waves. I was completely out for about 50 minutes, and didn't feel a thing afterwards. Then I passed all the little pieces the Lithotripsy made of the whole kidney stone. I believe it's used for gall stones as well, but only up to a certain size. Once the stone's too large, then they have to operate.

quietrob

Extraordinary
As I said, "I don't want that" was one of my sayings and I think it still applies. Still, getting Lithotripsy sounds a bit easier than passing than stone as is and a hundred times better than surgery.

Now I'll be wondering I can enjoy orange juice! How can an orange or a tangerine be bad for you? Even every day. It sounds like you were eating healthy back then.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well the oranges for dessert were certainly better than the "snacks" (namely chocolate related) I usually eat after dinner. ;)

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
When my youngest son was a teenager he got into cooking. We cooked "together" every night. I would actually wash dishes and just instruct him what to do. He's gotten to be an amazing cook as an adult. For about a year we wanted to work out the best meatloaf recipe ever so we cooked a meatloaf once a week for the year. Here's what we came up with.

Two pounds of hamburger
One pound of ground sausage
Bell peppers, different colors
Chitpotle in adobo sauce
Onion
Garlic cut fine
One egg
One loaf of Dutch crust french bread
Pineapple chunks (optional)

Dice up peppers and onion, saute in olive oil until softish. Stir in chitpotle (about two or three), some of the sauce and garlic. Let it cool down, Add hamburger and sausage. Tear up french bread into one inch squares or so. Add to the hamburger, add egg and mix it all together. Bake at about 350 for about 45 minutes to an hour. Makes two good size loafs.

You can add different kinds of peppers depending on how hot you want it, Anaheim whatever.

Man it's soooo good!