• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What needs to be in a figure's clothing Wardrobe?

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times before... so one more time won't kill you. So you're about to launch a new figure into the wild. What are the essential clothing items he needs to have? (We're assuming a male, but you can go with what you want). We're also going to take this one step further. What MUST be included in a bundle and what should or can be sold individually?
BTW, if this isn't where it should be or where you want it, please feel free to move it or delete it.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Good question. I'd like to see what people think for both male and female figures.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
In general, vendors tend to include basic clothing like underwear, a bikini and a few basic casual clothing, like shorts and a t-shirt. If the question would be about the minimum, this would be it, I guess.

eclark1894

Visionary
In general, vendors tend to include basic clothing like underwear, a bikini and a few basic casual clothing, like shorts and a t-shirt. If the question would be about the minimum, this would be it, I guess.
TBH, I remember that V4 came with the purple undies as a texture. People complained, but, again, tbh, I wasn't that upset. The texture could always be swapped out, and unless she wee wearing some really revealing outer clothing, you never knew she had the purple undies on. I m opinion only, if ever there were a need for second skin clothing, underwear and stockings would definitely fill the bill. Come to think of it, Dawn could probably benefit from an underwear texture set like that.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Speaking on the dude side:) I like what Dusk has currently but what I feel is missing is a good button down shirt/a good business suit. (The suit elements could be used in many different ways by texture add-ons).

eclark1894

Visionary
Something like this, Laurie?

1575666331024.png

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh I have seriously considered making a shirt with buttons for Dusk, but then I remembered what happens to shirt buttons when the figure is posed and/or morphed in Poser, and quickly gave up the idea. I will avoid buttons until Poser supports "rigidity groups" or something to that effect. The Morphing Tool can be used to recover the un-mangled button shape, but it also moves it back to the original position, usually inside the body depending on the morph, which makes it impossible to reach with anything. ZBrush also has limitations where we cannot reach anything inside a model. One alternative would be to paint the buttons on the shirt as part of the texture, like it was with "The Adventurer" outfit for Dusk. That would make it more manageable.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Couldn't you just morph the shirt open or closed?

Sure, but I was just referring to modeling 3D buttons for shirts in Poser, and what happens to them with poses and morphs. I did that for my "Western Outfit" for Dusk, and the "Office Lady" for Dawn. It's such a pain to fix the button shapes for every morph and pose that it sucks the fun out of it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
You mean, customers having to manually place the buttons on the shirt one-by-one?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
TBH, I remember that V4 came with the purple undies as a texture. People complained, but, again, tbh, I wasn't that upset. The texture could always be swapped out . . . .
Yes, I hated that texture as well, but I assumed it was for those who preferred to keep her "family friendly" in case they had young children hanging around.

V4 did come with a regular texture as well, which, aside from not having that ugly bathing suit, had an overall better basic texture, though I rarely used it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I couldn't help noticing the notorious purple undies texture, but conversely, V4 had so MANY textures that I didn't mind it much. ;p

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I think OOT's Mega Wardrobe sets are perfect starter sets though I would like to see a skirt that is WAY less micro mini. Not necessarily long, but one that the butt doesn't hang out of either.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think OOT's Mega Wardrobe sets are perfect starter sets though I would like to see a skirt that is WAY less micro mini. Not necessarily long, but one that the butt doesn't hang out of either.
That, and the addon texture set for it, were the first clothing items I bought for Dawn, and yes, I'd like that mini skirt a bit longer. ;)

eclark1894

Visionary
That, and the addon texture set for it, were the first clothing items I bought for Dawn, and yes, I'd like that mini skirt a bit longer. ;)
I think that's kind of funny that two women would want a mini skirt to be longer. Personally, I can't undersand why anyone would want their butt hanging out of anything. That includes the ass-less chaps that Prince used to wear. :sneaky:

Remember those?
1575705371722.png

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Why? Most women I know don't dress like hookers and wouldn't allow their daughters to dress like that either.