• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird ReMix 10th Annual Audubon Sale!

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
That isn't good news Ken.

Agreed, but knowing the challenges ahead, gives us a chance to correct some of the issues we've imposed on them before it's too late... tightening the restrictions on commercial fisheries and protecting their wintering grounds is a start. Reducing Carbon emissions is tougher. What it really takes is the political will to do these things and that is up to us, the voters, to voice our concerns to our representatives through calls, letters and emails and override the daily special interests barrage they get. And if they won't listen, let them know you'll vote for someone that will-- that usually gets their attention.

The bird week here is getting off to an exciting start though!

For the first time a pair of Gambel's Quail (there's a small pocket of them in this area) came to the backyard feeder to eat! Earlier this spring a flight of Eurasian Collared Doves arrived. It was the first time I had seen them in this area. They are enjoying the feeder too. What a delight to have them visiting & I am privileged to be able to see them from my computer desk.

The Eurasian Doves have an unique call, they found our yard a few years ago and we have a resident pair. Did you know that a few Eurasian Collared-Doves were introduced to the Bahamas in the 1970s? They made their way to Florida by the 1980s and then rapidly colonized most of North America and are now found all the way up to Alaska. Ornithologists are "on the fence" on whether this dove is invasive threat to endemic species or not.

We had another invader to our yard appear last week, who thankfully hasn't taken up residence ... (Elsa, our Cockatoo, was not pleased by the visit-- my hearing is just starting to return after her screams warning of the invaders- lol)

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Well, another Audubon sale is in the books and I'd like to take this time to thank all of you who participated in it. This year's donation will be given primarily to support the Tri-colored Blackbird preservation program with a little to help Audubon's Kern River and Starr Ranch preserves. Thank-you again!

Added: Today also marks the dvd/blu-ray release of "The Messenger" (a documentary about the plight of birds). Watch it and try to share it with others.

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Awesome video!!! Thanks also for sharing interesting bird facts!! I have enjoyed reading about them daily!!

Dracona

Motivated
I have some of the song bird remix from when you were at daz is that the base I need for all the others?

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Great video and those intruders do have lovely heads (Sorry, Elsa)

I have some of the song bird remix from when you were at daz is that the base I need for all the others?

I think originally some might have needed the original SBRM product, but Ken redid things years ago and NONE of them require the original base - bases are included.

Any products that require something else (for example, some of the Nature's Wonders Series) will have it clearly stated on the product page.

And welcome to HW!!

Dracona

Motivated
Great video and those intruders do have lovely heads (Sorry, Elsa)

I think originally some might have needed the original SBRM product, but Ken redid things years ago and NONE of them require the original base - bases are included.

Any products that require something else (for example, some of the Nature's Wonders Series) will have it clearly stated on the product page.

And welcome to HW!!
thank you for your answer.

Dracona

Motivated
has anyone used his songbirds in iray and are there any plans to make iray textures for them. here is one I have done in iray not happy with how it looks in iray. and I use iray all the time now.
test song bird in iray.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist

I strongly encourage you to take advantage of my product transfer program.

has anyone used his songbirds in iray and are there any plans to make iray textures for them. here is one I have done in iray not happy with how it looks in iray. and I use iray all the time now.

I have plans to update the entire library for iRay and Superfly plus some modernization of the cr2 code, but please understand, that is a huge undertaking. There are close to 1,000 birds that need to be revised. Chances are some of them will get improvements such as new textures. My policy has always been free updates which means no income for a lot of time spent. I'm working off and on on them while doing some new projects (that I can make some revenue on). Since the updates will affect the entire library it makes sense to release all the updates at once rather than incrementally. I'm aiming for an end of the year target but that might be wishful thinking.

Dracona

Motivated
I strongly encourage you to take advantage of my product transfer program.

I have plans to update the entire library for iRay and Superfly plus some modernization of the cr2 code, but please understand, that is a huge undertaking. There are close to 1,000 birds that need to be revised. Chances are some of them will get improvements such as new textures. My policy has always been free updates which means no income for a lot of time spent. I'm working off and on on them while doing some new projects (that I can make some revenue on). Since the updates will affect the entire library it makes sense to release all the updates at once rather than incrementally. I'm aiming for an end of the year target but that might be wishful thinking.
thank you for letting me know I sent you the email. I do plan to buy more of you birds. thank you for your time.

eclark1894

Visionary
So I was gonna post a pic to pay Ken back for the Egyptian Vulture image he posted, but when I saw this, I thought this could be Ken in a dress with glasses. Protecting the widdle tweety birds from that bad ol puddy-tat.:sneaky: