• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Who is lola69 and does his/her script work?

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I actually just spotted this item tonight on Rendo. For the $7 price tag (sale price), if it doesn't work out for me, I'm not out all THAT much. And if it DOES work out, then it's worth it's weight in gold. :)

I'm running a test sim right now. And I actually used a conforming cloth item, and an OLD one, at that, to test it out with.

I imagine "loose" parts, such as buttons, zipper tabs, etc, would not like being converted over to dynamics. If the mesh is not welded, you can end up with pieces everywhere, I would think, just like with Poser dynamics, yes.

But I'm curious to see what it does. This is the button shirt from the old, (VERY old! like 10 years old...) Mike 3 Urban Casuals set from RDNA.

I had to grab it and try it. And of course, I had to do the first test on it with an old item that is a most likely suspect to not be welded mesh/have loose parts/etc. So, I'll see how it runs. ;)

I'm hoping it does work. If it does, OMFG but we finally have a decent way to not only USE, but MAKE dynamics in DS.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I am all over this. I love making dynamic clothes. I will finally be able to make Dawn something other than my standard superhero costumes... I made a nice flowing dress. I'll dig it out and do a render tomorrow.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I know! Won't it be great if it works?!!!! Can't wait to get this tomorrow and give it a whack. And my first try will be the Frills and Spills outfit I got for Luna. If it works as a dynamic I'll be going mental getting Lully's goodies! And I think I've got several Dawn dynamic items in my runtime, freebies from here and there that I converted to conforming.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Okay... so, initial test run results.

Sim Frames : 30
Cloth Item : Button Shirt (Mike3 Urban Casuals, RDNA), already autofitted long ago to Genesis 1.
Sim Time : 35 minutes
DS Version : 4.8 Pro

Results were not bad, not bad at all considering the age of the item (10+ years old, Michael 3 era item that was already autofitted to Genesis 1). I had a couple of floating buttons, which I fully expected. One piece of the shirt did seem to separate from the rest of it, and land on the surface of the couch that I had Genesis lying on, but again, I expected an item of this age to not be perfectly set up for dynamics usage, so no surprises there as well.

The rest of the drape was actually pretty decent. I did end up doing a Sub-D of 2, and then applied a smoothing modifier to the item on frame 30 after the simulation ran. Then I set the buttons material zones down to zero opacity, since he was lying on his belly anyway and wouldn't need to have the buttons in view.

Once those little fiddly things were done, the simulation actually looked pretty good. A few spots that would need some postwork to smooth out or a tiny bit of cloning to connect. Nothing massive. I am currently re-running the sim, as I had accidentally left Blake's hair selected as a collision item, which of course made the cloth form a little mountain over the poor man's ponytail. LOL

Part of the process if starting with a conforming item is to hit the rigging menu and transfer it from a figure to a prop first. The script ONLY works on "prop" type items. Then you make sure the item is selected after turning it into a prop, and THEN you run the dynamic script on it. Once you've run the script, you can then save the dynamic copy of the item back to the library as a dynamic cloth asset. (Which I totally did do for this shirt, since I use it a lot, I might add...LOL) Once you've run the script on the item, you can then set up your cloth sim.

Also, incidentally, the documentation that the vendor included is absolutely awesome. Great, very well written documentation.

I'll run a sim on a more up to date/newer item once this re-do of the sim is finished, and try to post some initial results with that as well. But so far, I'm actually... really, really impressed.

Lorraine

That is so cool, Seliah! Off to bed now but I'm looking forward to seeing what you post :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Wow. Very, very... wow. :snoopydance: :snoopydances:

Okay, so... I re-ran the simulation on that same (very old Mike3) shirt. Adjusted some of the collision settings for the sim.

And... wow. This sucker actually took a 10+ year old Mil3/Poser 5 generation shirt and draped it and collided it beautifully, with the settings mentioned in my last post as far as Sub-D and Mesh Smoothing.

Here's a quick-and-dirty render of the collided, converted-to-dynamic shirt... no postwork.

Cloth Sim Test01.png

Please ignore the floating knee/elbow and the overly shiny boot surface. Like I said, just a quick and dirty test.

The shirt draped and collided with the couch very, very nicely actually. A couple of spots that will need some postwork - the area where the shirt hits the back of his pants. The slightly too large "bulge" in the middle of his back around the center spine area. And a couple of rough spots where the cloth meets the couch could do with a little bit of touch-up.

Item is set to a Sub-D of 2, with a "render" Sub-D of 3, and has Mesh Smoothing applied with 3 Smoothing Iterations, and 3 Collision iterations, and the smoothing's collision item for the shirt is set to Genesis (which is probably why we have a little poke-through of his pants here).

Yeah. Totally, totally impressed so far. I will run this on a newer item that is more likely to be set up for dynamic use, as well as run a sim on an item that already was dynamic cloth (I think I have the Optitex dynamic shawl around here somewhere... that's DS dynamics, and I think I have a very old Aiko 3 Poser dynamic dress, too).

This is NOT bad for a 10 year old item on a cloth sim, honestly. Definitely worth the $7 price tag. :laugh:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes, yes it does!! I can't wait to try it on an item that's already been set up for dynamic usage. :D I will run the other tests in a couple of minutes, but the first run-through I chose an old old old item on PURPOSE, because it would have the most likely chance of failing miserably...

Whoo! :snoopydance::snoopydances::snoopydance:

...yes, I'm thrilled. LOL

Rokket

Dances with Bees
A kid with a new toy! I stayed up for almost 50 hours straight the first time I installed Poser 8. But I am going to bed now!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
A kid with a new toy! I stayed up for almost 50 hours straight the first time I installed Poser 8. But I am going to bed now!

Haha... a kid who had a VERY brief introduction to dynamics in earlier versions of Poser, and who couldn't touch it ever again since then due to computer issues, then aging hardware... and then turning into a DS-only render artist. :p

Night, Rokket. Have a good sleep. LOL I promise to play with my toys nice and quiet in the corner. :roflmao:

Morana

New-Bee
Watching this thread with interest! The cloth room is something I've sorely missed since migrating to Studio. Even if it's enough to just drape a skirt more naturally, I'd be happy!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Watching this thread with interest! The cloth room is something I've sorely missed since migrating to Studio. Even if it's enough to just drape a skirt more naturally, I'd be happy!

I'll run a skirt or long dress sim shortly.

For now, though, a couple of thoughts... I would caution against trying to distribute any dynamic item created via this script, even if it is our own mesh that we modeled, because last I knew neither Daz or Optitex wanted anyone to be able to distribute or use the dynamic functions without basically shelling out their life savings to Optitex's proprietary stuff.

So at least for me, I'm treating this as "for personal use only" and sitting back to wait and watch, and see what happens, if anything, as far as Daz or Optitex responses. Daz has been very forceful in the past about squashing any discussions on their forums regarding how to create dynamics in DS without bankrupting ourselves on Optitex's fees, so I am going to treat this as personal use only until I hear or find out for sure what the legalities might or might not be.

Beyond that, though... I'm just thrilled to be able to use dynamics inside of DS! I have passed up ALL of Lully's clothes, and pretty much anything that was dynamic simply because of the way Optitex has crippled dynamics in DS.

So, yeah... this is, as far as I'm concerned at the moment, very much "for personal use only," but wow am I gonna use it for myself in the meantime!! LOL

Cybrea

thanks Miss B, yes it's Rayne morph, still in my freestuff at rendo.

Another test. I think it's working as good as Poser for me.
Darcy Dress. Materials from Iray Shader Factory.
HDRI lighting was a holiday daz freebie FWSA soft light probes.

darcydress.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You're welcome Cy. I just couldn't remember where you actually uploaded it to. I should've thought of R'osity, but didn't, so thanks for chiming in.

BTW, the Darcy Dress draping looks good. I don't have the latest version of DS (stopped upgrading with DS 4.0), but that looks just about as nice a drape as I've been getting with long dresses in P9 and PP11.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Just being able to use things like the old RDNA Heart Poncho, which has some lovely textures -- or some of *Arki'* marvelous outfits which I never could because they are Poser dynamic.

Oh, my. There are any number of *wing* sets that are Poser dynamic...

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
While this works great and is probably best for personal use, keep watching the thread on the VWD product.
Interested in a New Cloth Sim Plug in For DAZ studio and Carrara? - Page 4

I'm tickled pink and very, very happy even to just be able to have something like this for my own use. ;)

I've been watching that thread already, though. If they make it compatible with 4.8, it will be in my cart and through the checkout as soon as I see it's gone live! If it requires 4.9, then as much as I would dearly love, LOVE to have it... I would have to pass and just stick to my own personal-use little golden script here.

SimonJM

Enthusiast
I weakened and bought it, but ... I cannot for the life of me find the 'convert figure to prop' option, help!!!!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I weakened and bought it, but ... I cannot for the life of me find the 'convert figure to prop' option, help!!!!

1. Load your figure. Leave everything zero'd for now.

2. Load your clothing item (or whatever you want to be dynamic on the figure).

3. Go to your Timeline in Studio. In "current frame" enter the number "30" so that you are now working on the 30th frame.

4. Do all your posing, morphing, etc on Frame 30.

5. Now, go to Frame "0" (yes, Zero) in the timeline.

6. Select the item you want to be dynamic in the Scene tab.

7. Click on Edit --> Figure --> Rigging --> Convert Figure to Prop

8. Now go in to the Scene tab, make sure you have the item selected again.

9. Go to your Scripts library, and with the item you want to have dynamic selected, load the Dynamic script.

10. The script will make a copy of your original conformer (which you converted to a prop). The dynamic copy will end with the letters "dyn" in the name for the scene tab. So, "propShirt", once you apply the dynamic script to it, becomes "propShirt_dyn." Either delete the original (NON-dynamic) prop item, or turn off it's visibility in the Scene tab now.

11. Select the copied (DYNAMIC) item in the Scene tab now.

12. Now you go to your Dynamic Clothing tab. Set up your simulation, then make sure in your Timeline that you are on Current Frame 0, and then set the simulation running. Adjust your collision items as needed until you have what you like for results on Frame 30.

You may need to run the sim a few times until you have what you want. If you need to re-run the sim, just make sure you start the sim from Current Frame 0 each time.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

Lorraine

Just went to buy this and I can't find my debit card! The boat has eaten it! Aaargh!