• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes, 20 years since Bloodsong (aka BL Render) and I released the very first Songbird ReMix set in February 2003. That set has been updated 3 times since it's inception.

1920x600-cardinalevolution-wdates.jpg
birthday wren.png

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's 3 more Turtles-- one left to go, and that's monster of the bunch... the Alligator Snapping Turtle. It can be up to 36" long, weigh 175 lbs and able to take a finger with a single bite (though you really have to provoke it for it to do that, snapping turtles are actually quite docile and it's urban legend that creates the threat).

Turtles2.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
The Grandstand set has finally been released.

and the release of the very much anticipated emu ... woohoo :inverted: :happydance:

All kidding aside, the cloud of "updating my entire catalog" is almost gone, so I'll be much freer to do lots of new stuff and not just sprinkling a little in-between updates. Many long stalled products are now on the horizon. The new "Turtle" set is a hint that I do plan to fill out the Nature's Wonders line this year. Snakes and spiders might be part of that mix. My bird endeavors will definitely include the Kingfisher and Bee-eater sets I've promised for years as well as some totally new models (the sage grouse/prairie chicken, perhaps chicken/roosters and hornbills, and who knows-- maybe the emu).

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
axolotl..? To be honest, I had to look it up... interesting critter... I won't promise anything but its on my radar now.

Today, marks the 20th Birthday of the Songbird ReMix series, and of course, there's a sale (Feb 24-28). my entire catalog is 50 to 65% off.

All Birds of Prey (full sets) are 60% off, as well as, some of my higher priced sets; Amazon, Yucatan, Owls... and SBRM Hawai'i and the birthday boy (the original set) are 65% off.

Sale.jpg

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
A couple notes... there's a few hours left in my 20th Anniversary sale...

My "new" turtle set will arrive in the store on Friday, March 3rd. It does require the Turtle base set. If you don't have it, the 50% off on the Anniversary sale is the time to get it. What I'm working on now will require the Dragonfly/damselfly base.

Here's Black-knobbed Map Turtle. The Black-knobbed Map Turtle is endemic to the southeastern United States. They eat mollusks, crayfish, and various aquatic vegetation. This species has been observed to consume beetles and dragonflies that have fallen into the river. They communicate vocally through grunting sounds. These turtles are also able to communicate underwater at frequencies too low for humans to hear. They use a form of tactile communication in which males stroke the heads of females with an elongated claw. Males also have been reported rubbing their heads against females. These efforts signal female turtles to breed with communicating males.

Black-knobbed turtle.jpg
They are currently considered "Near Threatened". This species has been petitioned and is under consideration for uplisting by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The black-knobbed map turtle is most likely threatened by habitat degradation and encroachment by humans. Humans have been known to remove dead logs that line the shoreline of rivers, which the turtle uses for basking in the sun. Also, indirect disturbances of nest sites may become an issue. Additionally, the turtle population could decline due to the consumption of their eggs by humans or other predators. Fisherman, though, in most cases not purposely, can kill turtles with their trotlines, gill nets, and hoop nets.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
A little update on what I'm doing... first, there are a few days left in my Turtles v2 introductory sale (both the turtles base set and v1 are also on sale). Here's another render of that product showing the Eastern Box and Painted Turtles, along with my next in line product, another Dragonfly/Damselfly set.

Turtles-painted and Box.jpg

Next, here's a render from "Nature's Wonders Dragonflies & Damselflies of the World v2", showing the endangered Thylacine Darners (from Australia)...

Thylacine Darners-Iray.jpg

...and finally, here's the project I'm currently working on that will premiere for my Audubon's Birthday Charity Sale, "Bee-Eaters of the World"...

bee-eaters.jpg

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
They look really tweet! :angel:

All puns and silliness aside I do love your work, and I love these too.