• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Cooking Thread

McGyver

Energetic
A food thread...
Hmmm... Interesting...
I'd offered some recipes, but I don't use recipes... In fact I'm pretty sure I've never measured any ingredient deliberately in any of my own concoctions.
I've been told I'm not a bad cook, but most of the people who tell me that are very optimistic about their own abilities to judge food.
You know... That friend who suggests a restaurant and then you go there and it's worse then the cafeteria at the penitentiary for the criminally insane...
One of those gothic ones, not any of the new ones.
But regardless, it's usually not that bad.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Why not? We have a TV show thread and everyone watches some form of TV. I can also guarantee that everyone also eats. Probably everyday. Except those who eat at the cafeteria for the criminally insane. If you do eat there do as I do.

Hold out for Fish Sticks.

Who doesn't like Fish sticks?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Mmm fish sticks and fish stick sandwiches! Haven't had those in ages. Now I'm craving them. Thanks Rob! :cautious:

quietrob

Extraordinary
Heh! I know! Now that you wrote crave and Fish Sticks I am suddenly craving Fish Sticks. With Tartar Sauce. Ketchup is okay but definitely tartar sauce. (Don't let the @McGyver talk you into fish and vinegar. They put mayo on their "Freedom Fries"!

glennf

Eager
This is my favorite recipe.

ingredients.
1 sixpack of your favorite beer
1 Container of your favorite nuts
1 Frozen Pizza

Step 1 open first can of beer and take a sip.
Step 2 hit preheat on Oven and take another sip.
Step 3 open container of nuts and do a test sample and another sip.Wait for preheat noise to go off.
Step 4 Place pizza in oven and start timer (Box says it takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour to cook).
Step 5 another sip of beer and 20 minutes later realize you left the cardboard on the bottom of the pizza.Remove cardboard.
Step 6 after the sixth beer and when pizza is done remove from oven,cut into 8 perfect slices(you think), retire to your favorite spot in the living room,doze off
and hope Sweetheart will clean up the mess and put leftovers away.

quietrob

Extraordinary
This is my favorite recipe.

ingredients.
1 sixpack of your favorite beer
1 Container of your favorite nuts
1 Frozen Pizza

Step 1 open first can of beer and take a sip.
Step 2 hit preheat on Oven and take another sip.
Step 3 open container of nuts and do a test sample and another sip.Wait for preheat noise to go off.
Step 4 Place pizza in oven and start timer (Box says it takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour to cook).
Step 5 another sip of beer and 20 minutes later realize you left the cardboard on the bottom of the pizza.Remove cardboard.
Step 6 after the sixth beer and when pizza is done remove from oven,cut into 8 perfect slices(you think), retire to your favorite spot in the living room,doze off
and hope Sweetheart will clean up the mess and put leftovers away.
Probably the best post of the day!!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
What? You actually wait for the oven to preheat?!?

Apparently, Consumer Reports recently reviewed frozen pizzas. I was pleased to see Amy's Cheese Pizza was in the top 2.

Ain't no such thing as Freedom Fries!

Freedom Fries and Freedom Toast went back to being called French Fries and French Toast after Bob Ney (R, Ohio) left the US Representatives in 2006. Since he was Chairman of the House Administration Committee in 2003, he was able to instruct the House cafeterias to change the names without a House vote.

The mandate was quietly reversed after he left office because of scandal. The following year he was convicted on charges of corruption and sentenced to 30 months in jail.

So ... out of curiosity, I went searching for who puts mayo on French Fries (abomination!) . It seems mayo or a mayo based sauce is popular in many countries including Belgium, Netherlands, and France. But in the US, ketchup is the most popular (and frequently only) condiment served with fries.

quietrob

Extraordinary
The former workmate did talk me into trying Ranch Dressing on my pomme frites. It wasn't bad!

Fries into Vanilla Ice Cream? (Shivers)

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Have you guys tried spicy fries? There are some restaurants around here that have them. They use paprika and garlic salt. Wow are they good!

I was soso about fish sticks until I saw James May (Top Gear) on one of his shows make a fish stick sandwich. Now I love them.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
We have deep fried Mars Bars - yum!

Yes quiterob, the sundaes are a vanilla soft serve (I'm not sure if they use any of the syrups when they dunk) but crisps sound good too!

D

Deleted member 325

Freedom Fries and Freedom Toast went back to being called French Fries and French Toast after Bob Ney (R, Ohio) left the US Representatives in 2006. Since he was Chairman of the House Administration Committee in 2003, he was able to instruct the House cafeterias to change the names without a House vote.

The mandate was quietly reversed after he left office because of scandal. The following year he was convicted on charges of corruption and sentenced to 30 months in jail.
An Ohio politician charged with corruption - unbelievable!
J/K - you can't throw a glance out here without seeing a corrupt politician - and what really bugs me is most of the people in Ohio seem ok with it. I'm the odd man out for speaking against it so often (but not raised in Ohio, just trapped here...sooo)

So ... out of curiosity, I went searching for who puts mayo on French Fries (abomination!) .
I disagree - I love dipping fries in mayo... or sometime blue cheese dressing. I was never a big fan of Ketchup(aka, catsup, Katsup). Sometime I like a little gravy onmy fries (mmmm...gravy fries) - but the do-all, end-all is Chili-cheese fries! Nuthin' beats them chili-cheese fries.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yep. I mean these.

upload_2018-1-18_8-52-27.png

Dipped into ice cream. Breyers is my ice cream of choice for Root Beer Floats.
upload_2018-1-18_8-53-33.png

For Ice Cream on its own, my first choice is Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and my second choice is the Cherry Garcia.
upload_2018-1-18_8-59-16.png

Third choice is Talenti Gelato Tahitian Vanilla Bean. Seasonally, Talenti Gelato Egg Nog.
upload_2018-1-18_8-55-22.png

Fries into Vanilla Ice Cream? (Shivers)

McGyver

Energetic
My favorite ice creams...
Häagen Dazs: Pineapple-Coconut and their Green Tea...
Turkey Hill: (All Natural) Blueberry.
I could eat deadly quantities of these flavors...
In fact, if anyone wants to off me, please send several cases of any or all of these flavors to me... I guarantee I'll eat them all and if the quantity is sufficient, croak as a result.

I used to really like Breyers until they were brought up by Unilever and they dropped the "all natural" philosophy.
They still have some flavors that are mostly natural, and they all still taste good, but at least around here they charge way more for them and without the all natural goodness, I don't bother unless they are on sale.
When I was a kid I lived about a mile from the Long Island City plant (long gone) and my dad and me used to go there once a week and stock up on discount (red mark) ice cream.
I'm not sure if it was near expiration or overstock, but they used to sell 1/2 gallon containers with a red check mark on the top, really cheap.
Actually, there were a lot of factories in our area that sold similar stuff... We had Entenmann's Bakeries, Silvercup bread (now a movie studio site), Hostess, Dannon, Chicklets (until it blew up) and either Russell-Stover or Barton's chocolates... There were lots of others, but I forget the ones we never really went to.