• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Superhero for Dawn

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Since it's in the Developing For Dawn subforum, I would assume this is for real . . . and I LIKE!!! :D

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thank you guys for the feedback! Sorry I didn't reply earlier - I wasn't getting notifications that there were any replies here - probably because this entire thread has been moved from where it was originally posted, so I am probably not subscribed for notifications here. ;p

I have been busy modeling more parts for the outfit, and this is what I have so far (for Poser):

1. Cowl
2. Body suit
3. Belt
4. Chest crest - it's conforming, so it can be quickly replaced by another one.

Today I have added:
5. Boots
6. Gloves. As a side note, I think these might be the 1st gloves ever modeled for Dawn. LOL

I am considering making a cape. In Poser I could just make it dynamic. In the render below I have used Dawn's body and head morphs, and it's working well.

As for the store questions, I have been doing this mostly for fun - I don't know if it CAN be sold. Maybe it could be considered "transformative media" if I called it something like "Dark Dawn"?

BatDawn2_1024.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks MissB! This time I have used a different method to model these boots, starting with spline modeling and then switching to box modeling, which made it easier to make a better shape. I think the whole thing will look better with a cape. I will see if I can get it done today. ^^

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Congrats on creating gloves Ken! That is a really tricky thing to do...

In regards to selling...the only things that I can see might be issues are the emblem on the chest and the ears on the cowl. The yellow symbol could always be provided as a freebie later also...I've seen that done with the supersuit at Daz. Someone who helped create it did a superman texture that they released as a freebie. Maybe have a range of morphs for the cowl? And sell it as a generic superhero?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Miss B: Thanks! Today I have added the cape, which was the last missing part, and also adjusted the colors a bit.I think now it looks a bit better.

@Pendraia: Thanks! I still have to work on the joint adjustments for the gloves, with the 17 joints per hand in all 3 directions. >__<

Indeed, the emblem is copyrighted. I saw a Batgirl outfit (sold as "Knight Miss") for iClone at the Reallusion store, and they haven't changed anything. They also have outfits for other superheroes, and I don't know how far that would go, or for how long. I could simply remove the cowl ears and make it a morph. The chest emblem is a separate conforming item, so it can be easily replaced with another one or removed altogether - that's something I kept in mind when I made it.

Straight Poser Firefly render with default lights.

BatDawn_1024.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhh Ken!! That looks great!! Very smart thinking on the emblem and cowl ears.

One question, or just a bit for clarification, the cape is a separate prop that can be simmed in the Cloth Room, or did you make it conforming?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Very smart! That was what I meant by the range of morphs comment...so good to hear that you'd already thought of it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Miss B: Thanks! I like the updated colors better than plain black. The cape is a parented prop, draped dynamically in Poser. I still haven't decided if it should be rigged with bones (that rarely looks right when posed), or maybe add posing morphs to it. It's only 1000 faces, so it has draped in almost real-time over here, and looks realistic in any pose. I was thinking, the belt also has the emblem, and the gloves have the bat flaps. Makes me wonder if the chest emblem and cowl ears would be enough? Almost everything on it is very recognizable.

@Pendraia: I have yet to see if removing the cowl ears will work out as I want. For once, it will surely mess up the UVs. The plan is to make a removing morph that leaves the area smooth and seamless. That's what I will try to pull out. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
@Miss B: Thanks! I like the updated colors better than plain black. The cape is a parented prop, draped dynamically in Poser. I still haven't decided if it should be rigged with bones (that rarely looks right when posed), or maybe add posing morphs to it. It's only 1000 faces, so it has draped in almost real-time over here, and looks realistic in any pose. I was thinking, the belt also has the emblem, and the gloves have the bat flaps. Makes me wonder if the chest emblem and cowl ears would be enough? Almost everything on it is very recognizable.
Posing morphs might be nice. Don't think it needs rigged bones if dynamic draping is available. That looks like it draped beautifully. I like the multiple points at the hem. :)

You know, I hadn't realized the belt has the emblem, and the bat flaps are on the gloves. I guess I was just concentrating on the overall look, rather than looking at each piece individually.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Miss B: Posing morphs might be the best option for the cape. I should be similar to morphs I have created for long hair. I think it will follow the same motion principles.

@sanbie: Thank you!

The question still remains if it can be a product or not. That may also require changing the belt buckle and removing the glove flaps as well. There won't be much left...