• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

We have honeybees!

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
So after hurricane Irene took out all of our hives and drowned all of our bees we had a bunch of soggy and slimy bee hives that needed power washing. My hubby brought them back here to the house and one by one began the long and arduous task of cleaning them up. The last of them still sits here in the driveway for the past couple of years.

We haven't kept bees for a couple of years but today, hubby discovered that we have some volunteer honey bees who have moved in to that empty hive! He witnessed a line of ants carrying honeybee eggs on their way out of the hive and a constant stream of activity of bees not only chasing those ants but carrying pollen into the hive. He said they appear to be Italian bees which is a relief because we've had some reports of the Africanized (killer) bees being found in our area.

So he's dug out his bee suit and will open the hive and see what's happening over the next few days. So far they are peaceful bees just going about their business gathering goodies to bring home. We will probably move them out to a farm instead of having them here in this close neighborhood. I'm just thrilled that they found a new home when they swarmed and went looking for one!

Terre

Renowned
That is cool. I suppose you would have to lock the hive up tight after dark so you can transport it with all of the bees in there instead of having some workers outside?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Good point Terre. You wouldn't want any them left behind, not knowing where their home went.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
glad they're not the dangerous ones :) it must meant to bee (sorry, bad pun :p)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think that's an awesome invention Szark. I'd be too scared to have bees the old fashioned way, this I think would help :D

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
That is cool. I suppose you would have to lock the hive up tight after dark so you can transport it with all of the bees in there instead of having some workers outside?

They all go home before dark and then we have screens to insert into the hive opening so they can't leave until we want them to.

Lisa have you seen this by any chance

Yes, that is really cool! I've seen a couple of designs like this. Creative people!

Szark

Awesome
depends where you dock. We have narrow boats here that some have hives on. The more important thing is food and accessibility.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Sans Souci lives on a mooring without much shelter for a bee. It would be great to hide a hive in the bush nearby...both bees and I would be happy. My son is going to start beekeeping in his orchard so I'll be able to flog his honey ;)

Lorraine

That's what he thinks too! I'm going to head over there this weekend to get a big bag of Granny Smiths straight off the trees. Nom, nom :)

Szark

Awesome
That is another thing I miss, the fruit. I am not sure if you know north Auckland at all but before I left Albany was my fav place to visit as that was where they grew a lot of fruit. I planted a Braeburn apple Braeburn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in the garden a few years ago. Got a good crop last year and this years should be better...a taste of home. :)

Lorraine

The Bay of Islands is home so I know Albany very well, there is a bypass now so the main highway no longer goes through the main street. My son grows apples, persimmons, peaches, apricots, feijoas, mandarin, oranges, pepino, bananas, macadamias, plums, nashi pears, plus has a big vege garden. The garden and orchard are the only things I miss living on the boat.

Szark

Awesome
The Bay of Islands is home so I know Albany very well, there is a bypass now so the main highway no longer goes through the main street. My son grows apples, persimmons, peaches, apricots, feijoas, mandarin, oranges, pepino, bananas, macadamias, plums, nashi pears, plus has a big vege garden. The garden and orchard are the only things I miss living on the boat.
feijoas we had a tree in the garden in NZ when I was a kid. Can't even buy them oer here. I miss fresh peaches and pears. At least I can grow a good number of veg here in the UK.
Hmm. Maybe I could retire in New Zealand!
That would be my dream come true