• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What are good tutorials

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
What are good tutorials for Bryce? I have figured out how to do scenery in Bryce but no life in it aka trees or animals or people or plants?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
. . . and I would add, ANYTHING by David Brinnen and Horo. They have tutorials on the first link above and store pages on Daz3D
YES, I was just going to post you should hang out in the Bryce Discussion forum at DAZ, as that's where David Brinnen and Horo post a lot of their Bryce work, which is amazing. It's the only DAZ forum I still hang out in on occasion, as I started in 3D with Bryce, and still like using it.

Riccardo

Adventurous
Wasn't this about Bryce?
Anyway, I do not have much feeling with Vue. I only have a version of Vue 8 Frontier found on an old 3D World Magazine: never used it as, without buying some plugin, it refused to import anything, even stuff in Vue format.
Bryce can import various file formats, and also has a direct link/bridge with Daz Studio.
Since you are talking about running on a old computer, I am also under the impression that system requirements for Vue are higher than those for Bryce. But as I said before, I do not know much about Vue.

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
Guess I will try Bryce tomorrow or something but not tonight as computer will not be turned on tonight if I will get any sleep. Currently on a device like an iPhone. Oh wait it is an iPhone but not with an active plan.

esha

Admirable
Contributing Artist
Bryce was my first contact with 3D :inlove:

It's a cool program, however by now it's rather outdated. For example it insists on installing itself and its libraries into the user folder on C:\ - that's fine for Windows XP but with all newer systems you'll run into problems when you try to manage your user assets. And if you have an SSD for your main drive it will fill that up rather quickly because Bryce files can be rather huge. :eek:

But ok, you said it's an old computer so it might not have an SSD. Just be aware that on anything newer than XP you'll find your user-generated presets in some obscure user folder and not where you saved them. ;)

Hornet3d

Wise
Well getting back into 3D on my old computer. Should I install Vue or Bryce?

Really depends on what versions you have for Vue. As others as said, good as it is, Bryce is a bit long in the tooth thanks to the fact it has remained unloved (by it's owners at least) for so long. I used Vue for couple of versions up to Version 8 which was a pain, very slow and crashed at a moments notice on regular basis. Many of the features were useless on a average home PC. I gave up on Vue at that point until I was recommended by someone in a forum to try Vue 2014. Totally different experience, renders well, is stable and fun to use. Big selling point to me is that fact you can import your poser figures but have Vue use poser for the materials inside Vue.

stream forest bridge HW.jpg

This was only a test render but it gives some idea.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Bryce 4 was my first step into 3D, and I'm also upset that DAZ has abandoned it.

I never got into Vue, but I can remember someone once mentioning years ago that it was Bryce on steroids. ;)

Hornet3d

Wise
Bryce 4 was my first step into 3D, and I'm also upset that DAZ has abandoned it.

I never got into Vue, but I can remember someone once mentioning years ago that it was Bryce on steroids. ;)

I used Bryce very early on, I am not really sure which came first Bryce or DS, I think it may have been DS but if it was Bryce was not far behind. I loved the program and upgraded whenever there was a new version. I still had it installed up until three years ago but hadn't used it for some time. Like you I hate to see it abandoned, the least they could do is try and sell it to someone who would bring some life to it, after all it is more competition with Vue and other landscape generation tools than a figure program.

I like your description of the Vue - Bryce comparison, it is very true but part of that has to be due to the fact that Vue has continued to grow while Bryce has stagnated and that is such a shame.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I am not really sure which came first Bryce or DS, I think it may have been DS but if it was Bryce was not far behind.
Are you referring to which 3D app you started using first, because Bryce as 3D software was well established before DS came into existence. I had already upgraded from Bryce 4 to Bryce 5 quite a while before DAZ obtained Bryce and offered Bryce 5.5, then Bryce 6, and eventually the current Bryce 7.1.

I know I tried the old 0.9x version of DS when DAZ introduced it years ago, but I didn't really like it until it reached version 2.

Hornet3d

Wise
Are you referring to which 3D app you started using first, because Bryce as 3D software was well established before DS came into existence. I had already upgraded from Bryce 4 to Bryce 5 quite a while before DAZ obtained Bryce and offered Bryce 5.5, then Bryce 6, and eventually the current Bryce 7.1.

I know I tried the old 0.9x version of DS when DAZ introduced it years ago, but I didn't really like it until it reached version 2.

Yes I was referring to the app I started with. I think Bryce 4 was my first version but that is so many years ago.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I know I was hanging out in the Bryce forum at Renderosity for 4 1/2 years before I joined DAZ and RDNA so yes, definitely a long time ago. :)

eclark1894

Visionary

I started with Bryce 2. Bought it right after I bought Poser 2. I found I could make things in Bryce that Poser didn't have. So I modeled a City Beneath the sea and a submarine. even made a little animation for it with Bryce. All by trial and error. See, I had written a book called City Beneath the Sea. This was Book one of a series. Yes, I wrote bok one and three but sales were almost non existent with Book one, so I never released the rest.

content.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
I was more a landscape artist back then, so wasn't into Poser until a friend let me know I could do landscape scenes with Poser and products like DAZ's Millennium Environment. I didn't start with Poser until version 5, but left for a number of years and didn't get back to Poser until version 9. I still like landscapes, but seem to use Terragen more than Bryce these days, though I have created terrains in Terragen which I've been able to export for use in Bryce a couple of times. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it works well. :)