• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Help need 3D paint program

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I desperately need a new way to paint on 3D models, seem fixing, adding tattoos over seems etc are the main uses I need.
I really need some thing that lets me save with a transparent background as well as all the normal suspects. What ever program I end up with needs to be able to run without a internet connection, so Blacksmith 3D is out and I really don't want to go down the path of subscriptions either.
Cheaper the better as I don't have a lot to spend, ( read flat broke), but if it is mind blowingly amazing I will consider it :)
So what are your suggestions hivemind?
Cheers

Jay Versluis

Admirable
Hmmm... I hear you about disliking the whole subscription idea, but frankly you may be best off investing $10 into Photoshop per month, or trying to pick up a copy of any of the "Extended" CS versions if you can. Photoshop does exactly what you want, i.e. paint on 3D models, with all the Photoshop goodness you've grown to love over the years. I resented $10 a month at first too, but I use Photoshop for so many things, I don't notice $10 missing from my account (and I feel encouraged to sell SOMETHING of equal value or more every month to make up for it, kind of a nice kick for me).

Carrara does some of what you're asking, and it can be picked up for ridiculous prices at times, like under $20. Stick it in your wishlist and keep an eye on it every now and again.

SketchBook Pro and Clip Studio Paint DO NOT help you with painting on 3D models, just thought I'd let you know, in case you thought about trying those. They're good for other 2D related stuff, but not for 3D things.

In the "totally free" category, there's really nothing better than Blender: it DOES 3D painting, and seam fixing, UV fixing, does not connect to the internet to check, and basically everything you ask. However, the learning curve may appear a tad steep. It all makes sense once you're in that mindset, but it can be off-putting at first. I know I'm not selling it, but it's totally FREE and will be forever, so it doesn't hurt to get into it. Besides, it does so much, you will be rewarded by giving Blender a go.

D

Deleted member 325

In the "totally free" category, there's really nothing better than Blender: it DOES 3D painting, and seam fixing, UV fixing, does not connect to the internet to check, and basically everything you ask. However, the learning curve may appear a tad steep. It all makes sense once you're in that mindset, but it can be off-putting at first. I know I'm not selling it, but it's totally FREE and will be forever, so it doesn't hurt to get into it. Besides, it does so much, you will be rewarded by giving Blender a go.
Blender can paint directly on 3D models? Hmmm... when I tried it way back in 2012 I do not remember coming across this. How are the paint tools? I may have to give it another look (been meaning too just not really keen on learning yet another program when so many features of what I have I still do not use.)

Jay Versluis

Admirable
@Kage: They're basic to surprisingly good: you can paint with textures, stencil things on, paint with alphas, use different brushes, I believe you even have layers like in Photoshop. Darrin Lile has some tutorials on this, let me see if I can dig some out. Like so many things in Blender, it's all about which buttons to press to make it happen ;-)

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I use Blender. It'is free (as everybody knows) and I learned how to paint in Blender with the tutorials that Jay Versluis has posted above and I highly recommend it.
Blender doesn't have so many brushes like others paid programs but you can paint over the seams and add textures and export to Photoshop or Gimp and finish it with more details.
Search for the Sickleyield's videos on youtube. She also uses Blender.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Found this one with an internet search. There's a YouTube vid and the download link's in the description:

Thanks, pity its for non commercial as I need it for work on things I want to sell here.

Krita | Digital Painting. Creative Freedom.

I don't use it, but I hear Krita is a great free program. Not sure if it does what you need, but you might want to take a look.
It looks good for 2D stuff but I don't see any thing about 3D there, thanks any way I have bookmarked it for later at any rate.

Hmmm... I hear you about disliking the whole subscription idea, but frankly you may be best off investing $10 into Photoshop per month, or trying to pick up a copy of any of the "Extended" CS versions if you can. Photoshop does exactly what you want, i.e. paint on 3D models, with all the Photoshop goodness you've grown to love over the years. I resented $10 a month at first too, but I use Photoshop for so many things, I don't notice $10 missing from my account (and I feel encouraged to sell SOMETHING of equal value or more every month to make up for it, kind of a nice kick for me).
Correct me if I an wrong, but with the subscription the program needs to be on a computer with net access yes? The only computer of mine that is connected is the laptop and I don't use that for my art at all.
I have tried photoshop's 3D thing and found it totally useless and clumsy.

Carrara does some of what you're asking, and it can be picked up for ridiculous prices at times, like under $20. Stick it in your wishlist and keep an eye on it every now and again.
Huh did not know that, I think I have a copy of it round here some where that I picked up stupidly cheep ages back. I might need to look into that, thanks

I have tried Blender a few times but I just can't seam to get to grips with it, that really sucks as I can see it would answer so meany of my problems with 3D creation :(

I use Blender. It'is free (as everybody knows) and I learned how to paint in Blender with the tutorials that Jay Versluis has posted above and I highly recommend it.
Blender doesn't have so many brushes like others paid programs but you can paint over the seams and add textures and export to Photoshop or Gimp and finish it with more details.
Search for the Sickleyield's videos on youtube. She also uses Blender.
Thanks, I just wish I could get my head round the learning curve

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Eh? I was seeing a price of $149, thats not that much more than Blacksmith so is not unreasonable for me to consider

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I saw the same pricing Dreamer for and Indie License. It's possible FL clicked on one of the other licenses for businesses who need more latitude with what they can do with it.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Yeah I was only looking at the Indie one as there is no way I'll ever earn over 100k let alone 100m lol It would be nice but not going to happen in this life

Nod

Adventurous
I desperately need a new way to paint on 3D models, seem fixing, adding tattoos over seems etc are the main uses I need.
I really need some thing that lets me save with a transparent background as well as all the normal suspects. What ever program I end up with needs to be able to run without a internet connection, so Blacksmith 3D is out and I really don't want to go down the path of subscriptions either.
Cheaper the better as I don't have a lot to spend, ( read flat broke), but if it is mind blowingly amazing I will consider it :)
So what are your suggestions hivemind?
Cheers

Blacksmith 3D 7 works without an internet connection. I was happily using it a few weeks back when my router had died. Funnily enough, Texture Transformer2 didn't work until my connection was back up.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
@Nod That is really interesting, I was under the impression it needed a connection the same as the Texture Transformer. I may just have to go do some digging on that

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Hmm well after having a look on their forum, and finding some one else asking the same thing, it looks like the bottom line is it needs a net connection at random times to phone home. Nope not going to try it.