• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Using Adaptive Sampling and Optix

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Once I've got used to OptiX rendering with adaptive sampling, I just can't go back to Poser 11 for rendering anymore - too slow.
I usually see adaptive sampling set to 0.00 by default, but have no idea what to reset it to for better results, or is 0.00 the best setting to use?

eclark1894

Visionary
I usually see adaptive sampling set to 0.00 by default, but have no idea what to reset it to for better results, or is 0.00 the best setting to use?
From my experience only, default is never the best setting to use, just the quickest.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist

The default is zero, meaning adaptive sampling might take a little longer to finish the render, and depending on what hardware you have, you might not notice the difference. You might want to try setting it to 0.02 and see if you can notice a difference. That should speed it up a bit. There is a certain threshold of noise amount in an image that the human eye cannot perceive, even if you try hard. The default will get you the best results, but 0.02 might get it a little sooner. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhh, OK. I'll try it out and see if I get any difference between the two settings. This puppy's only 2 years old, but a laptop, so a fairly good system, but not necessarily as good as a dekstop that could have larger capacity hardware.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, I just checked, the Adaptive Sampling set at 0.02 was quite a bit faster, but both tests I did were under a minute, as I just had a character with no clothing on, so not a true test. I'll have to try it again later with a fully dressed character, and hair, which takes the most time to render, especially in a closeup.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I don't use Branched Path Tracing, I use Progressive Refinement with multiple devices until my eyes tells me it is ready .. when you dealing with SSS and caustics the default settings are useless even on the Ultra quality settings .. Progressive Refinement is much slower without Branch Path Tracing but I am going for the quality not the time .
Adaptive Sampling set at 0.02 is too noisy for me especially with SSS.. however good for quick tests , it render for me 2500 samples in less than 20 second . All depends on what kind of materials you trying to render with and how closer they are to your camera. In short there is not one super setting for everything .

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I used to rely on BPT (branched path-tracing), but not anymore. I have much finer control by ramping up the individual parameters than multiplying all of them with BPT, which may end up taking much longer because it might be multiplying the values for parameters I didn't need to change. Progressive Refinement slows the render down, but it allows saving a partial result if we stop the render before it's finished, so it has its pros and cons.

Adaptive sampling of 0.02 might be good for previews, or final renders, depending on the scene materials (like Cath said). But in general, you can get results faster, and if it needs more time, reduce the value. In general, we do much more previews than final renders, so 0.02 is a good value to use by default.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I used to rely on BPT (branched path-tracing), but not anymore. I have much finer control by ramping up the individual parameters than multiplying all of them with BPT, which may end up taking much longer because it might be multiplying the values for parameters I didn't need to change. Progressive Refinement slows the render down, but it allows saving a partial result if we stop the render before it's finished, so it has its pros and cons.

Adaptive sampling of 0.02 might be good for previews, or final renders, depending on the scene materials (like Cath said). But in general, you can get results faster, and if it needs more time, reduce the value. In general, we do much more previews than final renders, so 0.02 is a good value to use by default.
You know what I like to do ? render with PR whole preview then for example when changing eyes or lashes rendering only the parts I changed and don't have to go through the whole image again, that is time saving lol

jartz

Inspired
Looking great, Cath! Very realistic. :D

Once I've got used to OptiX rendering with adaptive sampling, I just can't go back to Poser 11 for rendering anymore - too slow. However, rigging contents in P12 is still buggy in this early access, so that's one reason I go back to P11. The Hierarchy Editor has been upgraded in P12 to now start with all nodes collapse, which was one of the most requested features for years, and it also got options to expand all children from the current node with ALT+Click, which is very efficient. I miss that when I go to P11. They have also fixed TONS of critical bugs in P12 that will always exist in older versions. Poser 12 is going to be great when it gets out of early access. ^____^

Not to digress on said topic, but are you using OptiX on P12, and how is it? I just download it from NVIDIA and wanted to see what it's all about. I could use it via Blender 3.0, I only got P11 and I'm quite on the fence with 12. Thanks.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
You know what I like to do ? render with PR whole preview then for example when changing eyes or lashes rendering only the parts I changed and don't have to go through the whole image again, that is time saving lol

By "PR" do you mean progressive render or partial renders? Based on the context, I would assume it's the latter? When I render with OptiX, sometimes Poser takes longer to load the scene than to do the render itself, so partial renders aren't as much needed. Depends on the scene, I guess. Rendering close-ups of the head always takes longer because the head had areas with transparency, like the eyes and lashes, not to mention hair. That's usually when I use partial renders to save time.

Not to digress on said topic, but are you using OptiX on P12, and how is it? I just download it from NVIDIA and wanted to see what it's all about. I could use it via Blender 3.0, I only got P11 and I'm quite on the fence with 12. Thanks.

What I can say is that OptiX is many times faster than CUDA Cycles, so that speaks for itself. That, along with the new "Adaptive Sampling" can speed up renders to a whole new level - to a point where P11 feels too slow to be usable when it comes to rendering speeds. However, OptiX requires an RTX card, and those have become both expensive and hard to find. Until not long ago, I only had a GTX card, so OptiX was disabled by default. Now I have upgraded to an RTX card, and OptiX has become my rendering engine of choice because it's FAST, making CUDA Cycles seem too slow even in P12.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
OptiX don't render nor it is an rendering engine, it allows Cycles engine to access Cuda cores faster on RTX cards for 60% and more speed up rendering time . You can still use Optix rendering with GTX cards . OptiX can't send all shader nodes to the cuda cores so there are some limitations.
You always render with CUDA cores no matter Optix or not .

Guys I suggest we switch the room as it is not place for talking about this stuff , it is Dawn 2.0 thread , we should move to Poser forum and continue it there.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, back to the topic of discussion . . .

Well, I did a close up render with the Face Camera, and Adaptive Sampling set to 0.02, and it took about 3 minutes. The same render with the Adaptive Sampling set to 0.00 took around 15 minutes.

Then I just decided to try one more time, because I DON'T have an RTX Card, but my GTX 1660 Ti has the same Turing system as the RTX cards, and the reason I had to wait for Renderosity to get that issue fixed for those who don't have RTX cards. It just turns out, when I got my laptop 2 years ago, I told the salesman I can't use the RTX card, so he gave me the GTX 1660 instead, but because it also has the Turing system, I had to wait.

Well, with the Adaptive Sampling set to 0.02, my OptiX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti took about 6 minutes, and I had Progressive Refinement checked, and as is my preference Transparent Backgound also checked. All 3 of those renders were with 75 samples, which is higher than I usually use in P11, so NOT BAD AT ALL!!

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
That's good Miss B , yes it is much faster , if I don't need my SSS I am using it for sure even for final render or preview animation .
When you said how long it take to render, please make sure you include the samples amount.
OptiX for me not working right now , as I have my latest driver updated and all I got is black screen , it was working before my last update .

We need to make a bench mark , create a scene and render it on our machines to see the true speed of GPU ,Optix and rendering setting , it would be quite interesting .
When I have a second I will prepare the scene with vários materials

P.S thanks for moving the post to this thread we have so many space and don't use it lol I think others would be also interested in this info , since Dawn2 is coming and we are going to be extra busy with rendering

Miss B

CV-BEE
When you said how long it take to render, please make sure you include the samples amount.
I mentioned it in the last paragraph of that post, but here it is again. I used 75 samples. Normally I only use between 40 and 50 samples, unless I'm doing a very quick test render. Then I only use about 20 samples so I can see it quick. Of course, that's in P11, which doesn't have Adaptive Sampling or OptiX. Oh, and I usually render with my CPU in P11. With the OptiX in P12, it's the GPU.

I'm definitely going to be playing more with these settings from now on when working in P12. ;)

Miss B

CV-BEE
P.S thanks for moving the post to this thread we have so many space and don't use it lol I think others would be also interested in this info , since Dawn2 is coming and we are going to be extra busy with rendering
No problem, as I was beginning to think the same.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
OK, back to the topic of discussion . . .

Well, I did a close up render with the Face Camera, and Adaptive Sampling set to 0.02, and it took about 3 minutes. The same render with the Adaptive Sampling set to 0.00 took around 15 minutes.

Then I just decided to try one more time, because I DON'T have an RTX Card, but my GTX 1660 Ti has the same Turing system as the RTX cards, and the reason I had to wait for Renderosity to get that issue fixed for those who don't have RTX cards. It just turns out, when I got my laptop 2 years ago, I told the salesman I can't use the RTX card, so he gave me the GTX 1660 instead, but because it also has the Turing system, I had to wait.

Well, with the Adaptive Sampling set to 0.02, my OptiX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti took about 6 minutes, and I had Progressive Refinement checked, and as is my preference Transparent Backgound also checked. All 3 of those renders were with 75 samples, which is higher than I usually use in P11, so NOT BAD AT ALL!!
Miss B , you card can render using Optix but it not using it optimal as RTX , RTX cards rendering with OptiX have like 2 cards installed in their system 60-70% faster .. No GTX card can do that on this % level .. it speeding up a lot but not full potential .
I guess every minute counts right ?