• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

very new to acctually making something to try to sell

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
texture

cloth test.jpg

matt

ok so i got a box and export as a obj...then import in daz...then apply the texture and the uv set from the file i made?

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
the uv's are already contained in the obj, you don't import those, you use the template from the uv to paint your textures on

so import the thing you made, then apply the texture
that should give you the idea of how everything works

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I always think of the textures as being image maps but you are correct you can use procedural shaders(we call them bricks in DS) to get similar results and you can also use images in conjunction with shaders. I've always used the term shaders for networks created within the program. I suppose it can be a term applied to shaders I've just never heard it used that way. When I heard the word texturing used it's always been used in connection with either a 2D or 3D paint program. Something to think about some more...

I tend to forget about 3d paint programs, since I don't have any. That might be why I think of textures the way I do. As I understand most 3d paint programs, they create things like specular, diffuse, transparency maps etc. from what you are painting. So they create image maps, but they create ones designed specifically for use in 3d that are designed to be combined together.

I think DS tends towards the idea of shaders being the network for in the program precisely because you have Shader Mixer, and the way it shares them out. I first ran into shaders in Maya, where it referred to what DS would call the bricks. But now that I realize from some of matt's other posts, that he is using DS, the DS terminology is definitely the way to go.

matt

ok yes i got that and it worked. I saw a article on the net about what and obj will hold in an export. very intresting, i had not known this before. I suppose the most notible thing i learned is that in a single jpeg or tiff or png if you know how to include channels inor layers in those formats in photot shop you could actually export a lot of uv mapps in a single file? right? thanks
the next thing here is how does this fit into the runtime scheem? or how do i put it together so it is postable either here or for sale or show here?

matt

I am useing daz studio. its all i have ever used. other than these other programs. I didnt even know what poser was untill i had been doing this and playing around with it for a while.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I tend to forget about 3d paint programs, since I don't have any. That might be why I think of textures the way I do. As I understand most 3d paint programs, they create things like specular, diffuse, transparency maps etc. from what you are painting. So they create image maps, but they create ones designed specifically for use in 3d that are designed to be combined together.
Pretty much as you do the displacement and diffuse at the same time. I'm still working out the use of alphas in Zbrush. I know it can be done just haven't had chance to watch any tutes on it yet. Specular maps are a separate thing in Zbrush from what I've seen on video tutorials I'm still to try creating them using the process I've seen.
I think DS tends towards the idea of shaders being the network for in the program precisely because you have Shader Mixer, and the way it shares them out. I first ran into shaders in Maya, where it referred to what DS would call the bricks. But now that I realize from some of matt's other posts, that he is using DS, the DS terminology is definitely the way to go.
I've seen that definition even before DS had Shadermixer I've just noticed it more around that time as I was trying to work out what the difference was with some of the terminology like shaders and shader presets.

@matt, I've always used separate images files for different channels in the surface map. I normally do a diffuse(colour image) bump and/or displacement or normal maps and a specular. I'm still learning some of this stuff myself for example the maps that have the red, orange and blue colours which I've seen recently in a merchant resource at Daz which I think is for subsurface settings but I'm still trying to find a good tutorial on its usage.

matt

I see. yes. The image based is fine with me most of the time. However i dont have zbrush. If i remember right Carrara had a set of math functions you could apply in various ways that really poped on a model. I have not used Carrara for a while, it was a nice program , we just couldnt get any tut or work flow info so we stopped useing it and thats how i wound up with Light Wave. the basics are the same for the network shadrers, just different names and many more possibilities. What i like about them is that they really do render faster and save on ram, or so i am told. I dont have enough math background to take full advantage of them but the preview mode really does help if you even made it out of high school with average math skills.
the normal maps, that red blue and some other color i think are great maps for adding detail and they cad be made " high res" if you know how. I haven't done that in a while ,i might need to go back and review those tuts. Having soft ware that is well, well,well documented is the key really. There are books on Amazon and E bay, cheap, but nothing will replace workflow and options education,,,,suddenly i realize i am on a tear. one last thing i discovered on the network shader nodes . Microsoft has the book on thoses, it over my head but just type in visual graphics node or something like that and you will get the whole list that is available "bgricks" a really good explanation and possibly some examples. not to menition just look at the links. If you have a nvidia card get CUDA tool kit, It will help and if you a lot on speed and other things.....yea i went over board...lolhahaha

matt

hey good news ,,,after beating my head against the daz wall... i did manage to really rig a ginger breadman from one the tuts they sell very cheap,,,now the trick is, can i do it to other thing? this is the questing,,,and the grand is.... answer is i dont know...lolhahahah I would like to start doing things with dawn from here, Daz has made it well known they have all the comers they want...unless your special,,,I am special but not like that,lolhaha S o dawn here i come .....who should i talk to about where to start with dawn?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
What do you want to do for Dawn? Morphs? Textures? Clothing? I could probably give you a starting point.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Each Hivewire character is unique and has it's own set of head and body morphs. However that said I have seen tutorials for transferring the morph between figures on a blog...I think it was Red Eye Cat????