• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What is it for?

Hi All,
I joined Hivewire because I saw all the pretty things and I want them. I just don't know what to do with them if I buy them. I have absolutely zero coding knowledge. Originally I thought that maybe I could use the Conan Exiles Dev Kit to add them to Conan, but that was a bust. I still want them though, but what can I do with them?

Stezza

Dances with Bees
you need to learn how to use 3d software

some YouTube links for you to watch

Carrara Costs$'s -

Daz Studio Free -

Poser Costs$'s -

that's a start for you to getting to understand it. :flower02:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The dev kit you mentioned is a modified version of the Unreal Engine editor. It can't be used to play the game, it's a free resource to help modders.
I'm not sure who on this forum uses Unreal, maybe make another post with that in the heading so people who uses it might be able to find it and help you.

The HiveWire3D stuff has been made to be used in Daz Studio (free software) and Poser (paid software) for static art or animation rendering (if you know what you are doing they can be made to be used in other software, for example Stezza above uses them in Carrara and someone else uses them in iClone etc) a quick look at those video's he posted might give you an idea.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. :)

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
No coding required to use Daz Studio or Poser. They are fairly intuitive and a lot of fun! Maybe someone can post a link to a gallery or two here.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Some gamers use content sold at HiveWire 3D to create fan art by using a 3D computer graphics program, such as the above mentioned Poser, DAZ Studio, and Carrera (or other 3D computer graphics/rendering programs).

Content sold at HiveWire 3D can be used to create images/pictures/art for personal use, to sell, or to create promotional images to market products.

An example of a image created for personal use/fun
This is the render straight out of Poser with no editing or adjustments.
Larkspur Pups x 1000.jpg

For this, I used the HiveWire Big Dog, HiveWire Puppy, HiveWire House Cat, Lisa's Botanicals Starweed (the plant in the pot the HiveWire Cat is hiding in), Lisa's Botanicals Mighty Oak (Oak leaf branch clusters and ground clutter), and props from my Larkspur Cottage.

You can also take a rendered image into Photoshop or a similar photo editing program for editing, adding layers and filters, which is called postwork. After postwork, my Playtime render resulted in this:
Playtime X 1000.jpg

A larger version of the final version of Playtime can be seen in my HiveWire Gallery. My HiveWire gallery has a few of the other images I've created using Poser, Photoshop, and content purchased mostly from HiveWire 3D. Some content was purchased elsewhere or created by me.

As you look through the HiveWire 3D store, the pictures you see are all examples of promotional images.

Note: I forgot to mention you can also create animations using HiveWire 3D content. If you want more information about animations, someone else will need to jump in to explain that as I don't really have any experience with animation.

Last edited:
If I understand this correctly, this is art for art's sake? They're fun to play with, but only if you know how to use the proper software? Is that a proper summary?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Art for art's sake, for self expression, something to do, something to learn, something to strive for, as a hobby - for fun- lots of fun! Software is easy to learn. They made it user friendly and there's lots of online help if you have a question. Give it a go!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Basically yes.

Though some people do animations with it (the animation series RWBY's first 3 seasons was created in Poser before it moved to Maya), others use it to make and sell Book Covers etc so you can make money from your art.

Games are a different story, if it uses the 3D mesh then you will need a Game developer license, DAZ has that for some models but you pay WAY more (like $100's more sometimes for the same model) but if your games doesn't actually use the 3D mesh then that is usually fine (always read the read-me documents that come with each model as they are all different).

Hornet3d

Wise
Hi All,
I joined Hivewire because I saw all the pretty things and I want them. I just don't know what to do with them if I buy them. I have absolutely zero coding knowledge. Originally I thought that maybe I could use the Conan Exiles Dev Kit to add them to Conan, but that was a bust. I still want them though, but what can I do with them?
If I understand this correctly, this is art for art's sake? They're fun to play with, but only if you know how to use the proper software? Is that a proper summary?

Your question intrigues me, you say 'I saw pretty things and I want them' and I guess that leaves me with the question, to do what?

Your summary seems a little basic but then I am looking at this from the viewpoint of a hobbyist who has played with either Daz Studio or Poser for over twenty years. In that time I have used it to help create Christmas cards and calendars for the family and friends, illustrations for training modules I used to create when I was working and creating decoration for display around the home. Having retired now I use it to illustrate story lines a book I have been imagining for a number of years now.

I started using the software because I had a vivid imagination but my art skills in any other format is non existent so it was a way of getting pictures in my head on to a screen or paper so others could see. These days it also keeps my aging brain from shutting down by presenting challenges and also giving me the drive to try and get a little bit better with every render. I spent the first few years feeling I was drowning and only managing to stay afloat by using the advice that was freely given by artist such as those here at HiveWire3D.

To give you an idea of what I use the program for here are two portrait renders, which I love doing, the one on the left created around 10 years ago and the one on the right within the last year.

Ten Years On.jpg

The same principle but this time with a Sci-Fi scene

Ten Years On scenes.jpg

A great deal of the improvement, assuming you feel there is an improvement, is down to the improvements in software and the quality of the products as seen here at HiveWire3D but I do know my way around Poser a lot better these days. That is not to say it is not challenging, it is probably a lot more challenging now than it was when I started but that is part of the fun. I a lot of cases I can find the answers and on those occasions I can't, well there is always the HiveWire3D forums.

I guess my summary is it is art for whatever sake you want it to be but for the most part it is just tremendous fun.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
You could also use it to make animations or videos. This clip is very old (made on a Windows 98 machine - so just imagine what could be done now).