• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The trials and tribulations of giving POA

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I just want to tell you a little story about trusting someone too much.

Sometimes giving someone Power of Attorney just does not work out.
That was the case for my oldest brother and he lost quite a bit over it.

He has diabetes, glaucoma and is nearly blind, he has crippling arthritis so it is hard for him to manage.

After his wife died 4 years ago, he let his sister-in-law talk him into adding her on his bank account and giving her POA.
She was so sweet and caring, looking after him…yeah, and looking out for herself.

He had items of his late wife's put back in his room, her jewelry and wedding rings, that woman took those too.
She went through the house and took whatever she wanted and told him it wasn't his house anymore it was hers.
The poor excuse for a human said when her sister died the house became hers.
Now this was an outright lie, his name was on the deed as well as his late wife's and he was in a community property state.
He inherited everything since there was no will.

Then she taking $500.00 to $900.00 a month from his account and depositing into her own account.
And when he needed something she would tell him he didn't have any money left after paying bills.

At first he believed her, then she began trying to isolate him, refusing to bring him to see my other brother and me.
She would tell him they were so busy and there was not enough money for gas for the trip.

But over this past year he began thinking more about it and realized she was lying.
He told her he wanted to take control of his accounts for himself but she said he could not revoke the POA.

When he told me that I told him that was not true, he could revoke it anytime he wished.

I explained that in order for that to be a case where he couldn't revoke it, she would have to have a doctor declare him mentally incompetent, and that is very hard to do.

During the last six months she realized he was wise to her and started taking $1000,00.00 to $ 2000,00.00 each month.

He finally got down to visit his daughter and she helped him find out how to revoke it.
They went to the bank and started new account with only him on it and had his checks sent direct deposit to the new one.

The bank said they can’t do anything with her because she was on the account jointly.
However, the social Security department is looking into it to see if they can get her on fraud.

She never made a deposit to the account so can’t really claim the money was hers.

I told my niece to contact the IRS because I really doubt she claimed it as income.
She left paper trails everywhere.

In the end, even if he doesn't get any money back, she may well pay for her fraud.

It pays to be very careful who you let have POA if you become unable to handle your own affairs.

I really hate it when someone either physically (and she may have ) or mentally abuses an older person or takes advantage or them to steal their belongings.
My sincere hope is that the IRS gets her and gives her the maximum penalty for Income Tax evasion.

I

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
What a horrible woman. She needs to be in jail, pure and simple. OMG! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Sorry your brother had to go through this. I saw the same thing (even worse) happen to my next door neighbor a couple of years ago. Her husband had passed a couple of years before, and she was eventually in need of a full-time caregiver, but the caregiver, who inserted herself here and tried to make friends with everyone on this floor, turned out to be guilty of fraud, theft, and you name it.

She took over my neighbor's apartment as if it was hers. Luckily it was still a rental (they never bought the apartment during the co-op conversion back in '87), or I'm sure she would've thought of a way to get the apartment "left to her", and then we wouldn't have been able to get rid of her when my neighbor passed away. We (the co-op board) took steps against her, and she's now banned from ever working in this building again. I don't know if the company she worked for took steps against her or not, but I sure hope they did.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
It is a shame there are people who do that to anyone who can't care for themselves.
At least his mind un-fogged a bit (his one doctor had him on Oxycodon, the really addictive one) and it messed up his thinking.
His new doctor weaned him off that stuff and also the Amitriptyline he had been having to take for depression.
That stuff is BAD, causes hallucinations something awful.

As his mind cleared he knew what she was up to and got out of there.
She tried to take his house, told him he needed to move out of her house and that it became hers when her sister died.
When he told me that I old him she was very mistaken, he was the sole heir because no will in a community property state.
Besides the house was in his name.
So now he has found a Realtor and it will soon go on the market.

And I am so happy he is getting care now and not ripped off or mistreated.

I hope the IRS hounds straight to prison.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The caretaker for a coworker's father did the same thing. I just don't get people who prey on the elderly or ill. Even worse when those people are related to the person.