• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

So, I am off...

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
...off to see the steam fair, that is!

I'll not be online much until after next Monday, because I will be mostly at the Great Dorset Steam Fair! It's the 50th anniversary of the fair this year, and they have 500 steam engines (including steam rollers and traction engines), steam organs, steam-drive carousels and swing-boats, 50 shepherd's huts, plus various heavy horse displays including a working steam-powered fire-engine pulled by Percherons- and they get them up to a gallop in the ring, it's awesome stuff.​

Img_5083.jpg

I usually take a shedload of photos, if anyone wants anything specifically from that list (or check the GDSF website to see what else they have) as reference photos I'll probably get a chance to check the forum from my phone, and I'll see what I can do but no promises. I will be staying overnight on the horse lines, so I can get backstage sort of stuff as well as in-the-ring stuff, and there's a working plot if anyone is interested in plows and so on- horse-drawn and tractor-drawn.

Gotta admit to some minor jeaously here ;)as thats alway a great show!

Though sometimes do manage to get to here ...Amberley Museum...highly recommended.
Especially for Bond fans as parts of a Bond movie where filmed there, all the original movie signs are still in place and the museum has a small display about that. Plus some of the (volunteer) guides where actually present when filming.

eclark1894

Visionary
...off to see the steam fair, that is!

I'll not be online much until after next Monday, because I will be mostly at the Great Dorset Steam Fair! It's the 50th anniversary of the fair this year, and they have 500 steam engines (including steam rollers and traction engines), steam organs, steam-drive carousels and swing-boats, 50 shepherd's huts, plus various heavy horse displays including a working steam-powered fire-engine pulled by Percherons- and they get them up to a gallop in the ring, it's awesome stuff.​

I usually take a shedload of photos, if anyone wants anything specifically from that list (or check the GDSF website to see what else they have) as reference photos I'll probably get a chance to check the forum from my phone, and I'll see what I can do but no promises. I will be staying overnight on the horse lines, so I can get backstage sort of stuff as well as in-the-ring stuff, and there's a working plot if anyone is interested in plows and so on- horse-drawn and tractor-drawn.

So you're off. I've always thought so, but just a bit. :sneaky:

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
I hope to see some great horse photos, especially if CWRW (sorry, have forgotten her name) can work her magic and make Harry more skins!!
You lucky duck! Have a great time!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I hope to see some great horse photos, especially if CWRW (sorry, have forgotten her name) can work her magic and make Harry more skins!!
It's Laurie, sapat. CWRW's name is Laurie Prindle. ;)

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I'm baa-aack!

How's this for harness??

IMG_0238s.jpg

It was the centenary celebration of the ending of WW1, and also the 50th year of the Fair, so they had a parade of horse-drawn military vehicles, a Land Girls hay-making demonstration and a Victory Parade. There were also a set of harness and a waggon that appeared at the first Fair, both still in full working order (the harness is about 150 years old- it's had a few of the small brass stud decorations replaced over the years but the leather is all original).

There were steam engines (mostly traction engines including showman's engines, some road rollers and other road vehicles, two fire-engines) as far as the eye could see (last count I heard was 720, the guys from the Guinness Book of Records were going round confirming the new record). I got to climb up on a traction engine and sit in the steersman's seat. Hundreds of vintage tractors as well.

Tired now!

Terre

Renowned
That sounds like as much fun as the friend who is at a Steampunk gathering over there.
Looking forward to seeing more photos.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
WOW, that's got to be heavy on the horse's back.

I'd suppose so- I can lift a full set but only just, I also have a problem lifting it up high enough to stop it dragging on the ground- but the horses are SO strong. It takes three of us to move a vehicle around ourselves at a slow pace that one of the horses can just trot away with (or, on one occasion at another location, canter away with when the arena loud-speaker gave an unexpected and very loud squeal).

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, I certainly wouldn't want to be one of those tasked with getting that set on the horse's back, that's for sure.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Harnessing can be done with one. The collar goes on first, by itself, and depending on the breed (and thus the shape of the head and the thickness of the neck) it may be put over the head upside-down then turned around into the correct position. Then the hames (the long metal bits on the collar), with or without some harness already attached to it (it depends on the purpose of the harness and whether there will be just one horse, a pair, or more). If there's a cart saddle (as for the one in the photo) that goes on separately. The bridle goes on last, either alone or, for agricultural harness, over a headcollar.

Edit- It's still easier to harness with two, or more!