• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser 11 improvements and node-material saving

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Yes. But can you elaborate on "setting part of a material doesn't overwrite all the rest" in a case of a big tree?

eclark1894

Visionary
We have to gather everybody to request SMS to make this a default behavior in Poser 12 - setting part of a material doesn't overwrite all the rest. If they get enough requests, it gets upvoted in their priority list. :)
Make a petition. I'll sign.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yes. But can you elaborate on "setting part of a material doesn't overwrite all the rest" in a case of a big tree?

It's what I have been discussing all along - Poser should allow us to change the transmap from a material without forcing values for everything else.

Make a petition. I'll sign.

It doesn't work that way - you have to make the request directly to SMS. They have a forum about "Feature Suggestions for Poser 12", but that's NOT the place to do this either. You have to use the Poser technical support page to submit the request. This the only official channel for the general public. If you happen to be a Poser beta-tester, you can submit the request directly to SMS through the internal tools.

SMS has already warned people that they occasionally look at the public forum about Poser 12 suggestions, but that's not the official way.

eclark1894

Visionary
It's what I have been discussing all along - Poser should allow us to change the transmap from a material without forcing values for everything else.

It doesn't work that way - you have to make the request directly to SMS. They have a forum about "Feature Suggestions for Poser 12", but that's NOT the place to do this either. You have to use the Poser technical support page to submit the request. This the only official channel for the general public. If you happen to be a Poser beta-tester, you can submit the request directly to SMS through the internal tools.

SMS has already warned people that they occasionally look at the public forum about Poser 12 suggestions, but that's not the official way.
"Warned" people? Do you know how big a stink I had to raise to get them to do that?:sneaky:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
"Warned" people? Do you know how big a stink I had to raise to get them to do that?:sneaky:

That thread is getting very long and busy as people post their hopes in there - but it's also very disorganized and filled with unrelated comments, which is the usual with forums. SMS already has a HUGE list of feature requests and enhancements in the internal beta program. I have been posting my requests there since Poser 7, first through John Csaki from tech support, and now by the beta testing program (since late 2015).

Considering how disorganized the forums are, I believe the internal beta will be where SMS will be looking for features for Poser 12.

eclark1894

Visionary
That thread is getting very long and busy as people post their hopes in there - but it's also very disorganized and filled with unrelated comments, which is the usual with forums. SMS already has a HUGE list of feature requests and enhancements in the internal beta program. I have been posting my requests there since Poser 7, first through John Csaki from tech support, and now by the beta testing program (since late 2015).

Considering how disorganized the forums are, I believe the internal beta will be where SMS will be looking for features for Poser 12.
There's a link at the very beginning of the thread where you can make a suggestion or request for features you'd like see in Poser directly to SMS. That was created by SMS for the people in that forum to submit to Poser.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
There's a link at the very beginning of the thread where you can make a suggestion or request for features you'd like see in Poser directly to SMS. That was created by SMS for the people in that forum to submit to Poser.

And yet, a lot of people just post it at the forum. :)

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Good if you have only 1 transmap in a tree.
What if you have two - like in case of a lace dress, tiled one for a pattern and big one for an overrall form/cutout?

I sent my requests via dedicated request form firstly. But later duplicated it via support too.

And please everyone pester SM about the possibility to load SF materials as a new layer too. (Three checks button? :))

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
So, how Poser should determinate what to swap? (It's exactly why I 'm for explicit marking for such nodes/parameters.)

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
We have to gather everybody to request SMS to make this a default behavior in Poser 12 - setting part of a material doesn't overwrite all the rest. If they get enough requests, it gets upvoted in their priority list. :)
Again, Poser already allows you to add as many nodes to the tree as you want without overwriting anything. Just use the double check marks. Otherwise, really, no, they should not make those presets assume they know how you want that preset to fit into the existing tree, and certainly shouldn't remove anyting. It takes three clicks to select the node(s) you want gone, delete them, then connect the new node(s) to the same input.

Wanting to replace a specific node with another specific node is, well, specific. That's why it's better done with a script. As a general concept, it depends on you making a very specific type of material in a very specific way. Which is basically not how nodes work.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Again, Poser already allows you to add as many nodes to the tree as you want without overwriting anything. Just use the double check marks. Otherwise, really, no, they should not make those presets assume they know how you want that preset to fit into the existing tree, and certainly shouldn't remove anyting. It takes three clicks to select the node(s) you want gone, delete them, then connect the new node(s) to the same input.

Wanting to replace a specific node with another specific node is, well, specific. That's why it's better done with a script. As a general concept, it depends on you making a very specific type of material in a very specific way. Which is basically not how nodes work.

I don't mind fiddling with nodes for my personal work, but that's unacceptable for store products. If it takes writing a Python script to have it done, then it's something that is lacking in Poser. The idea is very simple - if the preset only has a map attached to the transparency channel, then that's all that is going to be changed in the existing material. It doesn't have to assume anything. If my preset doesn't try to set other parts of the material, it means we don't want to change them. Just leave them as they are, instead of assuming they should get default or random values assigned to them, which never did any good.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
OK, got the news letter letting me know the updates for Poser 11.1 are available. I think they may have rushed things a bit. Poser update went in but the content update won't allow me to install it. I've double and triple checked where my Poser directory is and it's there, the Poser.exe is there but the browse dialog won't accept that. I'm floored how ludicrous this is. Any help please? thank you!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Actually Rich, someone posted a similar issue on the SM Poser forum earlier, because that person had the content on her/his D:\ drive, which was never a problem before. I'm not sure anyone there had any initial thoughts on what the problem is, but know you're not alone.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, for what it's worth, I had to re- add my 2014 content to the list of external runtimes, but I haven't had any problems other than that.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Expanding on @kobaltkween 's post, this MT5
0 ambient boost nodes.png
in my Superfly material sampler pack is just a cluster of nodes; the intent is for you to add to -not replace- your color texture nodes, and plug your color texture into the booster cluster. It will make your material glow, actively casting light.:D

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary

That's so outdated. I think a feedback page on Facebook would be the simplest way to do this.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Actually Rich, someone posted a similar issue on the SM Poser forum earlier, because that person had the content on her/his D:\ drive, which was never a problem before. I'm not sure anyone there had any initial thoughts on what the problem is, but know you're not alone.
Hmm, well my content is on the C drive as it's expected to be and backed up on other drives for safe keeping but this is the DEFAULT directory that SM set up Poser 11 with:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser 11 Content\

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
AHA! Yes, I changed the name of that folder to Poser11Content-2, and just install my content to the Runtime in my C:\3D Applications\Poser 11\Runtime folder.

That said, I also use an external Library that I can view in my browser, mostly because the Libraries would jump around every time I tried to access a thumbnail. Some folks think that's extra work, but I prefer it, as it gives me more room to view the contents of each of my Library folders.