• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Me too Pen. It's a cute pose, and not one I would expect a bird to do.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
You would not think it but that cute little bird can produce a mighty kick with those little legs...and draw blood. They are very territorial, and aggressive to boot.

This is a great page to read and also documents the danger kiwi (you don't pluralise the kiwi bird, only the Kiwi human) face. That story at the start of the article occurred barely 10ks from where I live, it was heartbreaking. But reading about 'Pete'? That was great!

Kiwi Information -- and Myths

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I would...things may look cuddly but they aren't always how they look.

Cool link Lorraine...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Absolutely, Pen, I mean Australian Drop Bears?! Look sooo cute and all.
I had to look up Australian Drop Bears. I had no idea it was related to a Koala, which always looks so cute, but the Drop bears are predatory carnivorous versions.

Lorraine

And peeing. Many a tourist has gone home with smelly clothes after cuddling that cuddly koala.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Me too Pen. It's a cute pose, and not one I would expect a bird to do.

Actually most do do this behavior (preening) though I don't have too many poses for it in my bird collection...

You would not think it but that cute little bird can produce a mighty kick with those little legs...and draw blood. They are very territorial, and aggressive to boot.

Yes, most kiwis are very territorial and will engage in aggressive behaviors when approached. They make snorting sounds, hiss and do bill-snaps in threatening situations. If that doesn't work, then the claws come out.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
couple of thoughts.... It makes sense the Kiwi's claws/feet would be dangerous, since they can dig those burrows in the ground to live in!!! I did not know Kiwi were endangered.... the reality of this part of nature is so depressing... soon Ken's birds will be the last "living" remnants ....!?

Hmmm why didn't the Kiwi kill that dog? Seems like one could have.... ? and I wonder if they have a "captive breeding program" to breed them back up and release them?

and an unrelated thought: looking at Ken's way of modeling the mesh for a more fluffy/hairy look makes me think there's a way to put med=long HAIR on other animals, so then they would not need either the DS or poser hair mechanics!

Last edited:

Lorraine

The kiwi is only the size of a chook, a domestic hen. The dog was a big one and the kiwi didn't stand a chance. In fact kiwi don't stand a chance from any dog really except maybe handbag or toy dogs. There are now kiwi zones around NZ where people undertake not to have dogs, fenced and trapped areas where predators can't get in and people are becoming very aware of the danger. But it still only takes one careless or uncaring owner for kiwi to be killed.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That's sort of like some of the areas in Melbourne where you can't own a cat unless it's an inside cat. The area I live in doesn't do that but we don't have a lot of native bush still intact. We do have a valley area where they have done replanting and have set it up to encourage water birds...but we have a lot of rabbits and foxes all introduced species down there also.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Up here in on the Gold Coast if you live near a national park you are not supposed to own a cat

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That's like a lot of places on the other side of Melbourne...out near Healesville and places like it. Some councils are quite strict about it. Depends on the location and how close to native bush you are. We're in a fairly urban area so you just have to register the cat...mine has a little microchip also. Generally she is an inside cat but she is very good at escaping. I will sometimes let her out while I water the garden...she doesn't go far. When my husband does she hides under the house from him...and won't come back inside.