• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Too good not to share

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Ah, Freehand. Aldus Freehand when I first started using it. Adobe bought Aldus to get PageMaker, and tried to kill it then. The developers at Altsys got it back and sold themselves to Macromedia. That kept it going for several more years. But the marketing department ruined it with the last version before Adobe bought Macromedia to get Dreamweaver, and killed it for good that time. FreeHand 10 was the last version that I found usable.

I used that application for 22 years. What it did it did very well indeed.

Games? I think I brought a copy of 'Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego' home from MacWorld back in the '90s. Along with a copy of Typestyler. I found Typestyler a lot more fun overall.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Ah, Freehand. Aldus Freehand when I first started using it. Adobe bought Aldus to get PageMaker, and tried to kill it then. The developers at Altsys got it back and sold themselves to Macromedia. That kept it going for several more years. But the marketing department ruined it with the last version before Adobe bought Macromedia to get Dreamweaver, and killed it for good that time. FreeHand 10 was the last version that I found usable.

I used that application for 22 years. What it did it did very well indeed.

Games? I think I brought a copy of 'Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego' home from MacWorld back in the '90s. Along with a copy of Typestyler. I found Typestyler a lot more fun overall.

Typestyler is still available. Fully functional Demo for 30 days. Pity it's for Mac only but you Mac users can still profit!

As far as games, one can join Multiplayer modes in different games nowadays, but back in the day the real fun was getting together in LAN party. One still got the multiplayer action but without the rudeness that Internet cowards enjoy. You actually made friends that you could high five! Heh. Anyone remember BBS boards?

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Typestyler *is* fun. But the last I used it, it was like watching the paint dry. It never was a speedy program, but it did some things that couldn't be duplicated elsewhere.

The LA Mac users Group used to have rather a nice BBS. But once the www went into commission ('93 I think, although AOL was already on the ground before that) they decommissioned it.

D

Deleted member 325

Good old BBS and Door games. I was always fond of Trade Wars and Baron Realms Elite.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
The tech flipped it into the nearest waste basket, and told the guy to NEVER tack a floppy disk up on the cork board ever again. The guy said "Why, I put it up there so it would be easy to find?" The tech just turned and walked away, shaking his head as he went.

I know I'm sticking my neck out here but I'm curious and anyway I've never seen a floppy disk except online. So why shouldn't he hang it up?

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
This old Stromberg/Carlson or Bell rotary phones were built like tanks. Also that tactile feel of turning that rotary mechanism and hearing that sound of it spinning, was cool!

My Granny has one of them on a table in her hallway. I don't know if it still works but it looks like quality made and is very heavy.

Hornet3d

Wise
I know I'm sticking my neck out here but I'm curious and anyway I've never seen a floppy disk except online. So why shouldn't he hang it up?

Couple of reasons, imagine a disk to be a magnetic recording tape say like the old VHS (assuming you have seen those of course) laid flat out. Each time you put a tack through the disk you are punching a hole and putting in a data error as part of the disc is now gone. The also spin quite fast and they are quite thin so if the tack punches a hole with raised edges on the other side it could snag when trying to spin. The other way to ruin them was to put them on top of a speaker where the magnetic field from the speaker can erase the data. As happened when I was in tech support and my company had one of the office staff drive out with a new set of disks which they placed on the parcel shelf in their car and then amused themselves with some very loud music on the way over. The aftermarket large speakers in the parcel shelf made a great job of wiping the lot.

Hornet3d

Wise
My Granny has one of them on a table in her hallway. I don't know if it still works but it looks like quality made and is very heavy.

Now I feel old, when I started in telecommunications one job I performed on a regular basis was to adjust the speed of the telephone dial so it gave 10 pulses per second, which was the speed the telephone exchange was geared up to receive.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Because he stuck it up with a pin. Floppy disks of the old variety didn't have holes in the center like an old vinyl 45 record. Sticking a pin in it ruins it, so any information on it becomes non-retrievable at the point where the pin was stuck in.

Do that in a couple of places and it's totally useless.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
He didn't know how to do it.
5.25 had a big center hole.
most 3.5 had one or two in the corners.
Any other place...

Hornet3d

Wise
Any other place...

I was tempted to say that by hanging it up all the data stuff would fall out the bottom.....ohh hang on I just did.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Any other place...
Geeze, it's been so long since I've seen a floppy disk, I didn't remember them having center holes.
BangHeadEmoti.gif

D

Deleted member 325

I still have equipment that uses floppies (5.25 and 3.4). I think I may take a picture or two for visual references for everyone...

Hornet3d

Wise
I still have equipment that uses floppies (5.25 and 3.4). I think I may take a picture or two for visual references for everyone...

I have a 5.25 disk unit for an Atari computer and you could build a complete computer in the box these days. I also have a Yamaha keyboard that has a 3.4 drive unit built in and the disks to go with it. I even have a zip drive somewhere I think. None of it is used these days but I can't get around to throwing them out. The Atari and accessories are stored in their original boxes.

robert952

Brilliant
[
I have a 5.25 disk unit for an Atari computer and you could build a complete computer in the box these days. I also have a Yamaha keyboard that has a 3.4 drive unit built in and the disks to go with it. I even have a zip drive somewhere I think. None of it is used these days but I can't get around to throwing them out. The Atari and accessories are stored in their original boxes.

Zip Drive? Wow, can't remember how long ago I finally got rid of mine. (Methinks I had 2 of them and about 20 or so disks, some never out of their original cellophane wrappings. I think (IIRC) I actually sold them at a garage sale as they worked at the time.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Typestyler is still available. Fully functional Demo for 30 days. Pity it's for Mac only but you Mac users can still profit!

As far as games, one can join Multiplayer modes in different games nowadays, but back in the day the real fun was getting together in LAN party. One still got the multiplayer action but without the rudeness that Internet cowards enjoy. You actually made friends that you could high five! Heh. Anyone remember BBS boards?
Similar by any chance to Fontographer which was at the time industry standard for font design?

quietrob

Extraordinary
Similar by any chance to Fontographer which was at the time industry standard for font design?
Hmmm, honestly I couldn't say. Both typestyler and Fontographer are for MAC only even today as trialware. There appears to be something similar for windows. Extra small type in the center of the screen for Fontographer like it's ashamed to have a windows resource. I'm going to try that and see how it works as I'm trying to design my own alphabet. Just as a resource, I highly recommmend my not too secret font resource. Blambot.com

It's too good not to share.