• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Weight mapping crashes DS 4.9.3.166

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Weight mapping crashes DS 4.9.3.166

I created an original figure, using the figure setup tool in DS. I had all my bones parented, placed and aligned exactly where I wanted them. I went to the weight mapping tool and chose "Weight Editing", "Fill by Bone Selection Groups(s)". Every vertex group was filled to 100% for x,y,z rotations and scale weights. All was good. I saved as a figure asset. Everything worked.

I then realized I needed to change a small part of the geometry. In my modeling program I made the changes, adding some vertices. I exported as an obj file, imported to DS, and used the transfer utility to transfer the rigging and the weight maps. But for some reason the weight maps did not transfer. So I went again to "Weight Editing", "Fill by Bone Selection Groups(s)." The program crashed. I tried again, saving the duf file before doing any weight mapping, but when trying the weight mapping, crashed again. I tried adding weight maps to individual parts, the program crashed. It seems no matter what I do, weight mapping now causes a crash. Any idea why a bit of extra geometry would cause such a big problem?

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Weight mapping started working again. I went into Blender and made sure all my face groups and material groups were ok, then exported it to obj again. Then on import to DS, used transfer utility again to get the skeleton, and weight mapping finally worked as expected. I don't know what the problem was exactly, but I got it to work.