• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

ZBrush Core

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Hey just wondering if there is anyone here using Zbrush core and would be able to answer a few questions for me please.

Can I create texture maps, diffuse, bump, normal, in Core?
Can I export those maps to use in other programs, (daz,poser etc),?
Can Core be used for morph creation for Daz/Poser figures?
Can models I make in Core be exported in obj format to then take into other programs?
And most importantly can it be run on a computer that has no internet/wifi connection?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
This might help it compares core to the full version...
ZBrushCore or ZBrush?

I have no idea if goz will work with core but as long as you can import and export objects you should be able to use it to create morphs.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
This might help it compares core to the full version...
ZBrushCore or ZBrush?

I have no idea if goz will work with core but as long as you can import and export objects you should be able to use it to create morphs.
Yeah I looked at that but couldn't really tell if it was answering my questions or not, why I was hoping someone might have Core that could :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Texturing
FeatureZBrushCoreZBrush
3D painting capabilities (PolyPaint)BasicAdvanced
Texture Map support
Projection Painting (SpotLight)

This was the part I thought you would be interested in. It appears that it doesn't do texture maps or projection painting. It leads me to think texturing options are limited.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Texturing
FeatureZBrushCoreZBrush
3D painting capabilities (PolyPaint)BasicAdvanced
Texture Map support
Projection Painting (SpotLight)

This was the part I thought you would be interested in. It appears that it doesn't do texture maps or projection painting. It leads me to think texturing options are limited.
Thanks Pen, sometimes another set of eyes/way of thinking finds the answers that were right there :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That's okay. As someone who uses zbrush some of that probably made a bit more sense to me. Unless you've actually used spotlight for texturing it's hard to understand how much power it has but that's to my mind one of the important features of texturing in zbrush.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
That's okay. As someone who uses zbrush some of that probably made a bit more sense to me. Unless you've actually used spotlight for texturing it's hard to understand how much power it has but that's to my mind one of the important features of texturing in zbrush.
Good to know, so it sounds like it might be a better bet springing for the full one

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
It depends on what you're buying it for. If you want it for the texturing capabilities than no it doesn't look like it's worth buying core. I'm a bit concerned it doesn't seem to do texture maps from that chart and it's reducing the 3D painting to painting with polypaint.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
It depends on what you're buying it for. If you want it for the texturing capabilities than no it doesn't look like it's worth buying core. I'm a bit concerned it doesn't seem to do texture maps from that chart and it's reducing the 3D painting to painting with polypaint.
Yeah I want both the modeling and texturing capability, specifically the ability to bake normal maps. I have Substance Painter and love it but it can only do so much :) Same with my current modeling program, Silo, again I love it and it can do amazing stuff but Zbursh has just that little bit more

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Full ZB will be the way to go Dreamer. Not sure if you are into paying for a Subscription but that's the main way they "sell" ZB over at Maxon, I think it's like $40.00 a month.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Full ZB will be the way to go Dreamer. Not sure if you are into paying for a Subscription but that's the main way they "sell" ZB over at Maxon, I think it's like $40.00 a month.
Nope don't do subscriptions. If I am buying something then I am buying it with no strings, why one of my questions was if it needs an internet connection to run. If that is the case then it will be a hard pass as my 3D computer is never conected

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Not sure about that but have you looking into Blender? The UI isn't much harder to understand than the ZB UI! LOL

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hmmm, well for allot of folks ZB's UI is not very intuitive either.

My advice would be to go watch a couple of ZB vids and a couple of beginner Blender vids (current versions) to determine which software is going to work with how your brain is wired.

I'm in LOVE with the idea of using Blender but I'm so used to ZB and since I've had a mine forever (Back when DAZ and Pixo teamed up to push ZBrush, I think it was version 3.0) I've been upgrading since then and have gotten more and more used to the tools and how things work but trust me I'm a novice at using it compared to others (like Cath, that woman is brilliant using it). Many of the tools are very sensitive and cumbersome to use.

Since Blenders UI transformation it's tempting and one of these days I'll find the time to really immerse myself into it but even with Maxon owning ZB now I have a pretty much up to date version of ZB that I use mostly to model cloths and props and create morphs in. That's all I really use it for.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Dreamer and Rich, if either (or both) of you ever want to watch a couple of YouTube videos about Blender, I can recommend Grant Abbitt, as I've seen some of his videos, and recently purchased one of this online classes at a site called Udemy. Grant and several other instructors got together and formed a site called GameDev.tv. Yes, there's a lot of gaming classes, but also a good number of Blender classes, and even some 2D drawing classes.

Grant has a YouTube video about Blender 3 (the latest is 3.3.0), and I believe it's a 3 part set of videos, and I usually like the way he presents things. You can check it out here --> Blender 3 - Complete Beginners Guide - Part 1. My only suggestion is that you set the playback speed to 0.75 by clicking on the Settings icon, as I find most YouTube tutorials are too fast for my taste. Grant is British, and is very easy to understand, but lowering the speed a little always helps.

I'd also suggest viewing it at full screen so you can see what he's doing more easily.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Hmmm, well for allot of folks ZB's UI is not very intuitive either.

My advice would be to go watch a couple of ZB vids and a couple of beginner Blender vids (current versions) to determine which software is going to work with how your brain is wired.

I'm in LOVE with the idea of using Blender but I'm so used to ZB and since I've had a mine forever (Back when DAZ and Pixo teamed up to push ZBrush, I think it was version 3.0) I've been upgrading since then and have gotten more and more used to the tools and how things work but trust me I'm a novice at using it compared to others (like Cath, that woman is brilliant using it). Many of the tools are very sensitive and cumbersome to use.

Since Blenders UI transformation it's tempting and one of these days I'll find the time to really immerse myself into it but even with Maxon owning ZB now I have a pretty much up to date version of ZB that I use mostly to model cloths and props and create morphs in. That's all I really use it for.
I the past I have played with the free Zbrush trials and found it much easier to wrap my head round and had a lot of fun with sculptus too, Blender is just too weird for me, which is a shame as it is much more in my price bracket lol

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yeah I want both the modeling and texturing capability, specifically the ability to bake normal maps. I have Substance Painter and love it but it can only do so much :) Same with my current modeling program, Silo, again I love it and it can do amazing stuff but Zbursh has just that little bit more
I bought Silo in a deal for $20 bucks years back but have never gotten around to using it. That said the brief look I had you are probably correct. Zbrush has so much it's hard to learn it all.
Have looked at blender any number of times and thrown it out in frustration as I can never wrap my head around it
Me too! It makes my brain melt out of my ears but I want to do some modding for Morrowind again and I'm thinking I'll have to try and wrap my head around it.

I got my zbrush then also as a platinum member for the ridiculous amount of $145 if I remember correctly.

Yes Cath is very good at using as are a number of others whose videos I watch.

Yes the tools are sensitive but I find the longer I play in zbrush the better I get at it. Still have a long way to go to reach the skill level of people like Cath though.

I'm not rapt in the subscription model either so will probably stick with the current version of zbrush...

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I'm not rapt in the subscription model either so will probably stick with the current version of zbrush...
For now they do still have the perpetual license so I am thinking I might need to grab that before they pull it. I made that mistake with some other software.
I bought Silo in a deal for $20 bucks years back but have never gotten around to using it. That said the brief look I had you are probably correct. Zbrush has so much it's hard to learn it all.
Silo has recently been updated and it is way more stable now than it was, not that it was ever as bad as Hexagon, but it did have a few wobbles here and there. It is really good for modeling stuff up quickly with little fuss, I did these up in Silo in about a day and it only took me that long cause I couldn't work out how to do the twisty bit lol
Bronze_Lamps.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I've found that I only need to use zbrush. It's very powerful especially zmodeller function which I still don't use to is full extent. If you can get a full licence and afford to pay for it, I would say go for it. I love zbrush and consistently lose track of time in it.