• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Will Hivewire offer Maya content?

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
At this time, we have no Maya products that have been submitted..not sure if anyone in QAV has it to test. We do have Bryce products in the store.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Would you be willing to sell other types of content? I would _love_ to be able to sell Blender versions of things here.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
We are open to selling many types of files, however, we would need QAV testers who have and know how to use parent programs they are for.

eclark1894

Visionary
We are open to selling many types of files, however, we would need QAV testers who have and know how to use parent programs they are for.
Actually, that's an interesting question. In fact, what are the rules for using Hivewire figures in other apps like games or even Blender? Something tells me that under current EULA guidelines, it just wouldn't be permitted. And in order to animate figures like Dusk and Dawn with clothes on, you'd have to make clothes an actual part of the figure.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Actually, that's an interesting question. In fact, what are the rules for using Hivewire figures in other apps like games or even Blender? Something tells me that under current EULA guidelines, it just wouldn't be permitted. And in order to animate figures like Dusk and Dawn with clothes on, you'd have to make clothes an actual part of the figure.
Working in Blender (or Maya, or C4D, or 3DS Max) has never been a problem under current EULAs. That's like saying no one could use the content in Vue or Bryce. You can't redistribute someone else's content. That's all. People bring content from Poser and DS into Blender all the time. Sometimes they go back to Poser or DS again for rendering, and sometimes they don't.

Poser didn't invent 3D clothing. It's often efficient for professional studios to make the whole thing one mesh for lots of reasons, but no, it's perfectly possible to make a figure, rig it, and then make clothes for said figure to wear. What we don't have is a Blender version of Dawn or Dusk. That's the issue. You wouldn't have to make the clothes part of the figure. If you look into rigging clothes in Blender, you'll see that you need to copy the weight map from the figure (much like you do in Poser), and you need to make the clothing the child of the rig (essentially, "conform" the clothing to the figure).

But clothing for Poser and DS figures wouldn't be very useful in non-Poser and DS formats. It's other stuff that would.

eclark1894

Visionary
Good to know, as every tutorial I've seen on animation in Blender tends to show the clothing as a part of the figure itself. So, if I rig a Dawn or Dusk figure in Blender to make it animatable. Would the rig be transferable to other figures? Aren't weightmaps the same as a part of the figure or have I gotten things completely out of joint... so to speak?

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
So, first, Blender has Rigify and other auto rigging tools, so I don't know that it would make sense to transfer rigs like that. That is to say, I'm not sure it would be any more of a shortcut, depending on the circumstance. That said, you should understand that armatures are their own thing, and the figure seems to be the child of the armature, not the other way around. Blender's version of conforming is basically parenting the clothing to the same armature as the figure.

If you made the weightmaps, they'd be your creation.

In terms of weightmaps distributed with pre-rigged figures, all I can tell you is that what very, very, _very_ little I know about making conforming clothes for Poser involves copying the rigging from the figure (or a stripped version of the figure). It's not more or less of a copyright issue when you're in a more powerful piece of software. I mean, sure, HiveWire3D (or anyone) could definitely say they allow it in Poser and DS while prohibiting it in other applications, but I'm not sure I see the benefit to that. And they could only do that if they produced the weightmap and rig in the first place, which would be tons of work.

You should almost definitely research ManuelBastioniLAB. I've found many Blender artists use MakeHuman or ManuelBastioniLAB as a base and build from there. Bastioni's tool has incredibly advanced features. I think you might understand how figure tech in Blender works a little better if you see how Bastioni uses it. Also, I think if you're considering Blender rigs for Poser and/or DS figures, you might want to know about the pretty advanced, full-featured competition.