• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
all your birds were amazing...and now with the improvement they look so real!
wonderful work!

Thanks so much...

I put this in the Audubon Birthday thread but the Parrots update and subsequent new parrot sets are slightly delayed. A couple issues came up and I'm working this morning on solutions. They should show up by the end of the sale.

I put this in the Audubon Birthday thread but the Parrots update and subsequent new parrot sets are slightly delayed. A couple issues came up and I'm working this morning on solutions. They should show up by the end of the sale.

How many of the parrot sets will be released during the sale, if I may ask? I've got a full cart waiting for my paycheck to deposit but I was hoping to not spend more than $70 or so total so I need to take out the Flamingos if there's going to be more than one parrots set released. LOL I've got to have my parrots!

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
How many of the parrot sets will be released during the sale, if I may ask? I've got a full cart waiting for my paycheck to deposit but I was hoping to not spend more than $70 or so total so I need to take out the Flamingos if there's going to be more than one parrots set released. LOL I've got to have my parrots!

There will be two "new" sets and one "updated" set. The updated set is "Parrots of the World" (which will be renamed to Parrots v1: Parrots of the World". You can get that now (well, at least, non-updated version) and redownload it when the update is released. The other two sets waiting in the wings are "Parrots v2: Macaws of the World" (includes the 13 macaw species I haven't done plus one subspecies) and "Parrots v3: Lovebirds of the World" (this includes all 9 lovebird species, the 3 female dimorphic (different markings than the male) counterparts, the 3 subspecies and 3 additional variants of Yellow-collared Lovebird). While the original now "Parrots" is part of the deep discounts on the sale (53% off with RPs); new items are at 30% off with RPs). Their sale period, while they do go live will probably extend past my main sale.

Fingers crossed, I should be finishing up the corrections today. QAV then has to check them, and barring any additional issues, so you should start to see them towards the end of the sale. I'll give you fair warning, I'll already started volumes 4 (Cockatoos) and 5 (Amazons), they'll show up probably in mid to late June.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Ken do you intend to update your Crows and the Europe edition birds please?

Every Songbird ReMix volume will eventually be updated to the new format.

I've purposely been converting the hybrid models first (such as Shorebirds, Parrots, Gamebirds) before I work on the main SBRM base for a couple reasons.

First of all, since the main base encompasses the most birds in my library, I've been using the hybrid models to learn from the pitfalls of my conversions. It allows me to better see what works and what doesn't. What new morphs really help the models and what geometry, UV changes cause the least amount of pain and the most benefit in cleaning up and improving texture maps.

Secondly, for many sets like the PetShop, Australia, Legend, etc... I not only need the main SBRM base, but some of those hybrid models to complete the set updates. If the hybrid models are already done, my job is easier :)

My goal is to finally get to the base model this summer. After that some volumes will appear surprisingly quickly like Pet Shop (which is already 90% done because of those hybrid models- I just need to add the canaries).

To answer another question obvious question, yes once the SBRM birds are done, I will be updating everything else in my library that hasn't been done (e.g. Seashore House, Perching Places, Safari Camp etc.)

I was browsing through my old DAZ orders to find the parrot cage they had and found out I purchased Songbird Remix back in 2010. I sent you an email as per the instructions in this thread. Could you let me know if you received my email? I've been having some trouble with attachments lately. :) Now I can afford those Flamingos!!

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Unfortunately, I sold the rights to my parrot cage to DAZ, so I won't be updating that. I'll probably move towards just creating a new one down the line.

The base SBRM set is set to be updated this summer and Flamingos will be updated eventually too.

Last edited:

Steve.M

Enthusiast
Hello,

I was looking at the 3 Gamebird sets, vol 1 and 2 contains 8 poses(including flight), but vol 3 contains only 2 poses(no flight). Is that correct?

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hello,

I was looking at the 3 Gamebird sets, vol 1 and 2 contains 8 poses(including flight), but vol 3 contains only 2 poses(no flight). Is that correct?

That is correct, however, both Volumes 1 and 3 use the same Gamebird model, thus all poses in v1 will work with the birds in v3 and vice-versa. Volume 2 uses the Guineafowl model which is a different model than v1 and v3 have.

Saying that, I build all my birds with basically the same named body parts, so v1, v2 and v3 poses can work to a point in any of my bird models (e.g. sort of the same way a Genesis 8 pose will work on Dawn or Dusk).

Steve.M

Enthusiast
That is correct, however, both Volumes 1 and 3 use the same Gamebird model, thus all poses in v1 will work with the birds in v3 and vice-versa.

So vol 3 is basically a texture pack for vol 1.
Maybe your thoughts are that anyone who purchase vol 3 already owns vol 1, or should have to purchase it, if they want the poses.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
So vol 3 is basically a texture pack for vol 1.
Maybe your thoughts are that anyone who purchase vol 3 already owns vol 1, or should have to purchase it, if they want the poses.

No, it's not really a texture pack-- it is standalone set (includes the model) and features 16 pigeon and dove species unique to that set.
In some sets, I include quite a few poses in others, I don't include any poses at all... Generally the Volume 1s contains the most poses.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
The update to my 2007 "Parrots of the World" is finally here and in the Hivewire3D store. If you already own it, redownload it again from HW to get the latest version.

I also have some free downloads for parrots on my website. Look on my store page under the Parrots product.
The free birds include the three remaining subspecies of Patagonia Conure, the female Red-tailed Black Cockatoo and the Belize subspecies on the Yellow-headed Amazon known as the "Double Yellow-headed Amazon".

Last edited:
LOL I purchased the Parrots of the World along with several other packs this morning. I must have purchased right before the update! Just redownloaded it and I can hardly wait to start rendering all these birdies!! Thanks and I'm looking forward to the future parrot packs. :)

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I posted this comment in my Audubon Birthdays' thread and thought it should probably go here too...

"One thing I have been starting to do is update "parts" of volumes. Now that I have a couple functional updated models (like parrots and gamebirds), I've been pulling birds from some non-updated sets like the buttonquail, budgerigar, cockatiel, the Citron cockatoo as updating those when I have spare time. What means that sets like Australia v3, Pet Shop and Second Edition will be much easier to complete when I do start them. What I really need to get done is the update of the base SBRM model which will unlock the key to many of these sets being rereleased."

Here's an example of a portion of a product being updated, that will get released once I get the key SBRM base model updated. Since the Gamebird portion is done, I've got that part ready to go... and that should make for faster releases of the updates. (and yes, the pigeon sign will be included in SBRM Second Edition)

SBRM_SE_changes.jpg

Bought the Macaws of the World as soon as I got the notification. :D Question: Which packs are the Green Wing Macaws and Hyacinth Macaws in or have you done those yet? I was thinking I saw them but I'm not sure where. I'll have a render to show you soon; I'll post it in the render thread rather than here since I think that's what I'm supposed to do.

Sorry to bother you again, I can't edit my earlier post. I found a slight error in the macaws pack. For Superfly, you need to set all effects maps to a gamma of 1.0 or else they won't render correctly because gamma correction is automatic in Superfly. This means bump, specular, and especially transparency maps. Once I corrected this, everything looks so much better and smoother. :)