• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Since I always use Indirect Lighting (IDL), I always render my pngs with the IDL Sphere. But if I'm rendering for a mask (no background), I uncheck Visible in Camera.

The sphere still affects the scene (which is necessary when using IDL), but it is no longer is visible in the render.

This works for anything that you want to still affect the scene, but not be visible.

upload_2017-12-6_8-8-24.png

I render to PNG format in Poser as well, though if I'm using Bagginsbill's EnvSphere, or Snarly's EZDome, then those backgrounds don't render transparent. I still prefer PNG, though, as there's no detail loss like there is with JPGs.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhh, now that's not something I've considered, but if I'm not using a particular HDRi scene, then it would certainly work. Thanks for the tip Satira. I'll definitely have to try that out.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I should have a few more new damselflies to show soon... hurricane force winds and a very nearby fire have put a crimp in my work schedule. No real worries about the "Creek" fire which is burning about 1.5-2 mi to the west of us, because the winds are blowing away from us. The winds do occasionally shift so there's a hint of concern with us. It's pretty calm here now. The big issues are from the wind damage as we brace for a second set of Santa Anas winds tonight (they last 2.5-3 days, usually a constant 25-50 mph with occasional hurricane force gusts (75+ mph).

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Take care, and hopefully you won't have to put up with the Santa Ana Winds a 3rd night.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Dragonflies & Damselflies of the World Volume 1 was submitted a couple days so you should see it in the store around Christmas. I've also updated the entire Lizards series (Base set +3 volumes) and submitted that as well. What's updated in Lizards? I rewrote it to resemble my "newer" releases... it's has a native DAZ Studio version now, in-Library links to the manual and the content was moved to a "Lizards of the World" folder with 3Delight, Iray, Firefly and Superfly renderer subfolders. The Superfly version is new since Poser 11 didn't exist when Lizards was originally released.

As I've stated in the Songbird ReMix message thread, this next year I'm going to try taking the updating of my entire library (to support Iray/Superfly and more modern techniques) more aggressively. I hope to premiere most, if not all, the newly updated Songbird ReMix library for my annual Audubon sale in April. As always, my updates will be free to those who have purchased the product(s). There probably won't be too many "new" products released by me between now and so support my updates by looking through my existing catalog.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thank-you everyone and Merry Christmas... I didn't do any holiday renders this year so I'll recycle last years image using the HW Horse and Dusk, Laurie's Demin pack and my Sagebrush habitat (with the snow machine python script) and some of my SBRM birds.

wintersagebrush.jpg

The Dragonflies v1 and Lizards will show up between Christmas and New Years'. I've also just updated the Moth series. While that series did have a DS native format, but wasn't in the same format as my more current products (with separate Iray/3Delight property folders) and the Poser side didn't have a Superfly version. I also added online links to the manuals. This update will probably show up after New Years. I strongly suggest before installing the Moth and/or Lizard series updates, deleting the old product folders since the update version has a different directory tree.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
LOL I don't feel so bad- I didn't have time to do a new Christmas card this year either....

Love this image Ken! And Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
As lovely a render as it was last year! Merry Christmas :)