• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Fast giving up on Poser 11 Pro

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I would still prefer to use the Library Manager but the script does not work in Poser 11
? Works for me in PPro 11.1 on Win7.

I use the library in a browser, rather than the built in one, though. For my workflow it’s been much faster to ALT-TAB between the browser and Poser than to deal with the built-in library either docked and taking up screen real estate or floating and having to click it open and closed constantly.
CTRL-~ opens and hides library for me. Same speed as ALT-TAB.

Hornet3d

Wise
? Works for me in PPro 11.1 on Win7.

Thank you so much or that piece of information, I am sure I had read somewhere that it would not work in Poser 11, more than once in fact, so I didn't even try it. Maybe it is Poser 11 and Windows 10 because I am on Windows 7 and as you say, it works. That has made my week, it could even have made my year, but then it might be too early to tell.

Thank you so much for letting me know.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I use my PP11 Library in my browser as well, and use Alt+Tab to go between the two. I've never tried the Ctrl and tilde combo though.

James R.

Busy Bee
I use my PP11 Library in my browser as well, and use Alt+Tab to go between the two. I've never tried the Ctrl and tilde combo though.

CTRL + ~ ...? Could’ve sworn it said CTRL + 1.

I’ll try it later when I’m at my computer.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Err... it's customized shortcut. Love this option of P11. I use it a lot. Like PgDown for render, CTRL-PgDown for render settings and so on. (Use keyboard without numpad, 'cause SpaceNavigator-keyboard-trackball-tablet is wide enough as is.) CTRL-~ just because it's easy to find without looking. And I set one of the tablet buttons to this combo too.

Last edited:

James R.

Busy Bee
Err... it's customized shortcut. Love this option of P11. I use it a lot. Like PgDown for render, CTRL-PgDown for render settings and so on. (Use keyboard without numpad, 'cause SpaceNavigator-keyboard-trackball-tablet is wide enough as is.) CTRL-~ just because it's easy to find without looking. And I set one of the tablet buttons to this combo too.

Cool, that's a nice system. For render settings and rendering I still use CMD + Y and CMD + R ... I'm just used to them after all this time and can use them without looking. :)

Hornet3d

Wise

I have a similar setup but I really have no room for what is a large tablet. I tend not to use the tablet in Poser but a lot in PaintShop and ParticleShop. So I have a Spacenavigator and gaming mouse on the desktop with the tablet on the sliding keyboard shelf directly beneath.

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
@Hornet3d There is also a setting somewhere that will have the Library “re-index on Launch”. I have that unchecked, myself, otherwise things slow down a lot on startup. I have 9 libraries with Terabytes worth of content on external drives and the Library is super speedy. I like Glitterati’s method, btw. That’s a great way to keep your Runtimes updated.

Hornet I tried to check this "Re-index on launch" in my Poser 11 and I couldn't find it. Where do I go to check it?

Hornet3d

Wise
Hornet I tried to check this "Re-index on launch" in my Poser 11 and I couldn't find it. Where do I go to check it?

Not near my main machine at present but I think it is under the library tab under -edit/general preferences. I think it is off by default so unless you have changed it it should not be having an impact on you library. I will confirm the location when i get back to my computer.

Hornet3d

Wise
OK I can confirm the location for the re-indexing on launch. it is under the edit tab - general preferences - library and on the right hand side you have an 'Indexing' choice to select re-indexing on launch. Mine is unticked so I guess unticked is the default.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
As for the “deep vs. shallow” search... unless I’m mistaken (and I very well could be) it seems to me to be just for searching, not specifically indexing. It made no difference when indexing in my experience, but it has directly affected searching.

I think Deep or Shallow relates to how far Poser will go when loading an item from the library, and for some reason it doesn't find it. I believe it is set to Deep by default, and I ALWAYS set it to Shallow. In many cases, Poser gets confused when we load items from different runtimes, and ends up looking for supporting files at the wrong places. This is common when the figure is at one runtime, and clothing is on an external one. There is a 50% chance Poser will look at the wrong place for the files. If we leave it at the default (Deep), it will search the entire disk, which is obviously a huge waste of time. That's why I advise to always keep it at Shallow. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
I think Deep or Shallow relates to how far Poser will go when loading an item from the library, and for some reason it doesn't find it. I believe it is set to Deep by default, and I ALWAYS set it to Shallow. In many cases, Poser gets confused when we load items from different runtimes, and ends up looking for supporting files at the wrong places. This is common when the figure is at one runtime, and clothing is on an external one. There is a 50% chance Poser will look at the wrong place for the files. If we leave it at the default (Deep), it will search the entire disk, which is obviously a huge waste of time. That's why I advise to always keep it at Shallow. :)

On the odd occasion the Poser does not find a file I just enter the name into Agent Ransack and to find the location and then point Poser to that location which is much quicker than letting Poser search.

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
OK I can confirm the location for the re-indexing on launch. it is under the edit tab - general preferences - library and on the right hand side you have an 'Indexing' choice to select re-indexing on launch. Mine is unticked so I guess unticked is the default.
Okay. Found it. Library tab, Indexing, Refresh on launch- Not checked. Thanks.

James R.

Busy Bee

Well, I guess I’m the lone exception in this case, lol. Deep search has never been a problem for me. Deep search works perfectly well and is very speedy for me. Setting it to Shallow has caused Poser to miss items I know I have installed. It’s not a problem for me to wait fifteen seconds for Poser to search my Runtimes...lol

James R.

Busy Bee
On the odd occasion the Poser does not find a file I just enter the name into Agent Ransack and to find the location and then point Poser to that location which is much quicker than letting Poser search.

Since choosing to set search to Deep, Poser doesn’t miss finding anything for me.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, I guess I’m the lone exception in this case, lol. Deep search has never been a problem for me. Deep search works perfectly well and is very speedy for me. Setting it to Shallow has caused Poser to miss items I know I have installed. It’s not a problem for me to wait fifteen seconds for Poser to search my Runtimes...lol

Well that would not be a problem for me either except mine takes a lot more than 15 seconds with Poser Pro 11, but then that might be my system or set up.

James R.

Busy Bee
From the Poser Reference Manual. Essentially: Your Mileage May Vary and do whatever works for you.

• Shallow: Selecting Shallow will reduce the amount of time spent searching for missing or mislabeled files, but will increase the instances of files not found. This option looks in all runtimes for the item, using the relative path and filename provided. For example, if the file specified is Runtime/geometries/FolderA/ ObjectA.obj but the file actually lives in an external runtime folder named C:/MySpecialFolder/Runtime/geometries/FolderA/ObjectA.obj, then the shallow search will find it. The Shallow search will also find ObjectA.obj in any directories that are already known by Poser.

• ƒ Deep: This is the default File Search setting. We recommend that you select Deep file searching, as this option initiates the most extensive searches for content file components, hence increasing the likelihood that missing or mislabeled files will be found. This performs a thorough search in all Runtime folders.

If your Runtime folders are extremely large, resulting in Deep search results that take too long to find missing files, consider changing to a Shallow search.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
All very true James. I happen to do a lot of beta testing, and I need to keep it set to shallow because I don't want poser searching outside of my testing Runtime.

For the general Poser user, Deep would make sense, unless of course they have a dozen or more Runtimes to search through. I only have 3 for general use, so not too bad.

The Professor

Contributing Artist
I have had this happen to me before, where nothing in the library loads, believe it or not when I updated the flash player it worked great. I have had this happen about 4 times. I am on a Mac if that makes a difference. So this seemed crazy to me.....but it worked.