• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Way too much to down load

Carey

Extraordinary
luten for punishment here, Decided to try to set up daz studio...Started by playing with the app Daz Central on my mac.. First thing I looked at were assets, but seeing no place to sit, I figured out the word assets must mean something else. I looked over and saw all the things I had purchased over the last twenty five years from daz. The list was very very long, massive as a matter of fact. It seemed to want me to install them....After 10 hours of steady installing I decided to try and figure out where all these files were installing to...ahhh yea right...Now I could most likely spend the next 6 months 8 hours per day installing, this would not only suck, but also I kind of need to know where the files are going. At this point I have questions, not even sure where to start asking though.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Sorry I can't help, I don't use Daz Central (haven't heard good things) or use a Mac for my 3D stuff (don't have one at home only at work).

DanaTA

Distinguished
I, too, have avoided DAZ Central. I think I read in the documentation (what little there is to be found) that it won't even run on my computer. Requires some newer hardware or something, can't remember exactly what, but I remember deciding it's not worth the trouble. And I, too, have heard some complaints about it.

Dana

Kerya

Brilliant
I would never use Daz Central ... it's still beta and has killed quite a lot of installs ... so sorry, no help here.

That said: which Mac OS? Because:

Please be aware that at the moment Daz Studio is not compatible with macOS Big Sur and cannot be made to run. At present the only option for running DS under MacOS is to downgrade the OS to an earlier version.
Daz is working on an update to address this issue, but it is not due until mid-2021.

Carey

Extraordinary
Sorry I can't help, I don't use Daz Central (haven't heard good things) or use a Mac for my 3D stuff (don't have one at home only at work).
I would never use Daz Central ... it's still beta and has killed quite a lot of installs ... so sorry, no help here.

That said: which Mac OS? Because:
I, too, have avoided DAZ Central. I think I read in the documentation (what little there is to be found) that it won't even run on my computer. Requires some newer hardware or something, can't remember exactly what, but I remember deciding it's not worth the trouble. And I, too, have heard some complaints about it.

Dana
Because poser 12 is not mac ready I bought a HP work station with two xeon cpu's and sixty four meg of ram, still would like to know where the files are going on the mac running on high sierra. Which I might add studio appears to run on just fine...I don't know if I have enough learning left in me at age 60+ to actually learn studio after giving up on it many years ago just because I want furry animals... thanks all for your comments!

So it sounds like you have DAZ Studio newly sitting alongside Poser 12, and they're on your Dual-Xeon HP workstation (congratulations, good pick) on which you've installed the Apple Mac OS High Sierra?

Now you want all your old DAZ store buys on the new workstation, in DAZ/Iray versions, to run alongside your existing Poser-centric runtime. If so then I would first try to selectively make a big list of the links to the manual download zip files for the DAZ-versions of the store purchases. That's the "Manual install" zip files.

To do this I would first have a "Save selected links as..." browser addon save a local HTML file, for each page in my Product Library links-list.

Then from these locally-saved pages I would have a Sobolsoft tool (or similar utility) extract three lines above and below the following unique HTML tag....

Code:
title=3D"Manual Download">

For some reason the HTML of the saved page has "3D" futzing up the code, as you can see above, and also hard breaks with a "=" breaking link paths. But that's easily fixed. With a little finessing of each text block with a multi-line search-replace tool, you would have a clean list of all the target links - one per line.

The links download their manual zips fine - even if you are not on the page itself, but have moved away to some other order page.

With such a cleaned URL list in hand, I would then have a number of options.

1. Have a downloader addon in your browser download the list's zip files slowly over a few months, ten items a day. Unzip and install manually to wherever your latest version of Daz Studio has its own runtime.

2. Try to get all of the list downloaded continually, via some sort of scripted process. Due to the store logins that would likely have to be browser-based and via a downloader addon. Ideally one that doesn't just try to go get everything at once, but three or four at a time, and has a ten minute pause between each batch. Even then you might trigger some blocking bot, even when logged in.

3. Pay a small-but-willing relative a substantial chunk of pocket-money to spend several days downloading the list manually.

Carey

Extraordinary
Did I mention how much I love rebuilding hard-drives? Ran into an old daz install manager, it worked, well almost, I think it did down load, didn't down load where I wanted it to, nor would it install, I need a drink, contemplating drinking draino, Did I mention how much I love rebuilding a hard-drive? Two computers sitting side by side, yet they refuse to talk to each other. I keep telling myself I know computers and how to network them. Haven't networked anything since windows XP.. Going to break out external hard drive. Called poison control in case that doesn't work... Yes. I'm kidding, but did I mention how much I love rebuilding hard drives? lol

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I feel your pain as I've had to redo my daz/poser runtimes a couple of times in the past when I've cooked a computer or 2.
I do use DIM and you can tell it were to install stuff for the most part.

Carey

Extraordinary
I feel your pain as I've had to redo my daz/poser runtimes a couple of times in the past when I've cooked a computer or 2.
I do use DIM and you can tell it were to install stuff for the most part.
I set DIM for my d drive, turned it loose and it starts downloading to my c drive, tried to change it, couldn't make it stop downloading.. found an old 74 gig hardrive, will let you know how that turns out in a week or so, only have 400 gig to move... I have hard drives that date back to the 1970's all have buried treasure on them from the days of being a disney animator want to be. Haven't messed with a windows puter for 8 years..,Forgot why me and billy gates parted ways

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
you have to tell it where to download as well as where to install (it will default to c)

DanaTA

Distinguished
I set DIM for my d drive, turned it loose and it starts downloading to my c drive, tried to change it, couldn't make it stop downloading.. found an old 74 gig hardrive, will let you know how that turns out in a week or so, only have 400 gig to move... I have hard drives that date back to the 1970's all have buried treasure on them from the days of being a disney animator want to be. Haven't messed with a windows puter for 8 years..,Forgot why me and billy gates parted ways
Carey, you tell DIM where to install content by clicking on the gear in the upper right, and select Advanced Settings. When that dialog opens, you select the third tab, titled Installation. In this tab, you can specify location paths for the software, see where the content database is, where the DIM manifest files are, and you can specify the path to your preferred library location. One line will always show "Recommended", but you can specify another path and select that as the active path.

DIM Install paths.jpg

There is also a tab where you can define the download path(s).

Dana

Carey

Extraordinary
Found a 3 terrabyte drive, problem: I made the drive readable only, no I am not paranoid, well most of the time anyway Problem 2: if you ever make a drive readable only you best plan on keeping the computer around that you made it readable only on forever, either that or spend hours and hours, Wife says it was just half a day, I say it was hours and hours, my wife simply doesn't know how to keep track of computer repair time. Ever have a hard drive problem? No? Most people would just buy a new drive, but you see I am from a time when 29 meg hard drives were a few hundreds of dollars.... Well. okay so I enjoy fighting with a computer and this time I won, well mostly, got the hard drive to work...got my files moved and finally got windows ten to recognize my mac, the mac is still playing hard to get though and to think, Once I came real close to running a dating service. breeding mules was easier I swear....lol

Kerya

Brilliant
Nice to hear you won!
Computer problem solving time ... oh yes, it does feel different to normal time.