• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's an iray render of the Yellow-collared Lovebird and its 3 variants. Both the "Blue" and "Cobalt" forms do appear in the wild (surprizingly). the yellow form "Lutino" is popular within the aviculture trade.

lovebirds-iray.jpg

I just want to say THANK YOU for adding Goffin's Cockatoo and Pacific Parrotlet to your to do list of parrots. I've been wanting to create artworks of the parrots I had for nearly twenty years now and soon I'll finally get to do it! I don't think I've purchased your bird sets yet (I could be wrong, I've got too much content, LOL). What do I need to purchase to get ready for the parrots sets? Do I just need the original Songbird Remix or do I need to buy more? Thank you again!

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I just want to say THANK YOU for adding Goffin's Cockatoo and Pacific Parrotlet to your to do list of parrots. I've been wanting to create artworks of the parrots I had for nearly twenty years now and soon I'll finally get to do it! I don't think I've purchased your bird sets yet (I could be wrong, I've got too much content, LOL). What do I need to purchase to get ready for the parrots sets? Do I just need the original Songbird Remix or do I need to buy more? Thank you again!

You're welcome. You don't anything extra for the parrot sets. All my Songbird ReMix sets are standalone. In a few days, you'll be able to get them at a substantial savings and help protect endangered birds at the same time when my Audubon's Birthday event kicks in.

Grey-headed Lovebirds in Iray
grey-headed lovebirds.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
While I'm sure I don't need to prove to anyone I can improve a 13-year old product, I thought doing a side-by-side comparison of one of the original 2007 promos from "Parrots of the World" to the 2020 update would show how the product has evolved. It's amazing to me that there could be such a striking difference based on geometry and morph changes (textures, while improved, are still pretty much the same).
Parrots2020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Absolutely the only think I could even try to criticize is the thickness of the wings. Particularly the folded wings. They do not look thick enough to contain the bones and muscles, even given that birds have very thin bones.

But that is undoubtedly something that may need some additional tech advance in order to implement, so I'm not going to make any kind of a criticism of it.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Absolutely the only think I could even try to criticize is the thickness of the wings. Particularly the folded wings. They do not look thick enough to contain the bones and muscles, even given that birds have very thin bones.

But that is undoubtedly something that may need some additional tech advance in order to implement, so I'm not going to make any kind of a criticism of it.

While not easy to do... I might be able to work up some sort of morph to thicken to wing/hip connection and make the disc-like part of the wing pop a little when folded. It's probably not going to happen with this parrot model immediately but I'll try to implement it on the next models I update. If it works, and give an appreciable enhancement to the look, I'll expand to the existing library.

Today is Arbor Day... so here's a couple photos of a rare Californian native plant oddity, the Snake Lily. You'll notice from the 2nd photo where this lily gets its name... the flower stalk is over 4' (120 cm) long.

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

Last edited:
I've added several sets to my cart and as soon as I get paid early next month, I'll be buying them. Thank you for extending the sale until May 11 since I won't get paid until after the 1st of May. I've got a few questions if you don't mind. :)

Have you ever done an ecletus parrot (Eclectus roratus)? I've met a few of those and they are so beautiful and intelligent. I love that the males and females look so different that people used to think they were two different kinds of birds.

In regards to the SBRM Flock Formations, those are standalone props and not just poses for other bird sets like I originally thought, correct?

Will the Pet Shop eventually be updated like the parrot packs? I've got to have a Sun Conure!

I sure hope I make more sales between now and May because every time I look through your catalog, I find another bird that I just HAVE to have. I'm so happy that a portion of the sales goes to help real birds.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Have you ever done an ecletus parrot (Eclectus roratus)? I've met a few of those and they are so beautiful and intelligent. I love that the males and females look so different that people used to think they were two different kinds of birds.

In regards to the SBRM Flock Formations, those are standalone props and not just poses for other bird sets like I originally thought, correct?

Will the Pet Shop eventually be updated like the parrot packs? I've got to have a Sun Conure!

I'll add the Ecletus to the parrot wish list.
Flock Formations I/II are props and not poses. Each prop has 3-8 morphs that allows you move individual birds (reshaping the formation) and has wings flaps morphs (FF1) or feeding peck morphs (FF2) so you can animate the flock or give a different look in a still render. There's a YouTube video I did advertising the original Flock Formations (ignore the available at DAZ advertising-- I did the video when I was still there. The music/singing is my sister, Kristen Black.

Pet Shop is about 90% done for the upgrade... you'll see in appear sometime this summer. All the remaining older SBRM sets will eventually undergo updates-- it just takes time-- it's a lot of work.

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
For some reason I though Ken had done an Eclectus parrot but I must have been thinking of one of his other awesome Aussie ones lol :D

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I did a close cousin to the Eclectus (Eclectus roratus) , the King Parrot (Alisterus scapularis)(Australia v3)

Oh, I just thought of one more parrot you could possibly add to the wish list. A Senegal Parrot.

I almost purchased one of those several years back but I already had three birds and was worried I wouldn't be able to shower all four with enough attention as parrots require a lot of attention... especially a Goffin's Cockatoo. I miss them so much; these days I just watch birds in nature rather than own any. I'm really looking forward to being able to create artworks with all these birds. My paycheck can't get here soon enough!

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Last edited:

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yeah, their Sunday Sweets feature some amazing cakes. Too impressive to actually eat sometimes.
The rest of the week they feature wrecks that are sometimes hilarious.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
In celebration of Audubon's birthday, the Cake Wrecks' site is doing a Sunday Sweets presentation of bird cakes.
WOW! Those are all wonderful, but the wedding (?) cake with the Peafowl is just fantastic!!