• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Universal Resources

Thanks for the welcome to HiveWire.
Since I enjoy modeling, and sharing my work, it seems a more universal format would be useful. As you can see the props I've posted at shareCG are for unlimited use.
As a resource geometry would be more practical if provided in OBJ format. The reason being that other artists could import the geometry into other development tools to create their products with.
OBJ files refert to MAT files for the textures, and the MAT files refer to the textures with no path info. (at least when exported from Lightwave). So my question to anyone who would care to make a suggestion is this;
What would be a good way to structure the directory in which the files are zipped?
Everything in the same directory? Or the textures in a texture directory? Or??
Poser and DS have complex directory structures so trying to use those complicates the task of importing the resource into a project.
What say?
Thanks again

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thanks for the welcome to HiveWire.
Since I enjoy modeling, and sharing my work, it seems a more universal format would be useful. As you can see the props I've posted at shareCG are for unlimited use.
As a resource geometry would be more practical if provided in OBJ format. The reason being that other artists could import the geometry into other development tools to create their products with.
OBJ files refert to MAT files for the textures, and the MAT files refer to the textures with no path info. (at least when exported from Lightwave). So my question to anyone who would care to make a suggestion is this;
What would be a good way to structure the directory in which the files are zipped?
Everything in the same directory? Or the textures in a texture directory? Or??
Poser and DS have complex directory structures so trying to use those complicates the task of importing the resource into a project.
What say?
Thanks again

I would definitely separate the objects and the textures into separate folders.

You'll find that some users jump to conclusions about your lack of organization. Not fair, but still the "norm."

You'll also find that newbies won't know what to do with your files unless they unzip normally like a Poser/DS product.

They will still download them......they just won't know what to do with them.

It seems there are some who will download everything that's free. Well, why not. I had a conversation with a game developer who uses another modeling tool to create props. Not Poser/DS stuff of course. She wanted to have the OBJs for a Poser prop I made. Got me thinking.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You'll also find that newbies won't know what to do with your files unless they unzip normally like a Poser/DS product.

They will still download them......they just won't know what to do with them.
I always thought that's what a ReadMe file was for. I'm sure if it's explained that it's ONLY in OBJ format, so it can be imported into "any" 3D software, folks would understand they're not going to see the Poser/DS files they're used to.

That can also be put on a download page, so folks can see it BEFORE they download the freebies. At least, that's what I would do.

Gaming stuff really needs to be lower polygon count I think. If game developers download my OBJs they will pro'ly need to reduce the polys. 50,000 polys is my min. target. :geek:

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I always thought that's what a ReadMe file was for. I'm sure if it's explained that it's ONLY in OBJ format, so it can be imported into "any" 3D software, folks would understand they're not going to see the Poser/DS files they're used to.

That can also be put on a download page, so folks can see it BEFORE they download the freebies. At least, that's what I would do.

The problem is that only a few, like you and I, read the ReadMe files. Sadly.

I always review the ReadMe on install. How else am I supposed to know if there are special instructions?

That logic fails most folks though.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Gaming stuff really needs to be lower polygon count I think. If game developers download my OBJs they will pro'ly need to reduce the polys. 50,000 polys is my min. target. :geek:

It kind of depends on what it is they are trying to use, but it sounds like you've got a nice rule of thumb.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I always review the ReadMe on install. How else am I supposed to know if there are special instructions?
Sadly, I learned my lesson the hard way. I had bought one of Maclean's sets years ago at DAZ, and I actually emailed him for help/instructions on how to use it. He emailed me back that the ReadMe was a 20+ page tutorial. Talk about embarrassing.
BangHeadEmoti.gif

I haven't made that mistake since.

There's an new OBJ prop now on my shareCG page to test this idea. No ReadMe however, users will have to guess what it's for.

jecnodde

Admirable
I sometimes read the readme....it depends really what kind of item, from who + if I get problem using the item :p

In question of obj....hmm I tend to like when there is both poser version + pure obj with mtl. Since I tend to switch between software depending on what I want to do. Props made for DS only, I export them out as obj to use in Poser or Vue.

I have bought set that is pure just obj and done my own "converting to" poser props.

...but ehmm I have also made misstake. Like when I bought a dress, thinking it was conform, just to find out it was dynamic :). Its been a long learning since I first started with poser in 2003