• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

LIE and Geometry Shells...

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I apologize, I was thinking that my previous link had offered a complete solution for this, but I forgot that I had to use a workaround. I was able to add the layers, but didn't find a way to have a variable base layer; ie, the currently applied texture or material. Seems like Snarly's EZMat should work for this, but I downloaded and installed it but can't get it to show up in Poser or do anything at all. I've been searching for a solution to this for Poser 9+ also, since I need it for my StarStorm project for Dawn.

Ran across a nice video of an alternate method to do the layers, too. I like it better because you don't need an alpha map, just your layers and a color math node. Here's the link:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I downloaded EZMat, but never got around to installing it, so haven't an answer for you as far as that goes. Maybe a shout-out to Snarly will get him to stop in and help you (us) to get it to show up in Poser. ;)

I'm interested in this.

I have python code that does what you want.
That code is currently embedded in EZMat, and works for Firefly.

EZSkin 3.2 will have full support for tattoos, scars, dirt etc, using the EZMat code but updated to accommodate the Superfly renderer with its support for layers.

EZSkin 3.2 won't be available for a while yet, though. I have to do 3.1 first :)

However, if any vendor wants me to work with them to create a custom script that makes layersin Firefly I'd be happy to collaborate. As I said, the code already exists so I shouldn't think it would be too difficult to extract it from EZMat to make a simple standalone utility.

You might also be interested to know that the EZMat layering in Firefly is actually far more powerful then the simple layers option for Superfly ;-)

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
That's what I'm talkin' about! Is it also possible to link to python code from an .mc6 file? I assume that wouldn't be difficult.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Snarly, that is very generous of you.

I'm not yet to the point of doing the Poser materials - I'm currently working on the DS geometry shell/LIE materials for this. When I reach the point of doing the Poser materials - if the blender node trick is not doing what I want it to do - I might take you up on that offer.

Edit :
I meant to add this originally - this is, at this point, for multiple reaasons which I won't go into, going to actually end up being a freebie, rather than a store product. I still intend to do a Poser version regardless, though. I just want to get the DS materials done first, since I'm the most familiar with those, and then I'll dig into Poser and see about getting it set up somehow for Poser.

Last edited:

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Well, I for one, am at the point of working on Poser materials. The blender node works, or even the color_math node, but I haven't found a way to use a variable, that is, the currently used texture, as the base layer. It has to be set specifically. So whereas in DS, with one preset you can apply a new layer over whatever texture you already have, in Poser you have to specify each layer. Which means you have to have an extra preset for each texture.

This is especially problematic when there are two of such layers that you want to add. For example, my Star Storm glider has base textures, then a decal layer with numbers and caution signs, then a grunge layer. I would like the ability to mix and match, applying either or both of the overlays.

It seems like all that is needed is a small script to get the currently loaded texture name and insert that into the blender node. But at this point I don't know anything about python scripting. Which is, I guess, where Snarly comes in.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
So whereas in DS, with one preset you can apply a new layer over whatever texture you already have,

Yep. THAT is what I'm intending to do with this, and that's what will determine whether or not a Poser version does come out.

The blender node works, or even the color_math node, but I haven't found a way to use a variable, that is, the currently used texture, as the base layer.

So.. if I'm understanding correctly... this means there MUST be an underlying skin texture already assigned in order to work? As in the Blender node won't just add things in over the top of whatever texture is already applied?

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
So.. if I'm understanding correctly... this means there MUST be an underlying skin texture already assigned in order to work? As in the Blender node won't just add things in over the top of whatever texture is already applied?

That's correct. At least, I haven't found a way to do it. I was looking for a shader node to add a variable string that it grabbed from the currently applied texture. May be possible with one of the inventory scripts already included in Poser. But I couldn't really find anything. Probably too complicated, will need a script.

That's correct. At least, I haven't found a way to do it. I was looking for a shader node to add a variable string that it grabbed from the currently applied texture. May be possible with one of the inventory scripts already included in Poser. But I couldn't really find anything. Probably too complicated, will need a script.
It is complicated.
it's not just the underlying texture map, but the specular settings, the bump map, the displacement map, the transparency map, the reflection settings ... you have to take everything into account for it to work properly. And, of course, there are a gazillion ways all those nodes might be combined in an existing shader...

Can be done, though.

Mannequin, with basic texture

1.jpg

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Snarly, I would be VERY interested in some kind of utility that would allow us to mimic the LIE editor's functions on the Poser side. Absolutely. I would gladly pay for it, to be honest. LOL

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I was hoping you saw this Seliah. ;)

Oh, I saw it alright. :) I'm working on it, actually. Fighting with seams - STILL.. sighs - for the face/skull. But the whole rest of these dirt overlays are done, placed, and currently being set up for materials inside of Studio. There's a total of 26 overlays which... it's my intent to be done so that people can use as many or as few as they want. Hence why I was digging for a way to achieve a LIE editor type of functionality in Poser in the first place. :)