• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Which software should I use ?

RobhG

Inspired
I am in doubt which software for animation I should use, I have used:
Cinema 4d R11, 13,14 and 17 (C4D, is quite powerful and say that version 13 and 14 were the best to date)
Poser 7,11 (P7 or PP7, say the best version has been to 7 until today, speak a lot that is amateur)
Daz Studio (DS Pro, say to be too amateur)
Maya (many bugs and too confusing)
3DS Max (same as Maya)
MikuMikuDance (MMD, has MME that of the effects its animation and renders as a mental ray of Maya, was used by Microsoft and currently in a 3 animes in Japan)
MikuMikuMoving (MMM is even though the MMD up, however with various improvements and implementation of physics with Softbodies)
SourceFilmmaker (SFM hardware used by valve and created by itself, to make your movies and commercials, is a powerful and professional, lightweight and free tool!)
Blender (usually always used for modeling, opening files from other games to make MODS or for character bones, is very powerful)

Which one should I use? Any ideas? I'm in doubt between Poser 7, MMM, SFM or blender.

Dylan

Eager
I'm just wondering that as you have already used all of those, you surely must have formed your own opinion?

RobhG

Inspired
I'm just wondering that as you have already used all of those, you surely must have formed your own opinion?
Honestly, I'm thinking of using Cinema 4d for Rederizar and animate in the endorphin, since endorphin (natural motion) of the support to simulate movements and still do them manually (key frame) IE is a complete program to animate.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Just want to welcome you to HiveWire :)

eclark1894

Visionary
I am in doubt which software for animation I should use, I have used:
Cinema 4d R11, 13,14 and 17 (C4D, is quite powerful and say that version 13 and 14 were the best to date)
Poser 7,11 (P7 or PP7, say the best version has been to 7 until today, speak a lot that is amateur)
Daz Studio (DS Pro, say to be too amateur)
Maya (many bugs and too confusing)
3DS Max (same as Maya)
MikuMikuDance (MMD, has MME that of the effects its animation and renders as a mental ray of Maya, was used by Microsoft and currently in a 3 animes in Japan)
MikuMikuMoving (MMM is even though the MMD up, however with various improvements and implementation of physics with Softbodies)
SourceFilmmaker (SFM hardware used by valve and created by itself, to make your movies and commercials, is a powerful and professional, lightweight and free tool!)
Blender (usually always used for modeling, opening files from other games to make MODS or for character bones, is very powerful)

Which one should I use? Any ideas? I'm in doubt between Poser 7, MMM, SFM or blender.
Interesting. Not considering IClone?

Ghostman

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Go with C4d. Poser atleast is not even close to what C4d can do in animation.

RobhG

Inspired
Go with C4d. Poser atleast is not even close to what C4d can do in animation.
I will combine with endorphin, since endorphin can use key frame pupils 4 and frame, with hologram simulation or even 2 things together and using cinema 4d.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
As with any tool, it really depends on what you are building, how much work you want to put in to it and what to want the end result to be. If you want film quality, hyper real results-- Max, Maya, Modo or Cinema4D will get to there. Maya and Max as you mentioned have a high learning curve and can be unforgiving. Modo and Cinema4D are easiest IMO to use, but require a skill set to achieve professional results.

If you're working with content found here or with HW's competitors, using Poser or DS is the easiest route and with a strong skill level and can accomplish near-film quality CG. Poser, in my opinion is a much stronger animation program than DAZ Studio and current Pro versions of it, you can network render the animation which really speeds up the work. The Rooster Teeth's RWBY series was animated and rendered in Poser.

RobhG

Inspired
As with any tool, it really depends on what you are building, how much work you want to put in to it and what to want the end result to be. If you want film quality, hyper real results-- Max, Maya, Modo or Cinema4D will get to there. Maya and Max as you mentioned have a high learning curve and can be unforgiving. Modo and Cinema4D are easiest IMO to use, but require a skill set to achieve professional results.

If you're working with content found here or with HW's competitors, using Poser or DS is the easiest route and with a strong skill level and can accomplish near-film quality CG. Poser, in my opinion is a much stronger animation program than DAZ Studio and current Pro versions of it, you can network render the animation which really speeds up the work. The Rooster Teeth's RWBY series was animated and rendered in Poser.
I am undecided between Poser Pro or C4D, say that the best version of Poser went to 7 and the C4D was R14, maybe I join poser with Endorphin, since Endorphin I can do what the poser (animation by keyframe and interpolation with or without simulation , which is perfect.

eclark1894

Visionary
I have to tell you, I just recently re-discovered Poser's animation system, and I am having Soooo much fun with it. It would be nice if some of it was a little more automated or at least easier to set up, but I like being able to figure out how to do stuff, so maybe that's just me.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I am undecided between Poser Pro or C4D, say that the best version of Poser went to 7 and the C4D was R14, maybe I join poser with Endorphin, since Endorphin I can do what the poser (animation by keyframe and interpolation with or without simulation , which is perfect.

Have you tried Poser 11? It has a new rendering engine (Superfly) that builds upon the Firefly renderer. While you can still use Firefly, Superfly adds in options for physical rendering and takes use of Blender's Cycles render engine. Poser 11 also corrects many long issues with the SubD option that Poser 9 introduced and refines the ease of use of weight-mapping (also introduced in Poser 9). It also improved the Bullet Physics that was introduced in Poser 10. Since you animate, I think you'll love this feature.

eclark1894

Visionary
Have you tried Poser 11? It has a new rendering engine (Superfly) that builds upon the Firefly renderer. While you can still use Firefly, Superfly adds in options for physical rendering and takes use of Blender's Cycles render engine. Poser 11 also corrects many long issues with the SubD option that Poser 9 introduced and refines the ease of use of weight-mapping (also introduced in Poser 9). It also improved the Bullet Physics that was introduced in Poser 10. Since you animate, I think you'll love this feature.
Something I just found out myself, and something that I've never heard anyone else say is that Poser can actually do realtime live simulations with Bullet physics. and that includes using it with dynamic clothing AND animation.