• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Smart Prop Saving Problem

quietrob

Extraordinary
I have a tray.
I have a bunch of apples.
The apples are bunched together on the tray.

The apples are parented to the tray. Here are the apples and the tray.

Apples on Tray.jpg

I want save the tray and with the apples parented to the tray. I want to do this so I don't have to create a stack of apples again. Again. The Apples are already parented to the tray using the hierarchy editor. I think it may have something to do with editing the parent prop.

How do I save the tray with apples to my runtime. Thank you for your help.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Good question Rob, as I've seen props (such as a gun or sword) which are saved so they load parented to the character, and yet, the character isn't part of the saved file.

I can't think how you would do it with one prop parented to another prop, but hopefully someone will now how to do it. That way you can reuse the tray for another bunch of fruit, like say grapes, or pears, or oranges.

Daio

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
I know it can be done in Poser at least as I've got a number of props that I've bought that load as a set parented to one of the props. But how it is done, I don't know.

quietrob

Extraordinary
It has been done, I'm sure of that. Initially I read that you can only parent a prop to a figure. Yes, I can find a dummy or null figure and then parent the tray to it but I'm not sure it would include the apples. I have a prop by Ironman13 which is a prop that has lights parented to it. The package includes many different lights parented to a hidden prop. I'll see if I still have notepad++ and see how that is constructed.

Hey! At least I have a valid question. Thanks for responding Miss B. There are a few sadder than a lonely question in the forum.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
This is the way I do it ...

Save the tray prop.
Save each of the apples separately as temp files.

Then in a file editor (like notepad ++), edit the tray pp2 file.
Copy the three sections of code from each of the apple files to the appropriate tray section.
Once you've got all your code transferred to the tray pp2, delete the temp apple pp2s.

So, you'd have something like this.

{

version
{
number 9
}

prop Tray
{
storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
objFileGeom 0 0 :Runtime:Geometries:Your Folder:Tray.obj
}
prop Apple1
{
storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
objFileGeom 0 0 :Runtime:Geometries:Your Folder:Apple.obj
}
prop Apple2
{
storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
}
prop Apple3
{
storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
}

And so on, until you have all your apples added here.
Then would be your prop property lines, starting with your tray prop

prop Tray
{
name Tray
on
bend 1
animatableOrigin 0
dynamicsLock 1
hidden 0
addToMenu 1
castsShadow 1
includeInDepthCue 1
useZBuffer 1
parent UNIVERSE
creaseAngle 80
subdivLevels 0
subdivRenderLevels 0
backfaceBehavior 2

Bunch more Tray lines (channels, offsetA, scales, rotate, translate, offsetB, materials, and the "closing" tray property lines

locked 0
backfaceCull 0
visibleInReflections 1
visibleInRender 1
visibleInCamera 1
visibleInIDL 1
displacementBounds 0
shadingRate 0.2
smoothPolys 1
}

Now paste the code from your temp apple1 pp2 file

prop apple1
{
name apple1
on
bend 1
animatableOrigin 0
dynamicsLock 1
hidden 0
addToMenu 1
castsShadow 1
includeInDepthCue 1
useZBuffer 1
smartparent Tray
creaseAngle 80
subdivLevels 0
subdivRenderLevels 0
backfaceBehavior 2

Bunch more Tray lines (channels, offsetA, scales, rotate, translate, offsetB, materials, and the "closing" apple1 property lines

locked 0
backfaceCull 0
visibleInReflections 1
visibleInRender 1
visibleInCamera 1
visibleInIDL 1
displacementBounds 0
shadingRate 0.2
smoothPolys 1
}

Continue pasting the code from each of your temp apples pp2 files until you have all your apple property lines for each of your apple props added here.

prop apple2
{
name apple2
on
bend 1
animatableOrigin 0
dynamicsLock 1
hidden 0
addToMenu 1
castsShadow 1
includeInDepthCue 1
useZBuffer 1
smartparent Tray
creaseAngle 80
subdivLevels 0
subdivRenderLevels 0
backfaceBehavior 2
channels

Bunch more Tray lines (channels, offsetA, scales, rotate, translate, offsetB, materials, and the "closing" apple2 property lines

locked 0
backfaceCull 0
visibleInReflections 1
visibleInRender 1
visibleInCamera 1
visibleInIDL 1
displacementBounds 0
shadingRate 0.2
smoothPolys 1
}

Keep adding the lines for each apple prop from each temp apple pp2.
After your last apple prop, include addActor lines for each of the apple props to the tray doc & addActor lines

doc
{
addActor Tray
addActor Apple1
addActor Apple2
addActor Apple3
and so on until you have an addActor line for all your apple props
}
}

quietrob

Extraordinary
It makes my head spin.

But that's no reason I can't learn this. When you say "Save the Apples as a Temp File". Do you mean a separate file? Do I save the each of the Apples to my runtime? (Doubtful, there are 29 apples in that stack above)

quietrob

Extraordinary
I'm re-reading your instructions.

Let's begin...

Firing up Poser. Deleting everything from the scene except for the apples and tray.

Done.

Save the Tray Prop. (That's the last thing I did when I realized the apples didnt save themselves along with the tray to my runtime.)

quietrob

Extraordinary
The apples have all been smart parented to the tray. I'm going to save them as individual unparented props. Unless you say don't.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I was wrong. There are 37 Apples on that tray. This will take a bit...in the meantime...Thank you, Satira. Your help is much appreciated.

37 Apples. Talk about needing a saving time application for saving 37 individual apples.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The reason for saving each of the apples as a separate prop is to get their rotate and translate positions.

You can save those temp apple pp2 files anywhere. Since you will eventually delete them.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh, and you can save them as unparented as long as you change that parent line to smartparent Tray when you compile your new tray pp2.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It IS a long and tedious process. But it's the only way I've found to do it. It would be fabulous if someone who knows an easier/quicker way chimes in.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Copy and paste the first one, then just keep copy and pasting, change the number, copy and paste, change the number. Stop when your eyes hurt and your head is spinning for a break...

Oh wait, that won't work, the axis translations for each of them is different...

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You can copy and paste the same set of code over and over to get all 37 apples in your file. But you then need to do a side by side comparison and change the translate and rotate numbers based on your temp apple files.

I think it ends up being more efficient and less prone to error to copy and paste your temp apple file into the tray file.

quietrob

Extraordinary
And I did it the long way. I don't feel like positioning those apples a second time to get that stacked look.

Hey rokket! Howzit??!!

Time to edit the tray file. I just happen to have Notepad++ ready to go.

quietrob

Extraordinary
1st issue. The word tray appears 4 times. There is no word named obj. Apparently it's one of the props that has no OBJ connected to it.

2nd issue. No where does it say obj in the apple text file. I know it sounds silly but is it necessary?

Both the tray and apple props are mentioned 4 times (each) in their pp2 files. I'm hoping it's the first instance of apple and tray. I don't know.

D

Deleted member 325

I'm betting they are using embedded geometry. Still not a deal breaker give me a couple minutes.

D

Deleted member 325

Ok, here's what to do...
• Save Prop, but open the select Subset option and tick off the tray and all of the apples so they all save in one file.
• Open this new prop in a text editor (I recommend Notepad++)
• First do a search for your Apple prop, then search for this line: parent UNIVERSE and change it to smartparent (name of tray prop)
Repeat for each apple in prop group.

Alternately, load up a null figure, parent everything to the null, and save as a CR2 group.

quietrob

Extraordinary
And that seemed to work before I got to editing the file. I can choose the file and it loads, Apples and all. I can move the apples one at a time. If I want I can move ALL the apples by selecting the tray.

I did try editing the file. I could only find one instance of parent Universe. That was for the tray. Strange as I didn't think I saved each as apple as a smartprop. I answered no all 37 times.

Still it worked!