• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Fast giving up on Poser 11 Pro

Hornet3d

Wise
So I took advantage of the sale that was on Poser 11 pro and I started using the program, for my type of renders Superfly is no real advantage but I guessed that when I purchased it. What I did not expect is all the problems I am having but two really bug me. First is the Library, sometimes it takes four of five minutes to load and sometimes it does not load at all, all I have is a white panel. Closing a restarting the library gives the same results but restarting Poser Poser sometimes helps but not always. The auto backup feature that I thought would work does sometimes and not others and often causes Poser to stall. I totally understand it will pause as does the same feature in somethin like PaintShop Pro but not for minutes at a time.

Now Poser takes a long time to load and when it does it will not respond even though task manager states it is running.

I have not reported this to SM for the very reason that others seem to be using it without problems so it may well be my machine, in which case it will have to be put back into the box until I can afford a new one. The aim of this post is not to knock SM or the software but I wonder if others have seen similar problems and have fixes.

I did not pay a lot for this and I have already reverted to Poser 2014 but I would like to use Poser 11 if I could.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yea back when Poser Pro 11 was released I was doing the Dawn Training Gear outfit and found that the library was slow as molasses loading up, that really was off putting. That code should be fully integrated with the program and have the folder links saved and ready to load when the program is started up. Maybe this new team will get that ironed out.

Hornet3d

Wise
The other point I forgot to mention was that the morph brush seems very unresponsive as compared with Poser 2014, which surprises me it does work but the brush seems to either stick or be very jerky.

Hornet3d

Wise
Yea back when Poser Pro 11 was released I was doing the Dawn Training Gear outfit and found that the library was slow as molasses loading up, that really was off putting. That code should be fully integrated with the program and have the folder links saved and ready to load when the program is started up. Maybe this new team will get that ironed out.

Thanks for the response, being slow is annoying but then I am not a vender and a few minutes here and there is OK for me but when it does not load at all, well what good is Poser if you can't access your content.

eclark1894

Visionary
What are you guys putting into your Libraries? My Libraries show up instantly. No waiting at all. My computer on the other hand, is a snail. Btw, Hornet, you should still report it to Support. If you're having an issue, while it might only be on your machine, your issue might be someone else's and know how yours was solved could help out someone else.

Last edited:

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
What are you guys putting into your Libraries? My Libraries show up instantly. No waiting at all. My computer on the other hand, is a snail.

The problem is the initial indexing of the libraries.

Hornet, you're not doing yourself any favors by re-starting Poser while it is trying to perform the index of the libraries. It will continue to attempt a full index every time unless you allow it to complete at least once. When you open Poser 11 for the first time, it will attempt to index the libraries you have loaded, and will do so again if you hit the refresh button or do a search. Those operations will cause a re-index of the libraries for efficiency.

Look just above and to the right of your library. Anytime you see that little yellow circle, the library is being indexed and you would be wise to wait while it does so.
!!LibraryIndexing.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
The other point I forgot to mention was that the morph brush seems very unresponsive as compared with Poser 2014, which surprises me it does work but the brush seems to either stick or be very jerky.

Check to see if subdivision is activated on those items you're finding the morph brush jerky on. The tools work on a base model, not subdivision. When using Poser tools it is a good idea to turn off subdivision, then turn it back on before rendering.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have not had any problems so far.
Before the upgrade to 11.1 the library did not load a few times.
I waited to be sure it was loaded fully before closing and restarting.
Now I must admit that it may have been something I did sometimes I click the wrong places and mess stuff up. :laugh:

Hornet3d

Wise
The problem is the initial indexing of the libraries.

Hornet, you're not doing yourself any favors by re-starting Poser while it is trying to perform the index of the libraries. It will continue to attempt a full index every time unless you allow it to complete at least once. When you open Poser 11 for the first time, it will attempt to index the libraries you have loaded, and will do so again if you hit the refresh button or do a search. Those operations will cause a re-index of the libraries for efficiency.

Look just above and to the right of your library. Anytime you see that little yellow circle, the library is being indexed and you would be wise to wait while it does so.
View attachment 33736

Thank you for the information, the library did do a complete indexing run and for a week of so it worked fine. Since then it is really hit of miss as to if it loads at all, when it does it is certainly fast enough for my needs but it can show a white screen and I have left it for over thirty minutes at one point and still nothing. Did a restart and it came straight back which is not always the case.

Hornet3d

Wise
Check to see if subdivision is activated on those items you're finding the morph brush jerky on. The tools work on a base model, not subdivision. When using Poser tools it is a good idea to turn off subdivision, then turn it back on before rendering.

Thanks for that, I have a render cooking on Poser 2014 at the moment but as soon as that is finished I will try to get Poser 11 running and give it a try.

As an aside, I have found the cause of the problem of today with it launching but being responsive. I use a combination of 3D navigator and a gaming mouse and the gaming mouse has a button for the scroll wheel allowing it to be switched between notched and free flowing. I always have it set to the notch setting but somehow I managed to switch to free flowing and Poser 11 does not like and sees a constant input from the mouse. I only found this after switching back to Poser 2014 and it does a similar thing with the scene zoom creeping all the time. Poser 2104 is not affected as much and you can see it happening, Poser 11 respondes in a different way either not showing anything or occasionally the red circle around a selection flashes, you can click anywhere with no apparent result.

It may be a fault with the mouse or Poser is just very sensitive due to the nature of the program, it is ok with all my other programs so no real issue but nice to find a solution.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thank you for the information, the library did do a complete indexing run and for a week of so it worked fine. Since then it is really hit of miss as to if it loads at all, when it does it is certainly fast enough for my needs but it can show a white screen and I have left it for over thirty minutes at one point and still nothing. Did a restart and it came straight back which is not always the case.

As you can imagine, I'm adding to my Poser library almost daily and when I do, it re-indexes. I find that if I do a full index before I start a project, it does a fast index as I add products and does not cause a delay. When I'm doing a full re-index, I just go make a cup of coffee, take the puppies out for a walk, and let Poser do it's thing and it's much better behaved when we "meet in the middle" in this manner.

eclark1894

Visionary
Hornet, how much content do you have in your libraries and how deep have you set the the library to search? I'm wondering if you have a lot of content and you have the library set to do a deep search, that that might be causing Poser to take a while to complete the indexing.

Hornet3d

Wise
Hornet, how much content do you have in your libraries and how deep have you set the the library to search? I'm wondering if you have a lot of content and you have the library set to do a deep search, that that might be causing Poser to take a while to complete the indexing.

It is quite a lot of content and I left the most the settings at default other then starting with a preferred scene. I think if I remember rightly that the 2014 default for the library was deep, so it could be the same with Poser 11. I am not quite sure why this would make it work sometimes and not others but I value the suggestion and will check. If it is indeed deep I will go shallow and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hornet3d

Wise

Good point Earl. I have my Library search set up to shallow.

OK I have now checked and the default for the library was indeed set as deep. I have now changed it to shallow and launched Poser a couple of times and the library is fast and appears. When I first started Poser 11 I was impressed at how much faster it loaded that 2014 but over a couple of weeks it has become slower but with this change it is faster. Fingers crossed this is the solution but it is looking good.

Thank you everyone for your comments suggestions and support.

eclark1894

Visionary
Glad it helped. I'm not helping anybody it seems with when I try to explain things about Poser at the SM forum so I'm just going to keep my big fat mouth shut from now on.:speechless:

Probably more people that know a lot more than me anyway.

Hornet3d

Wise
Glad it helped. I'm not helping anybody it seems with when I try to explain things about Poser at the SM forum so I'm just going to keep my big fat mouth shut from now on.:speechless:

Probably more people that know a lot more than me anyway.

It is sad when people do not want to be helped but then it is their lost, not yours. I had no hidden agenda all I wanted was to see if I could get Poser 11 to a point where I could use it on a daily basis. I have used the Shaderworks Library Manager 2 for a number of years now and so I am very out of touch with the Poser library. I would still prefer to use the Library Manager but the script does not work in Poser 11 but was getting used to using the Poser library again when all the problems started. Your suggestion has and a major improvement both in the library appearing each time and being much faster so I am very glad you decided to help.

Doesn't matter how much someone knows about a piece of software, if they decide not to share that knowledge it is a waste, but then I am an ex-trainer so I would think that.

James R.

Busy Bee
@Hornet3d There is also a setting somewhere that will have the Library “re-index on Launch”. I have that unchecked, myself, otherwise things slow down a lot on startup. I have 9 libraries with Terabytes worth of content on external drives and the Library is super speedy. I like Glitterati’s method, btw. That’s a great way to keep your Runtimes updated.

As for the “deep vs. shallow” search... unless I’m mistaken (and I very well could be) it seems to me to be just for searching, not specifically indexing. It made no difference when indexing in my experience, but it has directly affected searching.

For me, “deep vs shallow search” has come into play when searching for an item, or if I load an item where I may have, for example, moved a texture to a spot where Poser cant find it. If search is set to “shallow”, things I know are in my Runtime will get missed when I search for them, or when Poser searches for them.

I use the library in a browser, rather than the built in one, though. For my workflow it’s been much faster to ALT-TAB between the browser and Poser than to deal with the built-in library either docked and taking up screen real estate or floating and having to click it open and closed constantly.

As to the auto-saves... It’s very hit or miss for me as well. That seems to have been borked since this most recent “upgrade”. Sigh.

Hornet3d

Wise
As you can imagine, I'm adding to my Poser library almost daily and when I do, it re-indexes. I find that if I do a full index before I start a project, it does a fast index as I add products and does not cause a delay. When I'm doing a full re-index, I just go make a cup of coffee, take the puppies out for a walk, and let Poser do it's thing and it's much better behaved when we "meet in the middle" in this manner.

I often do that with Poser doing things and i would be happy to do it here accept, sometimes it just does not seem to be doing anything at all.

Hornet3d

Wise
@Hornet3d There is also a setting somewhere that will have the Library “re-index on Launch”. I have that unchecked, myself, otherwise things slow down a lot on startup. I have 9 libraries with Terabytes worth of content on external drives and the Library is super speedy. I like Glitterati’s method, btw. That’s a great way to keep your Runtimes updated.

As for the “deep vs. shallow” search... unless I’m mistaken (and I very well could be) it seems to me to be just for searching, not specifically indexing. It made no difference when indexing in my experience, but it has directly affected searching.

For me, “deep vs shallow search” has come into play when searching for an item, or if I load an item where I may have, for example, moved a texture to a spot where Poser cant find it. If search is set to “shallow”, things I know are in my Runtime will get missed when I search for them, or when Poser searches for them.

I use the library in a browser, rather than the built in one, though. For my workflow it’s been much faster to ALT-TAB between the browser and Poser than to deal with the built-in library either docked and taking up screen real estate or floating and having to click it open and closed constantly.

As to the auto-saves... It’s very hit or miss for me as well. That seems to have been borked since this most recent “upgrade”. Sigh.

Thanks for the ideas, I have looked and the re-index on launch is not checked. If the shallow option gives me search problems I have Agent Ransack which can find files very quickly particularly as my runtimes are only across two drives on around a 70/30 split basis.

As for the auto-saves I have turned it off as it is more trouble than it is worth but then I never had it in 2014 so I won't mist it, it was more of a nice to have.