• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Fast giving up on Poser 11 Pro

Hornet3d

Wise
In truth shallow or deep has little impact since I found out that I can use Shaderworks Library Manager. At least you can make a choice as to if it builds a complete database, and spend a lot of time doing so, or build it as you go, that is a real plus along with all the other features and plugins of course.

James R.

Busy Bee
I have nine separate Poser libraries, with items going back to 2006 when I bought my first hair prop at RDNA.

I did a test a few minutes ago. I used the built in library (not the browser version). I checked "Figures" and "Props" then searched for boot. That's a pretty generic search.

It took Poser 47 seconds to go through twelve years of stuff -- though I had to scroll down manually each time it loaded a row of items, because it wouldn't continue otherwise.

In that time it gave me 627 results, including "boots" and variations on "booth".

These are loading from portable USB 3 drives...all spinners, no SSD drives. My system is now 2 years old.

So, based on other comments here, what I'm gathering is... this is unusual?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Frankly, Poser tends to be pretty dumb when searching for files. For starters, the path doesn't have to be wrong for it to get lost - it simply fails to look at all the runtimes as it claims in the manual. A perfect example of that is when you tell it where a texture is, and it keeps asking for the path for all subsequent textures, even if they are all in the SAME path you have just provided. In other cases, all the paths are correct, but Poser sometimes assumes that all items on the scene must come from the same runtime - usually the last one used. When I create new contents, they are in a different drive, and Poser gets confused even when all paths are properly registered as external runtimes. Whenever I access an item from a runtime that is located at a different drive, Poser gets lost if the next item is not in the same drive. It keeps looking at the last place, instead of searching the registered external runtime paths.

So it doesn't matter if we set Shallow or Deep, it's a waste of time either way. It's just that Deep is a bigger waste of time than Shallow. LOL

Hornet3d

Wise
I have nine separate Poser libraries, with items going back to 2006 when I bought my first hair prop at RDNA.

I did a test a few minutes ago. I used the built in library (not the browser version). I checked "Figures" and "Props" then searched for boot. That's a pretty generic search.

It took Poser 47 seconds to go through twelve years of stuff -- though I had to scroll down manually each time it loaded a row of items, because it wouldn't continue otherwise.

In that time it gave me 627 results, including "boots" and variations on "booth".

These are loading from portable USB 3 drives...all spinners, no SSD drives. My system is now 2 years old.

So, based on other comments here, what I'm gathering is... this is unusual?

They are good results and ones I would be happy with but my system is a good few years older than 2 years and while I do have one or two USB3 ports most are USB2. Not that it matters in this case as my runtimes are on a mix of storage but none on USB. The runtimes I use every day are on an SSD drive but has this is limited in size so I have other runtimes that exist on a conventional drive, finally I have a third set that I regard as archived again on a conventional drive.

Having said all that I have not tried a search in the Poser 11 library mainly because I always felt lucky when it loaded and I was not going to push my luck. Even with search set to shallow and reindex on launch unticked it would still go walkabout on a regular basis, by which I mean one white window with no runtimes. Was it indexing.....who knows, I have now way of telling but I returning to Poser 30 minutes later there were still no runtimes, assuming of course, Poser had not crashed in the meantime. Point is that if I run both the Library manager would show all the runtimes within 30 seconds while Poser Library remained blank.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying this is a issue with Poser 11 it could well be my system but, at the end of the day, I just want to be able to use it. As I have been using Library Manager for over 5 years now it would be my preference anyway but I was under the impression it would not work in Poser 11. For me, on my system using Poser 11 it is a very weak alternative to Library Manager but as you have said it really is individual choice based upon your own experiences. You clearly have no issues and based on what you have posted neither would I in the same situation.

James R.

Busy Bee
Frankly, Poser tends to be pretty dumb when searching for files. For starters, the path doesn't have to be wrong for it to get lost - it simply fails to look at all the runtimes as it claims in the manual. A perfect example of that is when you tell it where a texture is, and it keeps asking for the path for all subsequent textures, even if they are all in the SAME path you have just provided. In other cases, all the paths are correct, but Poser sometimes assumes that all items on the scene must come from the same runtime - usually the last one used. When I create new contents, they are in a different drive, and Poser gets confused even when all paths are properly registered as external runtimes. Whenever I access an item from a runtime that is located at a different drive, Poser gets lost if the next item is not in the same drive. It keeps looking at the last place, instead of searching the registered external runtime paths.

So it doesn't matter if we set Shallow or Deep, it's a waste of time either way. It's just that Deep is a bigger waste of time than Shallow. LOL

I agree with you about Poser being dumb with textures.

I disagree with you about Deep being a waste of time because it works for me. ;)

James R.

Busy Bee
They are good results and ones I would be happy with but my system is a good few years older than 2 years and while I do have one or two USB3 ports most are USB2. Not that it matters in this case as my runtimes are on a mix of storage but none on USB. The runtimes I use every day are on an SSD drive but has this is limited in size so I have other runtimes that exist on a conventional drive, finally I have a third set that I regard as archived again on a conventional drive.

Having said all that I have not tried a search in the Poser 11 library mainly because I always felt lucky when it loaded and I was not going to push my luck. Even with search set to shallow and reindex on launch unticked it would still go walkabout on a regular basis, by which I mean one white window with no runtimes. Was it indexing.....who knows, I have now way of telling but I returning to Poser 30 minutes later there were still no runtimes, assuming of course, Poser had not crashed in the meantime. Point is that if I run both the Library manager would show all the runtimes within 30 seconds while Poser Library remained blank.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying this is a issue with Poser 11 it could well be my system but, at the end of the day, I just want to be able to use it. As I have been using Library Manager for over 5 years now it would be my preference anyway but I was under the impression it would not work in Poser 11. For me, on my system using Poser 11 it is a very weak alternative to Library Manager but as you have said it really is individual choice based upon your own experiences. You clearly have no issues and based on what you have posted neither would I in the same situation.

I'm sorry you've found it so frustrating. :(

It sounds like you're having issues very similar to what I had when PP11 first came out. The library was a non-functional disaster for me and for a lot of other people...though there were a few outliers who said they had no issues at all.

I'm glad you have Library Manager to work with, though!

The Professor

Contributing Artist
Speaking of the Library, did you know that you can animate the Icon. You can only do this in Poser 11. How you do it is to make a Gif file and size it correctly then change the file extension to png
such as "running dog.gif" to "running dog.png" I was thinking about doing this for animated pose files...

Nod

Adventurous
What are you guys putting into your Libraries? My Libraries show up instantly. No waiting at all. My computer on the other hand, is a snail. Btw, Hornet, you should still report it to Support. If you're having an issue, while it might only be on your machine, your issue might be someone else's and know how yours was solved could help out someone else.

I don't have a problem either. My libraries load up quicker than they do in Poser 9.