• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Support for Libraries

D

Deleted member 325

I just thought I would mention take a moment to thank the Library of Mahoning County for all that they do and provide for the community.

Those who know me, either personally, or from discussions in various forums and private chats or my time on Facebook know that I can be a bitter pill to the unwary. Bluntly stating problems I see, or pointing out any number of faults in software, politics, social programs, etc... without apology or reserve. I get it is hard for some to take. Those who do know will know I am particularly hard on Ohio, and especially the area around Youngstown, when it comes to corruption, dirty politics, abusive government, corporate ethics violations, fair trade violations, etc... (I have no real kind words for this area...).

However, the Youngstown-Mahoning library is really a godsend to the community. It is one of the only programs I actually feel gives or provides for the benefits an services for which my tax contributions help pay. The staff at the branch I visit frequently has only ever been nice to me - helping out with a smile and unafraid to look things up or help me find what I need. Their internet is decent speed and available to anyone with a library card - you can even use your own wi-fi devices (sure some things and sites are blocked...but it is a Public Library so they need to be careful). The librarians are always looking for ways to expand services and increase the support and aide they provide to the community around them - from assisting with blood drives, to scheduling story times and community events. While they may not always have what I am looking for they are linked into a larger network that share media in this part of the country so I can often get even sometimes obscure movies, books, or cds.

The thing I am most pleased about now though, without which I would not be sitting here typing this, is that they will lend out a Wi-Fi hotspot. This is just fantastic! Sure the waiting lists are currently long, and it is only a 7 day borrow time - but for 7 days I can access the internet to do any research I need at whatever time of day I want instead of having to run to the library and sit and wait. This is especially fantastic in this area where the local internet providers are overpriced, unreliable, or non-existent in some places (honestly I have 2 choices and they both suck). Given the economy in this area, these services are a real godsend. If I could convince them to rent out these wi-fi hotspots for longer periods I might rent one.

These past years have made me realize how much libraries can really affect a community that I never considered when I was younger and had more money at my disposal.

Wherever you may live, may you have a library as useful.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
That's cool about loaning the Wi-Fi hotspots!

We take out dvds and audio cds from our local library system as well as books. Libraries are awesome!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Our local library (1 1/2 blocks from here) was totally redone about 8 years ago, and they have 3 computer rooms (and WiFi access from anywhere else in the building), so I used to go there with my laptop before I decided to upgrade from dial-up to cable internet access. Prior to that I used to go to our local Starbucks, because they were next door (and had an entrance to) the local Barnes & Noble bookstore, which had WiFi access through my mobile provider. Once the Library went WiFi, I didn't have to walk that far, and it was easier to find a seat. ;)

I don't think I've ever heard of any of NYC libraries loaning WiFi hotspots, but I like the idea for folks who need it.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Very cool...I haven't heard of any loaning WiFi Hotspots either but it sounds like a great idea...