• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I'll see if I can create a deformer morph for straighten those

I did the morph, now have to figure out how to get into the existing systems in DS and Poser. For DS, I think I'll I have to do it simply add the morph to the Data... Morph folder. For Poser, its trickier because each character is a CR2 with all the morph codes built-in, thus every single parrot file would need to be edited.. I'm leaning towards simply rewriting the folded wing morph with the new straighter feathers adjustment and saving it into the .PMD which is an universal file. The reason original for the slight curve was that some species rumps were larger and intersected with the folded wing feathers. This is a minor issue that could be fixed by users with some minor wing pose adjustments, so I think is the best approach and may just rewrite the folded wing morphs on both DS and Poser. I'll play with these approaches today

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Nightjars are also referred to as Goatsuckers because they were believed to suck the blood/milk of goats are night. Actually they were eating insects the livestock attracted.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Night, because they are a nocturnal bird + Jar, for their distinctive jarring song.

Jar - to have a harsh or unpleasant effect on someone or something

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Geeze, I couldn't take more than 30 seconds of it, and can't imagine anyone listening for the whole 10 minutes. ~cringe~

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
So, there's a nightingale, a Night owl, and now a nightjar, but no actual nightbird? :)
There's also a Nighthawk (which is a type of nightjar)

My local nightjar, the common poorwill, has a likeable song... they're in our yard every evening all summer long

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Now that's not bad at all. Certainly a lot easier to listen to than the one Satira posted.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Now you know why it's called a nightjar!

There were other videos of nightjars that were more pleasant to listen to, but they wouldn't have illustrated why their song was found to be so unpleasant to those who named them.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
there goes my theory on why they are called nightjars

I'd better check up now why they're called blue tits.. I'm probably wrong with that as well :oops: :inverted:

Nightjar.jpg

Harimau

Eager
Did you know that Edward Lear of "the Owl and the Pussycat fame" was also a famous painter of birds? He published a Folio on Parrots entitled "Illustrations of the family of Psittacidœ, or parrots : the greater part of them species hitherto unfigured, containing forty-two lithographic plates, drawn from life, and on stone" Here are a sample of his lithographs the ones on the Cockatoos and Macaws:

Illustrationsfa00Lear_0015.jpg

Illustrationsfa00Lear_0017.jpg

Illustrationsfa00Lear_0019.jpg

Illustrationsfa00Lear_0021.jpg

Illustrationsfa00Lear_0023.jpg

Illustrationsfa00Lear_0025.jpg

Illustrationsfa00Lear_0027.jpg

Illustrationsfa00Lear_0029.jpg

Enjoy.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
My progress has slowed a bit on cockatoos as I work with some of the more difficult ones to create with my models (e.g. Palm and Gang-gang) and nurse my real cockatoo, Elsa, back to health. My 25 year old Lesser Citron (found in SBRM Second Edition) unfortunately had to have a portion of her wing removed due to a large growth. So for the less two weeks, she's been riding on my shoulder, as I constantly stop her from trying to rip off her bandage. Trying stop a fussy, constantly preening cockatoo is a full-time job.

I have had "some" progress... here's the Major Mitchell Cockatoo
MajorMitchell.jpg

Stezza

Dances with Bees
awesome..

you know, one day a few years ago I had one of my pigeons home after flying 300km with virtually it's head hanging on by a thread, she had been attacked by a peregrine and escaped it's clutches but with a very serious sliced neck.. I thought she was tough to get home but didn't hold out hope for her surviving.
I stitched her head back on and packed the wound with vegemite, true story, within a week she was out flying again, unbelievable.

I guess what I'm saying is that being a bird keeper a jar of vegemite is a pigeon fanciers go to medicine for when patching up is required and we do a lot of patching up.

Hope Elsa gets through it all ok.... if only you had some vegemite to speed up the process ;) :inverted:

I still seem to have some "Parrot Fever" so Parrots v4 is well under way. Parrots v4? Yes, subtitled "Cockatoos of the World". Here's a peak of some of the Black Cockatoos...

Wow, I had no idea there were so many black cockatoos! The only one I previously knew of is the Palm Cockatoo. I can see why the Palm would give you trouble; their crest is more like spikes and that beak looks so out of proportion with the rest of its head! They are beautiful though. I wasn't able to purchase the Lovebirds set yet but I'm already saving up for the Cockatoo set! I must have my Goffin back in at least 3D form.

My progress has slowed a bit on cockatoos as I work with some of the more difficult ones to create with my models (e.g. Palm and Gang-gang) and nurse my real cockatoo, Elsa, back to health.

I send my best to you and Elsa. It's so hard seeing them not well. My Goffin had a stroke when he was about 11 years old. He needed round the clock special care that I wasn't able to provide so I had to make the very difficult decision to give him up to someone who specializes in "special needs" parrots. Still breaks my heart to think about him as I raised him from a chick. Between that and the death of my Pacific Parrotlet at age 12 around the same time I stopped raising parrots and got a little dog instead. :( I'd like to be able to adopt another parrot some time in the future though.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
The Goffin is on my list to do for the cockatoo set. I'm guessing that set will be in the store mid-to-late next month along with my new Nature's Wonders model. Today I'm going to work on some of the easier cockatoos; the blue-eyed, the white and the yellow-crested.

The bandage should come off in a week and Elsa is pretty much back to her old self... screaming, demanding to be the center of attention always. As I've told friends who "ooohhh" and "awhhh" over the possibly of adopting a parrot.... "if you want a 2.5 year old child for the rest of your life, get a cockatoo".

Elsa isn't the only infirmed bird in the house. We also have "The Dude", an pigeon we adopted and couple years ago who had a broken wing. The Dude follows me everywhere and likes to snuggle by my feet in the hopes of getting head and chin rubs. I'm pretty good with pigeon dialect, half the time my wife can't tell if its him or me calling.