• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Working with and questions about SSS

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
is there a way to "turn up" (ie: make skin more sparkly) SSS on an already sss'd character? OTHER THAN using EZSkin2 which DOES wash out or lighten up the entire skin overall.

I'm so terrible, I guess, with LIGHTING... some figures skin just doesn't light up no matter what I do... sigh...

The only way I have figured before is to use a really nice SSS skin and substitute out the texture maps... and that's a LOT of work...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm no SSS expert, and have only been using it on occasion since getting Poser9 a couple of years ago, but wanted to make sure you have Subsurface Scattering checked in your Render settings. If you do, then I'll have to pass, as I really haven't played with it enough to get into the finer points.

bagginsbill

Inspired
Specular reflections are usually what people mean by "sparkle" so when you say "more sparkly" in the same sentence with "turn up SSS" I have no idea what you mean.

As for the skin tone, you know that EZSkin has HSV parameters to lighten/darken the skin and to tint it with any color and to make the saturation more intense. Did you use any of those?

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I think I'd have to STUDY A MANUAL for EZskin... HSV...darken... hmmm so I may be able to add SSS, but keep the skin the same shade it is by trail and error... I'm sorry this is so hard for my dyslexic brain! But thanks for the suggestions...

and yes, MissB, I definitely have SSS checked...it makes that pass first... I MAY be lighting the scene wrong... I use Fabi's Warm&Soul, because every time I use another light type I have terrible results...