• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

LIE and Geometry Shells...

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I have that advanced shader and the person using it the other end (ie the customer) will also need it, so if it disappears from rdna and does not reappear anywhere else then the customers who do not have it will not be able to use your product. Its a shame that they do not make this part of poser, like they do other python scripts. then it will be accessible to anyone who has poser.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah. I do understand, Dawn. Don't worry. I got it. I'd rather not rely on something that people need a third party script for. But I'm going to look at both methods.

The alternative is no Poser version of the pack.

frogimus

Adventurous
Maybe you could package it as "usable in Poser with manual adjustments" then just make sure the texture and mask are easy to find, plus a HowTo.

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Yeah. I do understand, Dawn. Don't worry. I got it. I'd rather not rely on something that people need a third party script for. But I'm going to look at both methods.

The alternative is no Poser version of the pack.

lol sorry, did I repeat myself, ;):p

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It's a thought - and something I've been thinking on. If the Blend node works, then great - but if it doesn't work to let people just apply it over the top of whatever skin they might have loaded, then I'll go from there.

I just don't like relying on third party scripts for a product. As Dawn has pointed out, should that script ever disappear, then the item would be unusable if the script is required to LOAD the items with.

As it stands right now, the item is functional in DS via the geometry shells. So it doesn't matter what texture a user has loaded, they just load the geometry shell and voila, the overlays sit on top of the figure without mucking up their skin texture and materials.

That's the kind of functionality I was hoping to achieve on the Poser side. If I don't find a way to achieve that kind of functionality, then I might as well just distribute transparent PNGs or PSDs and people have to edit their skin textures and materials all by hand. And, as has also been pointed out, at that point there will be folks asking about whether or not it can be used as an MR - and in this particular case, I don't want it used as an MR. I know a really determined user would just grab the textures/mask out of the Runtime/Textures folder, but if it's buried in there instead, it does kind of help make the point that the item is NOT an MR.

lol sorry, did I repeat myself, ;):p

LOL Maybe once... ;)

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
It would be really lovely if someone in the HW team who is in the know (hello to the gurus \o/ waves pandies) Could write a script and have that in HW store for a small cost (or free would be better) then Dawn, and even Dusk, could have all the makeups/mud splatters/cuts/bruises/tattoos/ketchup spills in the world.

Do ya think I shouted my hint loud enough? :)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Lyne, Are you applying that manually or is that tattoo a one click mc6 "does the business for you" type of thing leaving the original skin intact? The only way I can see it working is to use Semidieu advanced shader plugin that was available at RDNA, I believe lululee uses that for her corsets and such. The end result can be achieved using math nodes and masks but it's all manually done and a customer will not be willing to do all that if they purchased a product. When you save you cannot save without the skin and it wont load leaving the original skin intact.

Having said all this,my LIE pack relies on black and white masks for the majority and the colour is changed in the surface tab so you wouldn't even be able to add the colour shadows in the manual way in poser if you had the pack, you will get a black face with skin coloured eyelids/lips

edited to correct vendor who has plugin

um I didn't do anything but click on the "material" of ShannasSoulMate (the creator)... so that's why I took a screen cap to show the set up... I want to try this out myself... by making a design on a white (or maybe it's got an alpha?!?!) layer and inserting it as shown... it's all new to me!!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
um Dawn, I can apply the poser "Dawn Tattoos" to ANY Dawn skin I have, in my poser 2014!! It somehow just inserts itself in/on any character's skin I have! :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It's a thought - and something I've been thinking on. If the Blend node works, then great - but if it doesn't work to let people just apply it over the top of whatever skin they might have loaded, then I'll go from there.
Well, I decided to try out the Blender node, and it works. It took me a few tries to find the exact spot to plug it in, but it works. I placed a butterfly on DawnSE's default face map, near her right eye. Character skins have so many node/palettes plugged into one another, it took trial and error to figure out which one to plug where.

Thanks to 3wComics for the link to that thread on the RDNA forums. ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Not sure if this still works the same way as I don't use it much

PhilC Designs: Home | Tutorials | Texture & Materials | Second Skin

I asked this same question and got pointed to a thread at RDNA. You basically have to use a blender node in Poser. I will find the link and post it.

EDIT: Here it is:
Layered image preset in Poser 9?
That's very similar to what I did in shadermixer to get a similar effect but with makeup.

@Seliah, would it be possible to do it with the Dawn base skins and let people know that they would need to manually adjust to different skins?

Thanks 3WComics for the link...I grabbed it to so I could have a look at it.

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
um I didn't do anything but click on the "material" of ShannasSoulMate (the creator)... so that's why I took a screen cap to show the set up... I want to try this out myself... by making a design on a white (or maybe it's got an alpha?!?!) layer and inserting it as shown... it's all new to me!!

Now I know who the vendor is, (couldn't work out who shanaC was) i had a look at his store at rendo, not the one you have i don't think but a similar product and he has stated the following:

Scarred is a Python Script for adding different types of Wounds to any V4/A4/G4 Character using only the Poser Material Room.

So he has a built in script that allows it to work on it's own. It seems to be that the methods we have encountered so far all use scripts of some form, VSS, EZMAT EZSkin, Semidieu advanced shader.

We need a script at HW, one that we know will not disappear, even if it is only usable on Dusk, Dawn and Luna as not sure if the uvmaps would have to be considered in the process.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
@Seliah, would it be possible to do it with the Dawn base skins and let people know that they would need to manually adjust to different skins?

That defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do, Pen. :)

MissB managed to get it to work via the Blender node. I have a good screenshot showing how, plus I've been reading on that thread linked earlier. So I think I can make it work the way I want to... we'll find out for sure once I get down to the nitty gritty of setting it all up in Poser.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I have that advanced shader and the person using it the other end (ie the customer) will also need it, so if it disappears from rdna and does not reappear anywhere else then the customers who do not have it will not be able to use your product. Its a shame that they do not make this part of poser, like they do other python scripts. then it will be accessible to anyone who has poser.

Ah, I didn't realize that you needed it on both ends. I have it, but have never really used it, because it seems to be above my material room knowledge.

We need a script at HW, one that we know will not disappear, even if it is only usable on Dusk, Dawn and Luna as not sure if the uvmaps would have to be considered in the process.

I don't think UV maps would need to be considered, it's probably more about just making sure the right material zones have the nodes applied to them. I'm not good enough with the material room to know what the settings would need to be (a.k.a. whether to use blender nodes etc) but if you told me what nodes you wanted where, I could write a script that would apply those changes.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
ohhhh hmmm, well I may be able to do alternate tattoos by substituting the map at least... for my own use anyway... if it was a script, I'll look into my Python folder... I'm curious now! :)

Holy cow! There are 25 .pyc things in 3 folders for my Dawn tats! I have no idea where/how he got it... he did a lot of packs for V4, just one for Dawn... wonder if he wrote it? There is a folder for poser 2012, one for sss and one other...

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Holy cow! There are 25 .pyc things in 3 folders for my Dawn tats! I have no idea where/how he got it... he did a lot of packs for V4 said:
you will probably find there is a script for each material setting, is there 25 items to apply?
I would imagine its one script with a image/path or setting changed but basically the same each time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I don't think UV maps would need to be considered said:
oooooh that would be great, :)

I am not sure which would need changing off the top of my head, but it would probably involve an image map, image mask at the very least and probably off the alt-diffuse although not sure as I don't do a lot of character skins so not sure of the generic way to do things, it would also mean that more than one layer can be added, can you do the script so that it adds on top of the last rather than replace?

I'd have to play around over the next few days/week to see what's best, I am assuming that Seliah would want more than one layer so you can build up the effect (but I maybe wrong as it's an assumption) my make-ups would definitely need more than one layer