• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
:welcome: to the Anchorage. What is an anchorage, you ask? It's a safe place in a storm; it's a place to drop your anchor and be sure you are still there in the morning; it's a place to hang out with your friends, tell a few jokes, laugh, cry, and party in the cockpit. All we ask is you leave politics and religion at the entrance to the anchorage, be kind, be caring, and don't anchor so close to another that you bump in the night :thankyou:

Lorraine

Yay, we back, we bad, we ready to have FUN! So missed this little place in my world and those who inhabited it. But now we have a cool new place and I'm ready to fill it with my peeps.

It's a cracker day in Opua today, sun's brightly shining, hardly any clouds, a breeze is blowing from the west, couldn't be much better. It's time to do the chores and then I might go for a walk in that lovely sunshine. Be well my friends and welcome back :inverted:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yay! I have missed the Anchorage too!

On another note (or maybe not :p). My application to adopt a cat/kitten has been approved by the shelter Taeyn came from. But ... it seems since I moved in here eight years ago, there is now a $250 pet deposit and an additional $25 per month pet rent. So ... I'm debating whether to proceed adopting another cat.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
WOW, that's outrageous!! I can understand, maybe, the monthly fee, but the $250 deposit?

I guess it's like a renter's 1 or 2 month deposit in case there's damage to the apartment when you move out, but $250 for a pet? Especially a small kit? Really??? Sheesh!!!

Lorraine

Pet rent? PET RENT?! What a crock. So the kitty wouldn't be your kitty, it would be their kitty and you rent it?! I am astounded, astonished and hornswoggled. They should pay YOU to look after it, if anyone gets paid. Over here the SPCA do charge a fee when you get a cat, kitten, dog or pup from them but it's to pay for the worming, vaccinations and speying/neutering of the animals. Still stunned by the rent...whatever next.

Lorraine

Anyway, welcome back to the Anchorage, Satira and Miss B. I missed you guys, and Pen and Terre, soooooo much. I hope everything gets back to normal(ish) real soon.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Pet rent is what a landlord charges you to house your pet. Because of course, the pet is going to cause all kinds of wear and tear and damage beyond what you (or your children) do.

Seriously?? I've been in this apartment for 8 years. The carpet would be replaced most likely if I moved out now. It for sure will be replaced if I stay here another 5 to 8 years. So ... in the meantime, they will be collecting $25 / month just in case the cat pees on the carpet or tears it up?

Taeyn did neither in the 8 years she was here. Or in the 8 years we lived at the Marine Club. Neither did Sushi.

You just can't call yourself a pet friendly complex if you charge Pet Rent (especially, when a lot of places don't stop charging that if your pet dies or never moved in). Pet Rent wouldn't bother me quite so much but it's rather unfair. If you are going to start charging more money in case a pet damages the place, then you should be adding on Child Rent and Smoker's Rent and College Student Rent. It's just as likely damage beyond the norm will occur with children, smokers, and college age kids.

Years ago, they separated the water and garbage out from our rent and we pay $42 a month for water, garbage, and fees for the company that processes the water/garbage payment. It irritates me because everyone pays the same amount. Whether it's a family of one (me) or a family of 5 (or a bunch of college girls/boys). Just no way I use as much water or produce as much garbage as they do. If you're not going to measure water use (as they don't here), the utility fee should be based on occupancy at the least.

The landlord can't really be blamed for the utility fee though. That was the city's doing. However, it isn't applied to all rentals. Only complexes where there are more than a couple units. If you rent a house or a duplex, or a small apartment complex, your utilities can continue to be included in rent.

Of course, we did NOT have those utilities deducted from our rent the utilities fee was added. Oh no. Of course not. That would have been fair.

Lorraine

Oh gosh, I sure did misunderstand, Satira! One more thing that's different in your neck of the woods to mine :)

My mum used to complain about a similar thing at her house. She was charged a flat fee by the borough council for water and rubbish and got very hot under the collar about having to pay more than a family. She wrote letters to the paper and everything. As per usual with bureaucrats, she may as well have saved her breath and her ink.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Wouldn't it be funny if you had to pay a monthly fee to the pet shelter when you adopted? I mean ... you could look at it as helping to save more cats, since the "contribution" would be used for rescuing and caring for abandoned cats.

Lorraine

My mind just boggled when I read 'pet rent'...I imagined them coming to take your cat back if you got late with the rent. As far as I know there's no pet rent in NZ, but you will lose your bond if your pet, child or anything else damages the rental.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't think NZ's bonds are the same as the bonds we have here in the US Satira. I'm assuming it's like the 1 or 2 month's deposit we have to give when renting an apartment, at least that's how it is here in NY. Boy I certainly don't miss those days.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Ah. Deposit. Yeah. That makes sense.

I won't miss those days if I ever become a home owner again. Renting is nice in that someone else has to handle fixing things that break. But ... I miss being able to paint my walls whatever color I want and well ... just "Owning" where I live. So to speak. Since it takes a lifetime to pay off a mortgage :p

Lorraine

Yes, Satira and Miss B, a bond in NZ is of up to four weeks rent and is held by the Dept of Building and Housing (a govt agency) and is refunded to you by them or transferred to your new rental if you shift. Any damage to the rental can be claimed by the landlord and taken out of the bond if approved.

Not something I have to worry about anymore :)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh, now that's interesting that it's held by the Dept of Building and Housing. Far better than what we deal with in the US, where the landlord gets the deposit. Which can make it difficult for people to get their deposit back even if there was no damage since not all landlords are decent people.

Because my current building was owned by the same company that owned my previous building, my deposit there was transferred here. But that's not generally the case. It's not uncommon for a security deposit to be first and last month's rent. Which you have to pay when you rent a new place. So ... you can be out the equivalent of four months rent when you move since you aren't going to get your deposit back from the last place until well after you moved into the new place.

The landlord may required you add more money to your security deposit as rent is increased. After several years when rent had doubled what it had been when I moved in, the owner of my previous building sent out notices to all the tenants notifying us that we needed to increase our Security Deposit. Needless to say, I talked to the property manager about it. Since it really didn't seem right to me. It wasn't. It isn't (or wasn't at the time, who knows now) legal to require a tenant to increase their Security Deposit as rent increases.

Lorraine

The government took over the handling of bonds after too many landlords were not refunding them. There were a lot of people being ripped off so the govt stepped in and made it mandatory for landlords to lodge bonds within 23 days. And the bond can be no more than the equivalent of four weeks rent. It can't be increased over time either, regardless of whether the rent has increased. It has protected tenants to a certain degree.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Night Lorraine! It's morning here. Though, I've been awake since 5:30 am. And I didn't go to bed until after 2 am!