• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Yet Another Iray Ceramics Pack - advise needed

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
As you may see, I posted some ceramics here

Behind this is a small number of basic shader presets and some maps that can give ~50 main surfaces variations, dirt and smoke not count. Now ready ~15 variations.
Questions:
1. Is another ceramics pack needed at all?
2. Is color variation needed? (there are at least 20 pure clay tints, if I add paint and make presets there would be more than 1000 variations... )
3. Is time-space coordinates for possible (historically) combination needed?
For example:
magrebe2.jpg

Egypt.jpg

Second is possible only on modern market. First too pristine for real life but has its possible place in history.

4. Is there any logical way to lay out such pack to make it usable? One can be is: surface preset, general finish preset, finish variation, than colors if needed (if not working with ready texture) and dirts. Plus some more bold historic presets as a bonus. Are there more ways?

5. There are two ways to work with ready textures/packs. One is use LIE and provide maps for it, other is use custom shaders to overlay some noises transparently for user. Plus: it's simplier for user, probably faster and use less memory for GPU rendering. Minus: users can't use own maps.

When I'll find answers pack will be ready for testing.

frogimus

Adventurous
IMO the "historic" finishes are still found in the modern market. I've seen similar at import stores. I can imagine quite a bit of use for them. They are all very nice!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think they look lovely, and would probably be appreciated by Iray users.

"Clean" historical textures would be nice, too. I can see these shaders in use on pottery in scenes with some of Lully's dynamic clothes, for instance.

Organization depends. Maybe look at how other vendors have laid out their shader packs for some ideas.

While LIE has it's benefits, it can definitely be a bit bulky on resources. Alternative is to use a geometry shell. That allows layers, and would still allow end users to use their own maps underneath. Downside to shells : Using geometry shells means there has to be an object for the shell to be used with.

I think most users appreciate color variations. As many as you like to do. Same for patterns/paints. These make it more versatile which makes such packs more valuable to an end user.

I love the look of them, though. The glazes especially are wonderful.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Thanks to all!
IMO the "historic" finishes are still found in the modern market. I've seen similar at import stores. I can imagine quite a bit of use for them. They are all very nice!
My bad, I was vety unclear. Yes, both styles can be found on the modern market. But first type can be found from 1400 something and still in production, while second is tourist stylisation - more or less ancient forms with modern glaze. And if you put it in historical setting put time machine next to it :) Or Hogben.

Organization depends. Maybe look at how other vendors have laid out their shader packs for some ideas.
While LIE has it's benefits, it can definitely be a bit bulky on resources. Alternative is to use a geometry shell. That allows layers, and would still allow end users to use their own maps underneath. Downside to shells : Using geometry shells means there has to be an object for the shell to be used with.
I think most users appreciate color variations. As many as you like to do. Same for patterns/paints. These make it more versatile which makes such packs more valuable to an end user
For FireFly there was hundrets of presets (Exnem, Fabianna) or Python scripts. For Iray best way seems to be "generator" approach, like for example select surface type - apply partial shader, select color tint of clay or paint (if applicable) - apply, select finish type and preset - apply, select color tint of finsh (if applicable) - apply. Plus some expressive presets as example.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
For FireFly there was hundrets of presets (Exnem, Fabianna) or Python scripts. For Iray best way seems to be "generator" approach, like for example select surface type - apply partial shader, select color tint of clay or paint (if applicable) - apply, select finish type and preset - apply, select color tint of finsh (if applicable) - apply. Plus some expressive presets as example.

So what you could do then is something like this (remember this is just an idea; feel free to do different if you prefer) :

Product Folder --> 01 Surface Type
Product Folder --> 02 Partial Shader
Product Folder --> 03 Colors
Product Folder --> 03 Colors --> Clay
Product Folder --> 03 Colors --> Paint
Product Folder --> 04 Finish Type
Product Folder --> 05 Full Presets

Don't know if that makes sense... I can picture in my head what I'm trying to get out in words here... LOL

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Kind of like IrayPair Hair Shaders by OOT (it can produce more than 100k variants). Yes. And clear "stop here" at some points. (Glaze on wet clay surface doesn't make something good. Or even interesting to see.)
Thanks!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Kind of like IrayPair Hair Shaders by OOT (it can produce more than 100k variants). Yes. And clear "stop here" at some points. (Glaze on wet clay surface doesn't make something good. Or even interesting to see.)
Thanks!

Yup! And when done that way, your end users will have no confusion about what order to apply everything in. :) I've seen lots of shader packs that are organized similarly when the order of application matters, so when you described the process to apply them for Iray, that's just kind of what sounded like it would work.

Good luck with it. By the sounds of it you will have a pretty big pack of shaders before your done!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
5. There are two ways to work with ready textures/packs. One is use LIE and provide maps for it, other is use custom shaders to overlay some noises transparently for user. Plus: it's simplier for user, probably faster and use less memory for GPU rendering. Minus: users can't use own maps.

When I'll find answers pack will be ready for testing.
Just lovely work...just curious why they wouldn't be able to use their own maps. If you've created the shader in ShaderMixer and included a map wouldn't it shop up in the surface tab and be changeable there?

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Might jump few steps in logic. Talking about procedurals or small noise maps here with different from main settings tiling options. 4k noise maps is good for concepts, not when you have 20 pots in scene. And it's all about bump and normal maps, not color maps.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That makes sense...if you use something like the noise brick or even one of the other texture bricks it wouldn't be possible to change bricks without going back into shadermixer. Edited to add the small maps should be changeable though if linked in via an image brick I would have thought.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Edited to add the small maps should be changeable though if linked in via an image brick I would have thought
I still think how far I'll want to go away from Ubershader. And if it legal at all or I need to remade it from scratch keeping only inputs. Or modify shader in place with script.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Aahh...so you're using the ubershader converter for Iray? Are you taking it into ShaderMixer or just playing in the surface tab with it?

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I don't know what is converter. There is !Iray Uber Base (Shader Presets/Iray/Daz Uber/). All that posted before was it in Weighted mode + LIE + hires baked noise maps. It can be used like this, but it's quite wastetfull. So the next step is to take it into ShaderMixer and make some reroutes on the way to Uber Weighted Base node (brick).

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That was what I meant...it's used to convert things to Iray. Yep...Shadermixer will give you more flexibility. I haven't played much with the mdl bricks yet. Sorry I wasn't clear...

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I can't help with your questions, I just wanted to say "WOW! those are lovely!"