• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Booklover's Corner aka "read any good books lately?"

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That's so sad FL...I have the full series plus some of the ones that her son wrote which I count as being separate even though they are in the same universe. They have a different feel to them...

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Most of the books I get now are Kindle books because I can't hold a book and turn the pages for very long.
My hands start hurting and I keep dropping the book.
But with the tablet I can set it on my lap and read it that way.
I put a ton of Kindle books in my wish list at Amazon, vampires, werewolves, romance, sci-fi...all kinds of stuff.
Anne Rice's Vampire series is there too to replace the set of paper books I gave my daughter because I hurt too much to hold them.
Someday I will own most of the books in that list. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yes...I tend to buy for the kindle app these days. At the moment I'm mainly buying new stuff but I've occasionally picked up an older book for it.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I HAD to read the Twilight series and honestly, I couldn't put them down

Me too, Alisa :) She did play fast and loose with the local Native American tribe which can NOT have made them joyful. I just totally fell for Edward and Robert Pattinson playing him did not hurt (ROAW!!!). I have all the vidoes and give myself Team Edward fests regularly.

Lorraine

I once owned the complete series of Dragonrider's of Pern unfortunately they got put down in our basement when we moved from the country back to the city.
I didn't know they were down there and the sewer backed up bad, lost all of them.

Oh no! That must have broken your heart. Much as my Robin McKinley and D.E Stevenson that didn't survive the leak broke mine. Water ingress in whatever form is death to books :(

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Me too, Alisa :) She did play fast and loose with the local Native American tribe which can NOT have made them joyful. I just totally fell for Edward and Robert Pattinson playing him did not hurt (ROAW!!!). I have all the vidoes and give myself Team Edward fests regularly.
I also loved the Twilight books, and have the videos on my Netflix list, so I'll eventually get to see them.

BTW, if you liked the Twilight books, Stephanie Meyer wrote a book before she did that series called The Host, which to me was even better than the Twilight books.

Lorraine

Yep, got that too, Miss B...haven't seen the movie though. I liked the book, completely different to the Twilight series. Considering how long it is since she wrote all those books I think she must either be suffering from extreme writer's block or comfortably living off the proceeds and not seeing the need to do any more.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, completely different from the Twilight series, which I thought were the first books she wrote, and then someone posted on the old ARTCollaborations forum a few years ago about The Host, so I went out and bought it, and really, really liked it. I didn't even realize they had made a movie out of The Host. I'll have to check Netflix, and add it to my queue. ;)

Surprising she hasn't written anything since. You're probably right though, she's probably living comfortably off the proceeds. :D

Zaarin

Brilliant
I'm a literature major, so it goes without saying that I love books. :D Tolkien is certainly my greatest love; I firmly believe that The Lord of the Rings is the most perfect story ever told, in every way possible. Other than Tolkien, I mostly love English literature--American literature tends to be too prosaic for my tastes, even though I'm American myself. I write fantasy and sci-fi, but ironically I don't really read it much--when I do, I like it to have literary qualities: beauty of language and a depth that makes you think.

Jane Austen is another particular favorite of mine. She has a keen insight on human nature and the wit to laugh at it. Being Aspergers myself, I find art in general and the novel in particular a great way to connect with people--even if it's only inside my head. You know that meme that says that if I had a nickel for every time I cared more about fictional characters than I do real people, I could pay for the therapy I obviously need? That's totally me. :p

I'm afraid I'm a bit too much of a literature snob to try Twilight. I read a few pages--I classify it with the Eragon film in the hilariously awful category. :p Having Dead-stare Whatserface--Kristen Stewart--play the main character can't have helped the film, which I'm very grateful I didn't have to suffer through. ;) Has anyone every seen Kristen Stewart make any face other than a dead stare? I haven't. She and Orlando Bloom would make a perfect couple. :p I hear Robert Patterson is one of Twilight's harshest critics, kind of like Robert Beltran and Voyager.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've seen Kristen smile, she looks better with the dead stare :D
I watched "Pride & Prejudice and Zombies" I was quite surprised how close they followed the book (changing words/sentences here and there to add the Zombie bits). It was quite good (didn't like the guy they got to play Darcy tho).

The Riley Jenson Guardian Series by Keri Arthur is another Vampire/Warewolf series I like (I've only read the first 3 though). I think it helps its set in Australia, makes it different to most books out there :D

Zaarin

Brilliant
I've seen Kristen smile, she looks better with the dead stare :D
I watched "Pride & Prejudice and Zombies" I was quite surprised how close they followed the book (changing words/sentences here and there to add the Zombie bits). It was quite good (didn't like the guy they got to play Darcy tho).

The Riley Jenson Guardian Series by Keri Arthur is another Vampire/Warewolf series I like (I've only read the first 3 though). I think it helps its set in Australia, makes it different to most books out there :D
Part of me is furious at them for despoiling Jane Austen; part of me wants to see it because I think Lily James would be a lovely Elizabeth Bennett. ;)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Actually when done well, I don't mind this kind of thing as it gets youngsters that would otherwise not read/watch this kind of book/movie interested. :)

Lorraine

I'm also a Jane Austen fan, I LOVE Pride and Prejudice, it's definitely my favourite. And I haven't watched any of the movies/tv series, they haven't been on any time I've been housesitting. I did see Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet. Really like it.

I actually read Jane Austen's books years after I read Georgette Heyer. Heyer's books are set during the Regency but are romps. When I read Austen I was surprised how close Heyer had got to the period, considering she wrote them 100 years after the fact.

I read The Moon's a Balloon last night, for only the second time after reading it 30 odd years ago. It hasn't aged, Niven is as funny as ever, his stories of Hollywood just as good as reading them the first time. But I'm sad because, after finishing it, I googled him and found he had fudged the love story between he and his second wife. She was actually a dreadful woman who, when she died, not a single person mourned. He died of ALS and reading of his last few months and her treatment of him has left a very sour taste in my mouth and made me leery of the rest of his book. This is one time I would have been far better NOT to have had internet access :(

Zaarin

Brilliant
Pride & Prejudice is my second favorite of Austen's books; I adore the acerbic wit of Northanger Abbey--funnily enough, I didn't enjoy Northanger Abbey the first time I read it because at the time I wasn't really familiar with Romantic and Gothic literature. Having read some of both since, Austen's parody is spot on. It's funny how certain things are even better in parody--Gothic literature is one of those things. Incidentally, so is noire fiction. I must confess I've never read a noire/hardboiled novel, but I love it in parody--whether that be Tracer Bullet from Calvin & Hobbes, Dixon Hill on The Next Generation, or the several excellent noire parodies on Codename: Kids Next Door. Back on Jane Austen, the only one of her novels I don't really care for is Mansfield Park. I spend the entire novel imploring Fanny to grow a spine. :( Persuasion and Sense & Sensibility are pretty good, but I don't think they compare to Northanger Abbey, Pride & Prejudice, and Emma.

I think Emma Thompson's Sense & Sensibility is a beautiful adaptation--even though it so painfully misses the point of the novel. Thompson seems to have come to the conclusion that both sisters had something to learn from the other so that by the end of the film Marianne is more sensible and Elinor is more romantic; a recurring theme throughout all of Austen's works, however, is that she valued sense over sentimentality (I cringe every time someone mistakes Austen's works for romance--yes, someone ends up married at the end of all of them, but dismissing her work as romance completely misses the point of her writing, which is far more a commentary on human nature than a love story). Still a beautiful adaptation, of course, and on the whole very true to the book--and of course Emma Thompson is always fantastic.

Lorraine

Do you ever watch QI, Zaarin, the British quiz show? In one of the episodes Emma Thompson is on and she relates what she used to do to Stephen Fry...I can not watch it too often, she is soooo funny. I haven't seen a lot of her movies but I've never seen one I didn't like.

And PS: Sense and Sensibility IS an American production, for all its English actors, and from what I've seen over the years, there MUST be a romance if women are in the movie, for as we all know, that is all women live for ;)

Zaarin

Brilliant
No, I haven't. I haven't seen a lot of her movies either, but she always seems to be perfect for whatever role she has--from Captain Amelia in Treasure Planet to Nanny McPhee to Elinor Dashwood.

And PS: Sense and Sensibility IS an American production, for all its English actors, and from what I've seen over the years, there MUST be a romance if women are in the movie, for as we all know, that is all women live for ;)
Now, now, it's not as bad as it used to be. Even Disney is moving away from that trope--Brave, Frozen, Zootopia...Actually, I think it's unfortunately swung around to the other extreme where you're a horrible misogynist with a weak female main character if there is any hint of romance involved. Which I think is equally nonsense. But the politics of the publishing market is what I'm finding I hate the most about the process. :(

Oh, and I found a book to read. I've decided I'm going to re-read Paradise Lost--though it may be a bad time for it, since Satan is reminding me too much of the election cycle, which already has me stressed to the limit. :p