• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

ZbrushCore - new app from Pixologic coming soon

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Looks to be a streamlined version of Zbrush that will be easier to get in to for more people. I'm hoping it'll be a free Sculptris replacement, but I think I'm setting my hopes to high. At the very least, I'd like to see it a bit more affordable than Zbrush itself.

Announcing ZBrushCore

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'd hope it's a lot more affordable than ZBrush. It should be interesting to see what they decide as to pricing.

Edited to Add: Well that screenshot on the forum looks pretty much like ZBrush, so I don't think it's going to be like Sculptris at all, or at least the UI won't be like Sculptris.

Last edited:

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Yea that screenshot makes it look a lot more feature rich than Sculptris. I'll be tapping my foot until the official announcement at the end of September.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Sounds like there is a special offer that includes ZBrush (cut down version) + a Wacom Intuos tablet for $200.

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's pretty cheap. A small Wacom Intuos is $249, and the medium and large are $349 and $449, respectively.

I think the small Intuos is probably around the same size as my Bamboo, which is about the size of a large mouse pad.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I know, I have an old Intuos 3 (6" x 8") that cost me $350 back in the day. The Wacom building quality is great - mine is as crisp and shiny as when I first bought it back in 2004. It still looks brand new and works great in Windows 10.

McGyver

Energetic
I hope it's usable... I heard about it the other day and the first thing I thought was I hope it's not just a really, really cut down version just to promote the tablet... That and I hope they are not going to shelve Sculptris.
I'd hate to see that happen, even if Core was completely free... Alternatives are always good.
A worst case scenario is them ditching Sculptris and offering Core for a lowish price, but feature-wise it not being much better then Sculptris... Just it being Z-brush...
A bunch of software has come about recently that has a free or cheap beginner version, but doesn't really "get you there" enough... In the end with most of them, when you look at the software, you kinda have to think... If I'm not working for a studio that demands I know certain software... Is it really worth it to bother learning a cut down version of software I can't afford... Especially when Blender does this, or is working on doing this anyway...?
I'm a big fan of the hobbyist/student/full commercial license, where the software is the same, 90% of the features are the same (sans truly production house features really only useful to big studios), but the price is based on what you do with it... Student: Free- One year and renew... Hobbyist: Low price, all important features, can be used commercially up to X amount of dollars (mostly they are around $10k)... Full commercial: full price, no limits or restrictions.
Those are awesome and really worth learning, because if the opportunity ever arises for work with a professional studio, you really have the knowledge, as opposed to "knowing of a feature" that you don't have.
Either way, I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that this will be something good and not a "Megh... It's sokay..." Kinda thing.
Thanks Vaskania.

All of the above is ment in a positive way, it just sounds jaded and gloomy... And the thanks are genuine... I just had to add that... Lately, I think people have been misunderstanding me and my way of speaking... Maybe it's the lack of emoticons... But I just wanted to be clear.
Thanks.