• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Where do you get your Render ideas?

eclark1894

Visionary
Not a trick question or anything. Just an informal survey on how you, personally, come up with ideas to create a render?

Personally, My ideas can pop into my head at anytime, from anywhere.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Good question. I can't do a render unless there's something of a story I want to tell. I can't do cute Vickie renders with no meaning. So I guess I start with a story I want to tell that pop into my head and do the render from that.

Hornet3d

Wise
Good question. I can't do a render unless there's something of a story I want to tell. I can't do cute Vickie renders with no meaning. So I guess I start with a story I want to tell that pop into my head and do the render from that.

I think I am the same in that regard is that I have to have a story behind the render so that I know what expression or pose I am looking for and what I want to say. That said I have a basic story running in my head and I can get ideas at random moments, it could be something I read in a book or a scene from a movie, even and expression glimpsed in coffee shop can suddenly coujour up and story in my mind. It is rare for me to have a image and have to write a story to match, normally it is the story idea that comes to mind and the image flows from that.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Mine usually start out by me wanting to create something. Once I get it done I will test it out. The renders usually have some sort of story behind them, but if I am creating a costume, usually it's just a pose.

The full on story telling renders usually start out as something else, then morph into scene. Usually because I don't really like a blank png with an alpha behind the model and nothing else.

3dcheapskate

Engaged
Often I just open Poser, load up a figure, apply a pose, an item of clothing, some hair, and perhaps a prop too - all selected more or less at random. Then spin the camera around to view the figure from different angles. This'll usually kick-start my muse, who's likely to run off cackling maniacally in a totally unexpected direction. If it remains silent I'll change the pose, clothing and/or props, and spin the camera again. Repeat a few times. If there's still no muse-ical sound after this I go and find something else to do.

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I first think of a character I can make with my existing resources, or something I could model for a new character, and then build a scene around it. I usually already know what kind of character I want to make beforehand, but how it will come out changes constantly over the process. I tend to spend a lot of time refining materials and lighting. I usually choose a pose and camera framing right at the beginning, and save it in a memory dot (Poser). It's easier to handle poses and morphs before dressing the character, since I already know what clothing will be used. Hair is usually the last thing I load into the scene, and more often than not, I don't have exactly the style and shape I need, so I get something close to it.

Most of my best renders came from first visualizing a pose, lighting, and camera framing that clicks in. Everything else can be improvised.

James R.

Busy Bee
My personal render ideas just pop into my head. Sometimes I can see a full scene laid out in my mind’s eye, but that’s rare.

Most often I have some small kernel of an idea or theme that piques my interest: “winter scene” ... “neighbourhood”... “robot”... some incomplete image in my head, or a feeling that compels me. And then I follow my instincts and impulses as I create the scene, going down whichever rabbit hole my muse wants to take me.

Things often turn out quite differently than I’d intended at the start, but I really enjoy that process. It’s a mix of creativity (“What if I...”) and problem solving (“How do I...”).

That mix makes both sides of my overactive brain very happy.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
As with my traditional art in the past, my renders have many triggers. A thought or combination of ideas coming together, a remark by someone (quite often one of my grandaughters), occasionally a memory or even a simple feeling. I've always been blessed with the ability to just sit back, relax and let my thoughts wander, giving them free reign to go off in any direction they want to and let ideas flow without restraint!

Dylan

Eager
I usually have an idea first, like a character or historical moment I want to create and render. But other things might also influence me.

Nod

Adventurous
Not a trick question or anything. Just an informal survey on how you, personally, come up with ideas to create a render?

Personally, My ideas can pop into my head at anytime, from anywhere.

Mine just come from my warped imagination. Unfortunately, most of them stay there due to procrastination.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
A lot of the time its just me wanting to test out a new character/prop/background etc :p

Sometimes, like with the book cover I did for Faery_Light, she described what she was going to do but my muse wouldn't let me be until I got it out (thank god FL like it :p)

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
Traditional art such as the acrylic painting I started is a cat near a poinsettia on a snowy day.
My renders are either random or story based.

McGyver

Energetic
I usually don't show off renders, but most of them are either to illustrate something I'm making for someone (boring stuff), so they can kinda get an idea what the real thing will look like... Or if its a strictly 3D model, in which case 98.5% of the time, it's for me... In which case it's either to help visualize something I'm writing about or it's a promo for a freebie (which I just realized I haven't posted any in a long time).
Except for the freebies everything else is just plain old, not striving to be art images...
The promos are where I have fun...
They aren't art either (nothing I do is), but they are inspired by stuff...
I kinda hate most advertising... It's not that I hate advertising per se... I hate really obnoxious, disingenuous advertising... Like stuff with mouseprint disclaimers, stuff that uses made up words or verbal slight of hand to disguise what it really is or made of, stuff with flat out made up claims etc... And I like poking fun at the general dumbness and dishonesty you see in most ads when I make a promo.
So most of my promos are based on some sort of advertising I found to be annoying or stupid... Or just caught my eye.

Carey

Extraordinary
I love to write, no I don't set out to write anything.I just write..Thing is after some warming up, you know stretching my writing voice a bit, it will turn into a story if I am really lucky I will be able to stop after a few thousand words. I lose track of time. Time does not exist when writing. I used to sort of try to hide what I am, but I am 63 years of age no one cares what I do anymore as long as I stay out of the way. My render work is done much the same way, course there I also look for inspiration...If you wonder why I make a real effort to really look at every ones work I am looking for inspiration, I'll see a little something in some one else's work, a little touch of their genius and I set out to make it mine. Now like with writing I lose track of time and most times my render turns into a story. I also never forget to have fun, course my sense of fun is warped, I like making people do things, things like crack a bit of a smile, have a half way profound thought, play with a person's heart strings a little bit or make them join me for a while in the make believe world of a child. I also spent time on you tube, I watch pets doing stupid things, I watch people doing stupid things, I listen to people that are into deep thinking and people who don't really know what the words "Deep" or "Thinking" might mean....lol

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You know, I've never seen a render by McGyver before and this is the first time I noticed his sig banner. I must say, I'm a little bit frightened by what I might find if I follow it!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
No Rae. I have a lot of his models which he showed off on the DAZ forums through the years. He has some really nice items available.