• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Texturing realistic clothes

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
I want to texture realistic clothes which would have texture seams. Real clothes makers tend not to try to avoid texture seams. How can I make it look on purpose verses laziness?

English Bob

Adventurous
Texture seams are inevitable, and as you say real clothes have seams too so it need not be a problem. The main requirement of course is that the texture seams be in the places where the real life clothing would have seams; fortunately there's a good deal of variation here. A couple of tricks to make the seams look more intentional:
  • Add stitching along the seam (assuming this fits with the clothing you're texturing)
  • Exaggerate the seam slightly with a bump or displacement map, so that there will be a slight shadow along the seam when rendered and the cloth will appear 'folded in' (or whatever the correct sewing term is :) )

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
The majority of seams wouldn't have stitching along them. The simplest seams are just where two bits of fabric are placed together and stitched by hand or machine.
If you look at the plain seam here Different Types of Seams - Sew Delicious that is what your basic seam looks like.
Then you have your welt and flat felled seams which is what you see on Jeans and French seams which is what is used on finer more see through materials.

The author of the page says that there are no hard and fast rules but there used to be...nowadays anything goes.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
: )...as someone who has sewn all of my life I find it annoying when small details are off...seeing flat felled seams on stuff that shouldn't have it bugs me...but as I said earlier many people don't worry about stuff like that now

Lianam

Eager
The best way to make seams with stitches or not is to take the uvmap for said clothing item and open it up in Gimp or Photoshop and design item creating each stitch, seam, patch , zipper, pocket, design, etc using separate layers. This is where highlights, shading/shadows, stitching, etc comes in. I have done quit a bit of this on a different site that uses 3D objects with uvmaps. Is really dependent on how the uvmap is made. Here is an example of a texture I made for this other site. I hope this helps you out some. Highly possible is a bit trickier with Daz or Poser. I have not delved deap into texture creation in either one yet so I am not sure how this much detail would look in them. :)
patchwork embroidery demin jeans.jpg

Lianam

Eager
Most call it a 3D chat site. Based on the same principles, graphics and movement works better and faster with low poly models and textures. I have not done any work on the site for a while though. I like this stuff (Daz) for a creative outlet better. :)
Yea, pretty much the same principle. There is no disfuse, bump, displacement, shadow type of stuff that the creators can utilize one has to create the illusion of shadows, highlights, depth, etc all in a 2D program. I have only done simple recolor/changes with Daz. I was working on a pair of jeans for Dawn. I need to go back it. haha I will dig up a "promo" type picture of my map above and add it here. :)

Last edited:

Lianam

Eager
It's easy to recolor them if a person does things in layers. Just add a new color by adding new layer. :)
black jeans pic.png
tan jeans pic.png
patchwork embroidery blue jeans pic.png

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...layers are always good. I would suggest with clothing have your images at least at 2000 x 2000, if you look at many textures these days 4000 x 4000 is often the norm.

Lianam

Eager
Actually, with this site the biggest texture size is 512x256 anything bigger and the software will resize and distort if not in 2s like 256x512, 128x64, 32x64, etc. I enlarged it for you to see better the original. The final texture on the site I used is 256x256. I am use to creating very small textures. :)

Lianam

Eager
So, you are quite familiar with the smaller textures too. It really is a pain in the butt in reality. haha
I had thought about LIE for textures on Daz, but I am totally not familiar with it and not sure how it works exactly. The whole shader thing eludes me and unless the uvmap is set-up to truly utilize them that seems not the best way to go all the time.
There is way too much to learn I get brain farts, my eyes glaze over, and I need to leave things and come back to it at a later time. lol

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol..yep familiar with small textures.

Start small is my philosophy...work on creating textures for Daz with uv maps and build off the skills you already have. Then worry about using shaders and setting up materials once you have the textures. Generally most things need either a normal or bump map. Some things need a displacement map, specular map and opacity maps but it depends what it is.

Lianam

Eager
Yep, that is about where I am at right now. Small is good. Figure out lighting and creating/fiddling with textures, then go from there. :)

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
If you happen to be modeling the clothing yourself, one handy trick is to lay your actual uv seams when you unwrap where the seams would be on the clothing realistically. That way you'll have seams naturally and won't have to worry about faking it in the textures.

Last edited: