• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Totality

AetherDream

Breathing Life into Characters
Contributing Artist
Hi Everyone, As some of you may already know, I live in Clarksville Tennessee where we had the total eclipse of the sun. For a moment the sun and the moon met in the sky, the birds began to sing, the crickets caroled, and the stars appeared. I stood there with my children in awe.
For a brief moment during the totality I took some pictures. Just sharing. It was an amazing experience.
Breif Encounter in the Sky.jpg

eclark1894

Visionary
It got darker, but really, no more than if the sun had ducked behind a cloud. I live in Raleigh, NC. I think we had 93% here. Actually, I've seen it get darker in a Thunderstorm.

AetherDream

Breathing Life into Characters
Contributing Artist
It got darker, but really, no more than if the sun had ducked behind a cloud. I live in Raleigh, NC. I think we had 93% here. Actually, I've seen it get darker in a Thunderstorm.
It was strange. It was only dim until the very last second until it was fully eclipsed. Actually, I would just have though it was a strange light phenomena until it suddenly went out for about 2 full minutes then very quickly grew brighter. I was amazed that even a small sliver of the sun still produces a great amount of light. The darkness did not occur until the totality.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
It was strange. It was only dim until the very last second until it was fully eclipsed. Actually, I would just have though it was a strange light phenomena until it suddenly went out for about 2 full minutes then very quickly grew brighter. I was amazed that even a small sliver of the sun still produces a great amount of light. The darkness did not occur until the totality.

Was very cool here in Northeast Georgia. The best part for me were the shadows - they were all crescents! The tree leaves formed hundreds of tiny crescent shadows! It got pretty dark (my solar light kicked on) and I was at a 98.8% totality spot.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Cool! Same here as Earl, I think 90-93% totality, and it definitely got darker, but not dark. We just watched on tv, since we didn't have glasses.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Here in NY, where we only had 70-71%, it only got very slightly darker, because I could still see the sun shining on the buildings north of us (the kitchen window), and west of us (the living room windows).

I did watch a live show on CBS being broadcast from Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, where they had Totality, and they also reported the crescent shaped shadows on the ground, where they had students sitting and waiting for just such an occurance.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Here in NY, where we only had 70-71%, it only got very slightly darker, because I could still see the sun shining on the buildings north of us (the kitchen window), and west of us (the living room windows).

I did watch a live show on CBS being broadcast from Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, where they had Totality, and they also reported the crescent shaped shadows on the ground, where they had students sitting and waiting for just such an occurance.

It was like dusk here, not dark, but it also got eerily quiet - no birds singing, just quiet - during the darkest part. But the crescent shaped shadows were the coolest part if you ask me.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I wasn't outside to see them, but I would think they would be pretty cool to see. It only got slightly darker, as someone else posted, as if a slow moving cloud had passed by at the time, so the sun wasn't shining as brightly, but it didn't really turn dark. It certainly wasn't like dusk; that's much darker.

SndCastie

Admirable
QAV-BEE
did anyone elses computer screen color change when it got done in Or. my screen went from white to a yellow cast. just now got it back to normal . Weird

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I wasn't outside to see them, but I would think they would be pretty cool to see. It only got slightly darker, as someone else posted, as if a slow moving cloud had passed by at the time, so the sun wasn't shining as brightly, but it didn't really turn dark. It certainly wasn't like dusk; that's much darker.

I don't normally turn lights on during the day, have lots of windows and I really love natural light. But, during totality, I had to reach up and turn on the light in the room I was in as it was dark enough to trip over a puppy sleeping under my feet.

eclark1894

Visionary
I don't normally turn lights on during the day, have lots of windows and I really love natural light. But, during totality, I had to reach up and turn on the light in the room I was in as it was dark enough to trip over a puppy sleeping under my feet.
Yeah, but that's what puppies and cats do, Traci. Get underfoot. I don't know how many times I've nearly killed either myself or the cat in a fully lit room.:sneaky:

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Yeah, but that's what puppies and cats do, Traci. Get underfoot. I don't know how many times I've nearly killed either myself or the cat in a fully lit room.:sneaky:

ROFL, true!

Was at my brother's this morning where he has 3 wk old kittens, 2 dogs were at my knee, nudging my arm........look, look, look at me! Looked down, and one of the tiny kittens had escaped the crate and the dogs were trying to tell me.

Nothing to do with the eclipse, just thought it was cute.

Miss B

CV-BEE
did anyone elses computer screen color change when it got done in Or. my screen went from white to a yellow cast. just now got it back to normal . Weird
I had read there were concerns where solar panels were used for electricity. Here where I am, Con Edison offers you the choice of using solar panel service, though it's in addition to Con Ed's service, and it saves money on your bills. That said, the solar panels they employ are further north from us (don't recall exactly where), so probably within a much lower percentage area for the Eclipse. I was concerned there might be some loss of power, but not even a hiccup, as I was online the whole time.

I wonder if your electricity supplier utilizes solar panels to some degree, and that's why your computer monitor changed as it did.

Miss B

CV-BEE
ROFL, true!

Was at my brother's this morning where he has 3 wk old kittens, 2 dogs were at my knee, nudging my arm........look, look, look at me! Looked down, and one of the tiny kittens had escaped the crate and the dogs were trying to tell me.

Nothing to do with the eclipse, just thought it was cute.
That is cute, and your brother's lucky the dogs have taken to the kittens so easily. I have a friend who's son lives in Nashville who had to evacuate prior to Katrina, and decided to go up to where she is in the middle of Mississippi. He brought his dog with him, and the dog did NOT like any of my friend's cats and kittens, which didn't make for a good visit.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
That is cute, and your brother's lucky the dogs have taken to the kittens so easily. I have a friend who's son lives in Nashville who had to evacuate prior to Katrina, and decided to go up to where she is in the middle of Mississippi. He brought his dog with him, and the dog did NOT like any of my friend's cats and kittens, which didn't make for a good visit.

These guys were all raised with cats, so they think they are the designated "kitten sitters." My brother's 10 yr. old basset is a "cat whisperer" brother says. When one of their cats escapes outside and they can't find it, they send him out and he comes back with the cat every time.

I bet that made for a very uncomfortable visit, though!

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
~75 percent here in NJ. The light was like when a big cloud rolls through - muted but still bright. There was one bird - may be a crow? - making a big fuss right at the max point. His voice was familiar but I'm not sure by call alone. I was near the A/C unit outside which makes a fair bit of noise so it was hard to hear animal sounds clearly.

Whew! Glad that's over! Anyone else feel a sense of relief?

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes! I'm so glad that we won't be inundated with eclipse news as if none of us knew it was going to happen!

It was too overcast here in Philadelphia to see anything, and too noisy to hear anything "natural." Of course, in Center City, natural is pigeons and rats :p

It didn't seem like it got all that darker here, not until the eclipse was done, and it did become noticeably brighter. One of my coworkers went down to the street and discovered it was packed with people. As if they could see anyone surrounded by all the high rise buildings we are.

Miss B

CV-BEE
~75 percent here in NJ. The light was like when a big cloud rolls through - muted but still bright. There was one bird - may be a crow? - making a big fuss right at the max point. His voice was familiar but I'm not sure by call alone. I was near the A/C unit outside which makes a fair bit of noise so it was hard to hear animal sounds clearly.
That sounds like what I experienced here in NY though we were at around 70-71%. I live on the top floor of an apartment building, so don't really hear anything but airplanes landing at the airport not to far from here.

Whew! Glad that's over! Anyone else feel a sense of relief?
I did, but only because I was anxious I would miss it if I wasn't paying attention, not about the Eclipse itself.