• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Toss me into the Quixel users category.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Went side by side w/ the bf doing things that I'd need to achieve in Substance Painter while he tried the same in Quixel 2.0 and I ran into a lot more bugs and hangups than he did (which have been driving me batty for a while), especially when baking maps.

End result? I plonked down the cash for the indie license while it's on sale.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I've not been able to afford either of them yet. They do look interesting though...

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
For the daz/poserverse I'd honestly say go for Quixel first if you plan on getting both. It has some features that substance lacks that makes things a bit easier and less annoying. Substance's map exports were hideous in my tests and Quixel's came out nice and clean as expected.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's a fairly decent sale price, but it requires PS CS3 and I'm using PS CS2, and I don't have an nVidia GPU on this laptop, so not sure I could use it. Maybe if they had a trial download, even a restricted one where you can't save, would at least give me an idea whether or not it would work for me.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Nice to know...I take it from Miss B's post it's actually on sale at the moment.

Edited to add that is a good price. I have birthday money coming up shortly I will have to download and try it...

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Just a heads up, I'm not sure how long the sale will run for. I know it's a holday/xmas sale though.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Nice to know...I take it from Miss B's post it's actually on sale at the moment.

Edited to add that is a good price. I have birthday money coming up shortly I will have to download and try it...
That's the problem for me Pen, I can't find a trial version to download. Some software manufacturers don't do that.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhhh, I didn't realize you could even download it w/o paying for it. I'll have to go back and check that out.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Lots of companies do that...I'll download and look at it tomorrow...been a busy day as I went out for a long lunch.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, I just went back, and for some reason I saw the Pay button, but didn't realize that was a Download link to the left of it. :headdesk: Now I'm downloading it to see what it's all about. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm downloading it at the moment...it does look useful. I just finished watching the video on the download page. I'll just have to hope it lasts a little while longer. Fingers crossed...

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
There are actually a couple vids regarding prepping things from Blender, so these guys understand not everyone uses the high end stuff. There are 2 videos, still waiting on the 3rd, which is supposed to be setting the maps up in Blender for cycles.

learn - Quixel