• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Tiptoeing through the (c) minefield...

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I'll stop boring people with my musings on what can only be described as a laughable effort at writing code now. Here's my closing observation on this mess I made: I've learned not to place anything but the simplest statements in a try: except, and also to not just do a gatling-gun except, but to trap for a specific type of error... in this case, a missing file (or miss-spelt file, or file-name / image_list mismatch) equates to an IOError. Which I'm doing now, correctly.

I've never done as well with try: except as I would like. Probably for similar reasons you mentioned, I try to do to much there. I often stick to if: else statements, but every now and then I've found the try: except is a real life saver.

Robynsveil

Admirable
You're right: that was exactly the problem, @Gadget Girl: trying to do too much in a try: except. Also, I'm not the most logical person in the world, so sometimes getting the flow working right is a bit of a struggle. But every now and then, you get thrown a wobbly, particularly if you start trying to develop something cross-platform. Stuff that neither Linux nor Windows had any issues with caused the Mac to spit the dummy. The issue was with what happens to CSVs opened with the TextEdit.app instead of with LibreOffice... the quotes became something Blender didn't know what to do with. And it was all random, too. {{{sigh}}}
Next step: do all this stuff you'd normally edit outside of Blender, within the script itself. Back to the Blender Python pages....:eek:

Robynsveil

Admirable
Just a wee update: I'm pretty sure that the script works as it is meant to, now. :whistling: Just putting a PDF together on the whole process and will be doing more thorough testing in Windows and on the Mac. I'll post again when this has been accomplished, but feel free to have a go with it now, if you wish... it should all work. :laugh:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date Robyn. I look forward to seeing the finished script, and the PDF. :)

BTW, love the new avatar. What a cutie. ;)

Robynsveil

Admirable
Well, just a quick note to say the Figure Shaders script is currently at a usable-state stage.

I think.

It appears to function as advertised in all three platforms. The shader it produces is usable, if a bit simple. In essence, it will paint the textures you used in Poser onto the correct material zones in Blender. Please do read the README as it contains key information for getting things working right. And feel free to leave comments on issues you encounter, if any, either here or on the github site.
Note: be sure to install this script using the make_shaders.zip file contained in the FigureShaders-master.zip file, and not from the FigureShaders-master.zip itself.

So, here is where I want to take this next:
  • User-defined bump and spec levels (on the panel)
  • Set path to image textures (on the panel)
  • Allow for multiple figures to be managed simultaneously (on the panel)
  • Saving user settings in a presets location (usually with the script, I think)
  • Improve error-handling
Also, have support for more figures. And make installation and setup easier so that readme doesn't have to be that long.