• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Which Poser version is best at this point in time?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The Python version hasn't changed in PP11, so all your scripts from P9 and P10 should work fine. Some plugins have been updated for P11 new features, and they are mostly hosted at RDNA, so you can still get the updates but in many cases, no longer the products themselves. I have been using ShaderWork's Advanced Material Manager 2 with P11, and it works fine. It can create multiple root nodes and edit existing ones.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
The Python version hasn't changed in PP11, so all your scripts from P9 and P10 should work fine. Some plugins have been updated for P11 new features, and they are mostly hosted at RDNA, so you can still get the updates but in many cases, no longer the products themselves. I have been using ShaderWork's Advanced Material Manager 2 with P11, and it works fine. It can create multiple root nodes and edit existing ones.
Until you have Cycles or Physical Surface Root in material. Try Pad2016 for example.
AAM.png

HadCancer

Motivated
Well Ken already added some great tips about Superfly render settings. I understand what you mean about not being able to use the computer for other things when using the GPU rendering. But I think this is more a video card thing. My understanding is that unlike a CPU, a GPU can't say, oh, here's another thing I need to do, let me take a few resources and do that. So basically when you are doing a GPU render, it can't just easily draw other windows on other screens.

That being said, I don't often find that my renders take very long. I've learned through lots of trial and error where to tweak my settings and sometimes it might take half an hour, but rarely more than that, unless I've got a huge number of things in my scene. That is one other things about Superfly. It figures tries to determine if everything in the scene is effecting the render, not just what is obviously in the camera view. Actually my avatar took a long time to render, because even thought you can't tell, the thing behind her head is part of a dragon. It was originally meant to be a massive scene, and when I decided to do a close up, it still wanted to consider everything else in the scene.
You are probably right in that I render big, so it is likely why it took so long. My computer is just 2 months old and I thought the Titan X would zip right through the renders but no it did not. Should have gone for the Titan Z or Quntro cards but they would have added another 2-3 grand to a computer than was already around 3 grand.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Because of the bug on Superfly's "branched path tracing", which makes it conflict with NVIDIA drivers and crash Windows altogether, I cannot use my video card to render with it. I can use GPU rendering with iRay and Octane, but not with Superfly. That's a bummer because branched path tracing speeds Superfly GPU rendering by 10X, but I have to keep it disabled.

eclark1894

Visionary
Congrats Traci! That's a really good price. Unfortunately, I think it's only for those who already own a Pro version, as I looked at the Sidegrade from a non-Pro version price, and it's $175, which is still a bit steep for some folks.
Actually, that's something I noticed back when 11 first came out. I looked at how much it would cost to sidegrade if I bought P11 first, then moved over to Pro. Come to find out it cost more to sidegrade from P11 than from Pro 9.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
That really sucks Ken. I hope they release an update to fix that. Did you submit a bug report from your end?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That really sucks Ken. I hope they release an update to fix that. Did you submit a bug report from your end?

The crash with BTP is included in the list of known issues, so SMS knows about it. They say it's complicated because something is causing the NVIDIA driver to crash, and they don't know what that is. It has been 6 months and they still don't know what's causing it.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Man that sucks. I've not had that happen yet but I only use Poser for getting stuff made so perhaps on a more intensive scene I may get a crash.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
You will not see the crash unless you render with Superfly with BTP enabled in GPU mode. In my case it brings Windows 10 down with a BSOD, and reboots. When I am back in Poser, my project file is corrupted and cannot be opened anymore.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Oh GOD. That's horrible. I'll try to remember now to enable that! Why would they even include that in Poser 11 if that's such a known nasty bug that can bring an entire OS to it's knees? :mad:

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I still want ToyBox. I'm going to spank Joe when he finally gets here! lol Grrrrrrr

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
You will not see the crash unless you render with Superfly with BTP enabled in GPU mode. In my case it brings Windows 10 down with a BSOD, and reboots. When I am back in Poser, my project file is corrupted and cannot be opened anymore.
Don't remember if I already wrote about this:
on Win7 and 2 cards setup — Poser (not OS) can crash, but only if display card is used. Renders OK if free card used, even with BPT/progressive combination. Same with Blender Cycles. Still on Win7 due to W10/CUDA memory issues.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@phdubrov Thanks for the info. What crashes is not Poser, but the NVidia driver in Windows (it doesn't seem to matter what version). Since the video adapter driver may not recover, it can take Windows down with it (BSOD). It's important to note that I use the same NVidia driver with CUDA rendering in Octane and IRay, and none will cause any crashes - this only happens with Superfly, and only when BPT is enabled in GPU rendering mode.

I have tried 2 video cards years ago with Win7, and there were limitations on what we could do with it. I don't know if things have changed with Win10 on this. The idea was to use the lesser video card to handle Windows, and the more beefy one for rendering. One of the issues was that if one video card had less memory, that would limit how much VRAM could be used in GPU rendering - it would cap by the smallest VRAM. Some games would refuse to recognize more than 1 video card as well, forcing me to play with the weaker card, or again limit the VRAM memory to the smallest one. The only way to get over those limitations was to have 2 video cards with exactly the same specs.

I wonder if things got better now?

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I wonder if things got better now?
As far as I understend, things got worse, i.e. on Win10 CUDA aviable memory for all cards limited not only by smallest memory, but by smallest memory minus largest OS buffer (what we see as "unaviable" in Octane memory chart) for all cards no matter is card used as display card or not. (Buffer is %% of VRAM, not fixed amount.)
For Win7 same as before, but aviable memory on non-display card not affected by OS.