• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Working on Some Holiday freebies and would like feedback....

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
Heyas! I'm working on some holiday themed freebies for my store. I'd like to make some holiday suitable textures for

A set of dishes and or table settings
Tablecloth / runner
Quilt, blanket, pillows

Possibly other furniture or soft furnishings

Does anyone have suggestions or requests as to which models I should retexture for each category?
These will be poser shaders for the most part.

I'm looking at the Baroque Grandeur, Curious Tea or Country Kitchen Accessories sets for dishware. I don't have much for table cloths, quilts or blankets so I might make some generic rectangular and square textures.

I'm planning more of the victorian or shabby chic style textures. So more old fashioned, and less modern or toony.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Lyrra

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sounds interesting Lyrra...I have Baroque and Curious...not sure about country kitchen though. I'll have to have a think about any to suggest though...

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oooh! Curious Tea for sure! I so love that set. I also have Baroque, but I'm not sure about Country Kitchen Accessories.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hmmmm, for some reason I never got Curious Tea, but I do have Baroque Grandeur and Country Kitchen Accessories 1. I don't think there's a second Country Kitchen Accessories pack.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
I've gone over Baroque Grandeur and the BG Service set, Curious Tea and Blondies Diner Dishes. Curious Tea has almost everything for a complete place setting - but no knife or wineglass.

I'm going to focus on the dishes in Curious Tea first I think, then jump to the other three sets, simply to have more options. I'll get back to the Curious Tea linens and furniture after I finish with all the dishes. I can make preset place settings as long as people understand they may have to have 2 or more sets installed.

The diner Soup bowl has a soup surface. Suggest your favorite soup if you want it in your bowl :)

LM

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
I'm debating removing the tree entirely. Not particularly sold on it. The rest though I think came out nicely. The other items in curious tea are being grouped into: books, cloth, food, furniture and ShadersOnly. I'll probably include a solid red, green and offwhite to match these texturesmaps. These are poser sf/ff shaders only. Someone who isn't in a grudge match with DS will have to make iray settings.
LM

xmascrockery.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
I think I agree with you Lyrra. The tree could always be an "option" for the holidays, but without it, the set can be used all year 'round.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I like the tree inside the bowl, but less so the outside of the tea set. But it looks really good. That's a lovely set you have going.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
So there was some cussing today. I was planning on using a plain velvet shader in various colours for the cushions on the furniture, but I have found that although the furniture has 2 or more MAT zones they are not arranged in a useful way. The cushion and some of the wood parts are on the same material zone, so alas, if I want more than one cushion colour I will need to make multiple image maps and I can't do much in the way of nice shader tricks. Irksome. Now I'm going to go back and swap out my placeholder black leather for a dark red velvet.

Any rate, heres a nice shined up set of furniture. The cushions will be red shortly.

furniture.png

LM

Miss B

CV-BEE
So there was some cussing today. I was planning on using a plain velvet shader in various colours for the cushions on the furniture, but I have found that although the furniture has 2 or more MAT zones they are not arranged in a useful way. The cushion and some of the wood parts are on the same material zone. . .
Yikes, that would drive me crazy.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
and the texture map for the books is UPSIDE DOWN. Maaaan. Now I know why nobody has ever made a texture set for these models before! I don't know if you've ever tried to type text while it was upside down before, but it sure gives _me_ a headache.

books.jpg

All but one title taken from a list of public-domain Christmas books.

If you are interested, the books are freely available at Project Gutenberg which has been making free digital books since 1971. Yes before ebooks were invented. All public domain books, so a very good source anytime you need to texture books, sheet music or anything else old enough to hit public domain.
Project Gutenberg

Materials used to assemble the covers from these most excellent freebies
Antiche cover book Seamless textures 1

LM

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
Pendraia - oh yes, it is simple enough to flip, rotate and mirror, even live editable text. However all my patterns are set for top-is-up so I had to flip most of the patterns over and then I got the joy of trying to type in new titles and proofread upside down and backwards text on the spines. That is enough to give anyone a headache, even without the fancy fonts.
I could have rotated the whole template, made the texture and then put it back, but I know me. I would definitely forget to rotate it back after. *lol*

It's the little things that make a set easy to retexture, or a pain. I'm afraid this set is unexpectedly challenging. I'm still irked that the furniture is awkwardly zoned. But I shall persevere! I've got the cakes, and cloth items yet to do. That includes napkins, table clothes, runners and rugs. I'm dithering between the easy method - all over fills, or the more complicated purpose made designs, and embroidery on the runner and tableclothes.

Today is a day off day for me (technically) which actually means I'm working on a set of M4 skins I'm doing with another vendor, which will also be converted to Dusk. Yeah I know ... no rest for the wicked :)

LM

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Fair enough...it does sound like a pain to do. I'm looking forward to seeing your skins for Dusk.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Looking great Lyrra. Now I just have to double-check to make sure I have Curious Tea. ;)